Another LEO encounter

Another LEO encounter

This is a discussion on Another LEO encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was taking my Mother around town today. We were nearing an intersection where we were stopped for like five seconds, then the light turned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another LEO encounter

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Another LEO encounter

I was taking my Mother around town today. We were nearing an intersection where we were stopped for like five seconds, then the light turned green. We started to go, and then all I feel is a really hard bump, and I ended up being pushed into a car in front of us. I became dizzy for a few seconds, and quickly realized we were rear ended. I then got out to inspect the damage, knowing my Mother's car was damaged in the rear. To my surprise there was only red paint and some dirt, but the car that hit us was pretty much toast. The car that I was pushed into suffered almost no damage, just a tiny scratch. I called the police, and we exchanged insurance information.

A local police officer arrived on the scene, he helped the young girl that hit us get her car out of the road, and cleared the road of debris. He then approached me and my Mother and the other female that was driving the car that I hit. I immediately informed him that I was licensed to carry, and he said that was fine, and that he needed my drivers license. I told him it was in my coat pocket, and he just asked me to take it out (I didn't want him thinking I was reaching for my gun). He even suggested I tape my permit to my drivers license.

Overall it was a good encounter, the officer was really cool, although he gave the young gal that hit us a citation for following too close and going too fast for the slippery road conditions. Everyone walked away unharmed and no air bags were deployed which is great!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    good encounter with LE
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

make sure to get the car looked at the could be hidden damage behind the flexible bumper cover

sounds like a reasonable response from the officer but i would have kept mum :P
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post

i would have kept mum :P
    Agreed

I disagree - it is against the law in AK to not inform an officer if you are carrying a weapon. well done. the worst thing that would happen is that they would ask permission to dis arm you and put your weapon in your trunk for you.

**EDIT** Alaska Statute 11.61.22(a) states
    "(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person

(1) is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon,

(A) that is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person fails to

(i) immediately inform the peace officer of that possession; or

(ii) allow the peace officer to secure the deadly weapon, or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, during the duration of the contact;"
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

/\ in that case would have been different :P

there are only about 10 states with a duty to inform thankfully GA isnt one of them ;)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

great thing about AK though is that you need no permit to carry concealed!

that is how it should be :)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

amen brother!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Alaska remained smart and kept the permit program for reciprocity reasons.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Good encounters with LEOís while carrying are the only kind Iíve ever had.
    Florida does not require us to tell, so unless, it comes up in conversation, I never do. But I understand Alaska law requires you to.

As a couple others have said, make sure you get your car checked out. Many times youíll find damage that you donít see at first.

I was rear ended last year at a traffic light, by someone doing about 5 MPH. At first the damage looked minor. But upon inspection at the dealership, the repair bill came to over $2,000 dollars

Especially if the rear vehicle was as bad as you say, I'd be extremly suspect of hidden damage.

Good encounter though.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

We have to do the same here in Michigan. If it's on us we must disclose.

28.425f Concealed pistol license; possession; disclosure to police officer; violation; penalty; seizure; forfeiture; "peace officer" defined.
    Sec. 5f.

(1) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol shall have his or her license to carry that pistol in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

(2) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a peace officer upon request by that peace officer:

(a) His or her license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) His or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card.

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.

(4) An individual who violates subsection (1) or (2) is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $100.00.

(5) An individual who violates subsection (3) is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined as follows:

(a) For a first offense, by a fine of not more than $500.00 or by the individual's license to carry a concealed pistol being suspended for 6 months, or both.

(b) For a subsequent offense within 3 years of a prior offense, by a fine of not more than $1,000.00 and by the individual's license to carry a concealed pistol being revoked.

(6) If an individual is found responsible for a state civil infraction under this section, the court shall notify the department of state police and the concealed weapon licensing board that issued the license of that determination.

(7) A pistol carried in violation of this section is subject to immediate seizure by a peace officer. If a peace officer seizes a pistol under this subsection, the individual has 45 days in which to display his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer. If the individual displays his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer within the 45-day period, the authorized employee of that law enforcement entity shall return the pistol to the individual unless the individual is prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. If the individual does not display his or her license or documentation within the 45-day period, the pistol is subject to forfeiture as provided in section 5g. A pistol is not subject to immediate seizure under this subsection if both of the following circumstances exist:

(a) The individual has his or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card in his or her possession when the violation occurs.

(b) The peace officer verifies through the law enforcement information network that the individual is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol.

(8) As used in this section, "peace officer" includes a motor carrier officer appointed under section 6d of 1935 PA 59, MCL 28.6d, and security personnel employed by the state under section 6c of 1935 PA 59, MCL 28.6c.

History: Add. 2000, Act 381, Eff. July 1, 2001 ;-- Am. 2002, Act 719, Eff. July 1, 2003 ;-- Am. 2008, Act 194, Eff. Jan. 7, 2009
    Popular Name: CCW
    Popular Name: Concealed Weapons
    Popular Name: Right to Carry
    Popular Name: Shall Issue

© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    During or immediately after the crash did it ever occur to you that this scenario is a favorite tactic of insurance frauds and carjackers? In other words, were you in condition white, yellow or orange?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    (1) is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon,
    What exactly is a defensive weapon? Aren't all weapons both offensive and defensive?
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links