Why are people so afraid of guns?

This is a discussion on Why are people so afraid of guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's interesting to me how many people are simply afraid of guns. The other day, I was coming back from the range time required for ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Why are people so afraid of guns?

Why are people so afraid of guns?

It's interesting to me how many people are simply afraid of guns.

The other day, I was coming back from the range time required for my CCW license. I was supposed to have dinner with my girlfriend's family and some of her relatives. Her father knew I was getting my CCW and that I had gotten a new gun. Being in the army and somewhat interested in firearms, he had asked me a few days back to show him my new XD-M some time. Since I was on the way back from the range and had to go there for dinner anyhow, I took in my XD-M in the case and sat it in the closet until the "appropriate" time to show him.

When dinner's over, everyone (about 10 of us) were just sitting around talking. He asked if I had brought my pistol for him to look at. I told him yes, and that I'd show him later if he'd like. He said, "I'll just take a look right now." I asked him where he'd like to look at it, and he responded, "right here is fine." Being that it's his house, I proceeded to bring it too him at the table. I opened the case, dropped the mag out (that was empty anyhow), and opened the slide to double-check the chamber. Five of the women and two of the men at the table scambled to get out of the dining room as fast as possible. I heard someone comment, "Let me outta here" and "No kidding, I'm not getting shot". Later on...someone even referred to me as Dirty Harry, which is somewhat humorous.

I tried to explain that it wasn't loaded, and there's no concerns to be had. I even said that this gun is safer than that table knife laying there.

I just think it's interesting how some people are just terrified of guns, instead of realizing that a gun is what can SAVE their life.

2. Remove Ads

Main Entry:
    ig·no·rance
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈig-n(ə-)rən(t)s\
    Function:
    noun
    Date:
    13th century

: the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness

Source - Ignorance - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

- Janq

"When did ignorance become a point of view?" - Dilbert
    Wunderneun and mano3 like this.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    You can thank the liberal news media and Hollywood for a lot of the fear, they try to make people think firearms will just go on a killing spree all by themselves.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    +1 Janq, that says it all!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    They know nothing about a gun other than what they read in the paper, see in the media or the Hollywood glamorized/demonized versions. They also buy into the anti's hype without checking the facts for themselves. Remember the old saying "The Truth Will Set You Free"? For the vast majority of sheeple in this world that does not apply, because they refuse to see/hear the truth.
    accessbob likes this.

In fairness, it would probably be difficult to handle a gun at a dining room table full of people without inadvertently pointing it at someone. Even being familar with guns, and knowing absolutely the gun is empty, I don't like when the gun is pointed at me.

Though I'm sure their ignorance led to the mass exit from the room.

People in general are dumb...Not everyone, but most.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I think anybody that radical or afraid of guns are just scared of everything in general. They are the people on the road that will not go over the speed limit, they are very dramatic about anything they feel to be dangerous. They were probably picked on as a child or in school and their spouses are more then likely the pants wearer of the house. If they are lucky enough to find someone dumb enough to marry them.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Because guns kill people?!?!

That great, janq. Anyway, this got me wondering: How many of us aren't afraid of guns, but are afraid of something else that can't hurt us? Most people are afraid of or very uncomfortable around bees, even though even if they land on you they are unlikely to sting. Mice? Insect? I personally hate creepy-crawly things, even the ones I know won't hurt me...Like cockroaches. I would not do well on Fear-Factor.
    tony1990 likes this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

rokclmb......

Guns Kill Sheeple!
    vice87 likes this.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

High Places

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    That great, janq. Anyway, this got me wondering: How many of us aren't afraid of guns, but are afraid of something else that can't hurt us?
    I hate ladders yet flying does not bother me I hate rappelling but sky diving is fun. Oh and I can't stand snakes unless I am positive thet are not venomous. One more thing: stupid people in positions of power.

Cheers
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

For some it is the fear of the unknown, for others it is because they are scared by the unknowing!
    Men look out for themselves; real men look out for others!

because people with guns kill people.

Cupcake...yea, I'm terrified of spiders. Even the tiny ones. Don't know why though.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links