Thoughts on our responsibilities as CCL holders

This is a discussion on Thoughts on our responsibilities as CCL holders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now, I realize I'm a relatively new member, and perhaps not as wise and experienced as many on this forum. I've seen a number of ...

Thread: Thoughts on our responsibilities as CCL holders

Now, I realize I'm a relatively new member, and perhaps not as wise and experienced as many on this forum. I've seen a number of posts referring to "sheep", "sheeple", "the ignorant" etc. I agree on a lot of levels. But I also feel very strongly that a little education goes a lot further than an over abundance of ignorance. The above being said, I'd like to share a Persian Proverb which has stood me in good stead when I've taken a "smarter than thee" attitude. And I really have taken the aforementioned attitude more often than I care to admit.

He who know not,
    And knows not that he knows not,
    Is a fool ~~ shun him

He who know not,
    And knows that he knows not,
    Is a child ~~ teach him.

He who knows
    And knows not that he knows,
    Is asleep ~~ wake him.

He who knows,
    And knows that he knows,
    Is wise ~~ follow him.

It is my sincere hope that when it comes to our precious Second Amendment rights that the great majority of us will follow the advice of the person who wrote the proverb. He/she is much wiser than I am. I can only equate this to my volunteer work. I try to wake and teach. I shun on very few occasions and only when there is no other choice. However, I don't consider myself wise enough yet to be followed. That is something to which I aspire.

Thanks for reading this. I hope I have planted some seed for thought.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I tend to agree. Bradyites cannot be taught, so they must be shunned or battled, depending on your perspective. Education is great for the unknowing and I applaud all efforts.

Another thing we can do is to exhibit a professional behavior in all we do. Be that letter writting, emails, or just how we act when carrying, our behavior and attitude can go along ways to benefit us, or harm us. I have witnesses behavior by some CCL holders that makes me think they should not have guns. Now I obviously believe in our 2A rights, so if I am appalled by someones behavior, how do you think others must feel.

Just a pet peave of mine, but I encourage each of us to remember our actions and words have a long and lasting affect on others. Even our post on here are read by others, so lets keep it reasonably respectful. To me, that is our responsibility as well.
    Men look out for themselves; real men look out for others!

I have to agree. When a lot of antis or neutrals think of guns (as I did before I crossed over), they think of gun owners as those stereotypical "gun in one hand, beer in another, hound dawg at the feet, rebel flag on the back of the pickup" types of people.

Although those types of people exist, I have found, to my pleasant surprise, that they are far in the minority. That most gun owners are regular, responsible people.

That is the image that needs to replace the other.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Gun On Ego Off.

Gun On Ego Off.

I think that those of us on this forum who ACTUALLY carry on a daily basis would be in the group of level headed, responsible citizens who vote, care about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Most "sheeple" as others call them are those who decided a long time ago that they are much happier believing what other (the media/hollywood) tell them rather than to think for themselves. I am not that old, but I grew up in a time and place where we carried our guns to school so we could shoot after school and show off our new "tool" at show and tell. Responsibility was something that we had because if we were not...we did not eat. Todays youth are growing up in a "give it to me because I deserve it" mentality.

We need to start by educating our young people to think for themselves and fear what they understand to be dangerous not what they are told is. I do not fear change, I am afraid that the change that we are seeing today is making many of those here in America...well, dumb. If they are dumb, then they can only do what they are told. We need to be ever vigilant in educating others on our rights and our responsibilities as citizens of this great land.

Wow...I really got carried away
    Pray for our nations leaders!

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    Gun On Ego Off.
    +1. People need to get over the cowboy stuff.

Our responsibilities as CCP holders?

Short version:

Know the pertinent laws where you carry.

Respectfully teach those who want to learn.

Be an ambassador for our cause to all.

Learn to not engage with those who are emotionally, over the top anti. (Read that Brady bunch types.)

Finally, ( the hard part) Learn to be a careful and respectful ambassador for our cause, to those who are emotionally, over the top anti. (Read that Brady bunch types.)

Remember, you can't argue emotion with logic. It seldom happens. You gotta diffuse the emotion first, and that is a skill, few have learned. (I can't say I have learned it yet.)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Sheeple are unstable emotion based unable and unwilling to deal with facts there is no educating emotion based liberals, the mentally defective or insane anti self defense fanatics.

They are damaged goods unable to reason, as explained by a psychiatrist in Raging Against Self Defense Psycho's who are trying to take away my civil rights based upon their insanity. I want to sit down and reason with them LESS than I want to sit at the table and reason with Al Sharpton and Farakan. They are a threat to my family's well being, they are who my sig is talking about.

I don't waste my time talking to idiots
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post

He who know not,
    Is a fool ~~ shun him

He who know not,
    Is a child ~~ teach him.
    I think you got these two backwards...

If you can get one person to change their view about the tools we carry every day then you have done your job. If every gun owner converts one anti the Brady bunch would not stand a chance of passing another bill. Be respectful however because some people will be turned away with harsh words or brash reactions to their opinions. No one was born to be Anti and their view did not come over night. Conversions will not come over night as well. This does not mean you should not be firm. most importantly just keep on being responsible gun owners and show the rest of the country that we are not just a bunch of vigilante wannabees.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post

He who know not,
    Is a fool ~~ shun him

He who know not,
    Is a child ~~ teach him.
    I think you got these two backwards...
    Nope. The first represents ignorance, the second curiosity.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Links