I made the stupidest mistake of my life - Page 2

I made the stupidest mistake of my life

This is a discussion on I made the stupidest mistake of my life within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never lost or misplaces a gun as of yet. I have misplaced a fully loaded magazine a couple of times though. Didn't feel like ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I made the stupidest mistake of my life

I've never lost or misplaces a gun as of yet. I have misplaced a fully loaded magazine a couple of times though. Didn't feel like I freaked out over it, just got a little mad at myself. I found them, but it still didn't make me any happier about losing track of them.

I used to work at a gun shop part time and one of our customers walked off and left his gun, in the case on the counter after shooting on the range. One of the other guys noticed the case and we opened it up once we realized it didn't belong to anyone who was standing around in the store. Inside was a $1500 Kimber 1911 with custom sights, Crimson Trace lazer grips and 5 magazines. All total there was around $1800 dollars worth of gun and upgrade in that case and the case itself was worth a good bit I'd bet.

We remembered who was shooting it and looked up his contact info from the range safety liability forms he had filled out long before and I called him. He was all the way home and had still not realized he had left the gun there. He was very happy that we had it and would hold it for him in the vault until he could come and get it.

I just don't understand how that happens.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thanks for the post SubNine, I had all of my kids (their all adults now) out shooting the other day and my daughter ran out of ammo for her .45, but still wanted to shoot a little more, so I gave her the SD ammo from one of my spare magazines that I was going to replace. When I got home I couldn't account for ten rounds that I had taken out of the magazine. I tore my car and house apart trying to find it to no avail. When I was in bed that night, couldn't sleep, I remembered that the SD ammo had silver casings and my practice ammo had brass casings, so I got up, went to the garage and checked all of my spent brass...luckily I found all 10 casings and remembered what I'd done , I was so afraid my 18 month old grandson (green beret-to-be) was going to uncover the ammo wherever I had left it and begin his weapons and explosive training early...I don't like the cold sweats.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    If that is the worst mistake of your life, you are not doing too badly.
    My thoughts exactly.

I never vary any routine with my guns. I never set them someplace different. I have places I set them, for example, when I'm in the shower. I have a place it goes when I go to work. I never vary, never ever. I make sure I never vary. When it comes to my guns, I am 100% predictable. I'm the same way when handling a gun, cleaning it, etc. -- no variance ever.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    If that is the worst mistake of your life, you are not doing too badly.
    Well, I must confess that the worst mistake of my life was marrying a crazy woman! A divorce has been followed by 13 years of marriage to the greatest wife a man could ever have--any mistake, small or large, is a learning experience offering opportunity to improve the future, yours was small but important...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I got home from the range about 12 years ago and started to clean my guns when I realized my muzzle loader was missing. I called the friend I had taken with me to see if he had unloaded it with his gear. no was the answer and I was in a panic. I raced back to the range, about 45 minutes. There was my muzzle loader laying on the bench. Now I survey the area before I leave and I have a specific routine I follow with my guns.

Luckily it didn't get jacked out of your car. No more leaving a gun in the car for me, lost my pm9 that way. Concealed means concealed for me from now on.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Years ago I went hunting with some in-laws. Well, nature called and we all took a quick bush break. About 3 hours later at the cabin, we were eating lunch and giving our rifles a quick wipe down... when one of the family wasn't wiping his down, but frantically looking for it. Nightfall hit a little later so we decided to head out the next morning. We couldn't find it anywhere.
    3 weeks went by and we were out in the same area on quads. One of the guys yells out "Jackpot!" There was the rifle hanging by its sling about 4 ft off the ground, right where we were looking previously. I guess that RealTree Camo does work.
    Luckily for the rifle owner noone found it since some rather shady people like to frequent that area

If you say thats the worst mistake you've ever made...you lead a pretty good life!
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I've made many other mistakes that shaped who I am today, but knowing that I could have really lost my gun, and it could be out there on the streets somewhere, being carried by a person that has no business having a gun, that just had me all in a frenzy. I am relieved to know that I simply forgot where I put it, and that I still have it.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    A mistake is a mistake if you don't learn something from the experience.
    Thanks for sharing yours.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Thanks so much for sharing. It's never a bad thing to remember that when you carry a firearm you had better know where it is!

I'm really careful about my stuff...the firearm never leaves my hip unless I am in my home (okay, it does when I am at the martial arts studio...but it goes into a particular spot and then right back to the hip!).

I totally concur with several posts on here; if you never make a mistake worse than that you have lived a blessed life my friend!

Thanks for the encouragement that patterns and repetition are important. Do you think, though, that instead of not carrying at work that this painful reminder would give you all the reminder you need to make sure that you never leave it anywhere again?
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I got home this morning, and realized my 642 was nowhere to be found. I was freaking out,
    I had a similar experience awhile back and posted it in Lost My Gun In Public. Check it out you are not alone. Talk about freaking I about spent the day puking

Good for you for taking the steps needed to be sure the gun was recovered and than having the balls to stand up here and use your ordeal as a wake up call for us all. We carry deadly weapons and need to be accountable for all our actions with them 100% of the time. Sounds like you were, even though I am sure you risked alot by informing those that needed to know. Maybe your job along with ridicule from your co workers. Still you stood up and I bet you too will not be making this mistake again.

You may consider not carrying off body I can see how carrying your gun in a bag could lead to forgetting about it. After the dust settles and you start to carry again, which I hope you do. Wear it and when you arrive to where you can not have a gun, than lock it up as you have been. Don't carry your gun in a bag.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I actually work as a night shift security guard, and I was forced to expose the fact that I kept a gun in my car to the client supervisor that comes in to relieve me in the mornings in case he had found it (not knowing it was in my car the whole time). Now that he knows, my cover has been blown. I cannot risk my car getting broken into by him or one of the client employees, or anyone else for that matter. I hate the fact that I cannot carry at work because I am usually alone at night guarding a warehouse full of expensive goods, and I patrol a yard filled with trailers and company trucks. I know I am taking a slight risk by not carrying, and I know my life is worth more than my job, but with this economy, getting another job is difficult.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Thank you for reminding us, SubNine. I'm glad everything was okay at the end.

I haven't lost a gun, but I lost a fullly loaded mag recently.
    Where was it found?
    Down in the bottom of a small carry-on bag.

Where was I when it was found?
    In the security check at the airport.

Now, my mag, and 2 photos of me, (Dr.Lic & CHL) reside down in the bowels of Homeland Security.
    Good thing they didn't haul me there, too.
    Yes, I did the same thing! I was lucky, the police officer mailed my mag to me(no ammo or photos). I felt stupid of course!
    They told me that 10rds was the limit, any more and there would have been more! Thank God I carry a compact gun!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    This is the reason why I keep my pistol in my holster even at night. It's not biggee to pull the pistol free if you need it and it keeps your reflexive mounting of your holster on your belt in the morning as the same action as putting your gun on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links