Never Pocket Carry.....BAD

This is a discussion on Never Pocket Carry.....BAD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a reminder to new carriers, NEVER pocket carry or Mexican carry as it is known. Here is one of the many reasons not to. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Never Pocket Carry.....BAD

Thumbs down Never Pocket Carry.....BAD

Just a reminder to new carriers, NEVER pocket carry or Mexican carry as it is known. Here is one of the many reasons not to.

Father accidentally shoots 3-year-old son
    by Heather Hoch - Feb. 6, 2009 05:22 PM
    The Arizona Republic
    A father accidentally shot his 3-year-old son Friday afternoon at a home near 24th Street and Broadway Road.

The child was walking to the mailbox when his father's .22-caliber handgun fell out of his pocket and fired, Phoenix police said. The gun fired one round, which hit the child on the arm.

The child was transported to the hospital, and the father is being interviewed by Phoenix police.

Phoenix police have not yet determined whether they will be pressing charges.

No further information was immediately available.
    Men look out for themselves; real men look out for others!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'm going to bet he was not using a pocket holster, and if his gun discharges from falling out of his pocket, he shouldn't be carrying it anyway. I don't pocket carry, but I think it's fine with the proper holster, just like any other carry method.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Pocket carry with a proper pocket holster and a properly functioning firearm is no problem.

No firearm that will fire when dropped should ever be carried - anywhere, anyhow!
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I pocket carry a lot because nothing else works as good for me. As usual, and in most safety issues, it's up to the "human" to be aware and be safe.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Pockey carry is just as safe as any other mode of carry IF you use a properly designed pocket holster, you follow safe handling practices (keep the [Edited] finger off the trigger) and use a little common sense.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 7th, 2009 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by concealed View Post
    Just a reminder to new carriers, NEVER pocket carry or Mexican carry as it is known. Here is one of the many reasons not to.

I thought Mexican carry meant IWB without a holster.

pocket carry is plenty safe, just use a holster. Dad in this case did something wrong - not his pocket.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by whisky19 View Post
    I thought Mexican carry meant IWB without a holster.
    You may be right. I was so upset at reading the article my mind went to racing. When I used the term pocket carry, I was referring to without a holster, as this gentleman was. As many have stated, there is a safe and unsafe way to carry. Most ALL of them involve the proper type of holster.

Thanks to all for pointing this out.
    Men look out for themselves; real men look out for others!

Distinguished Member
    If the booger picker stays away from the trigger, you will not have anymore problems than any other hoster carry.

Mika holsters work great for Pocket Carry.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

It's extremely unusual for a handgun to fire simply as a result of having been dropped.

I'm betting that there's more to the story.......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Hard to make any judgements here. what kind and make of pistol. Semi Auto, derringer or revolver? Cheapo or respected make? Couldn't have been too big if it just fell out of pocket with hand coming out, or was it just hanging out of pocket (big gun)?

I pocket carry every day with a pocket holster amd can't even conceive of this happening. My pistol coming out my pocket requires a whole lot of conscious effort. Pocket carry requires a little more attention to wardrobe and real effort to practice where the trigger finger goes during the draw, but to just fall out?
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Lead Moderator
    Nothing wrong with pocket carry. Proper holsters do help keep a pocket gun trigger covered, keep the gun upright and ready for use as well as keeping lint and dirt out the guns workings.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I wonder if what he was carrying was a derringer? Even so if carried in a properly fitted holster it shouldn't be a problem pocket carrying.

As to whisky19's question. You are correct, IWB without a holster is what constitutes mexican carry.

With a decent holster and a quality gun, pocket carrry should not be a problem, just like IWB or OWB..

If you know that neighborhood as well as I do, there IS more to the story.
    24th Street and Broadway is crime central in Phoenix.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links