I made the stupidest mistake of my life

This is a discussion on I made the stupidest mistake of my life within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I go to work I am unable to carry, so I usually lock up my little 642 in my car inside a small safe. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I made the stupidest mistake of my life

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

When I go to work I am unable to carry, so I usually lock up my little 642 in my car inside a small safe. Well last night I failed to do that, and was cleaning out my car. I got home this morning, and realized my 642 was nowhere to be found. I was freaking out, almost getting ready to report a lost firearm to the police. I back tracked to where I worked see if maybe it fell out of my car into the parking lot. I looked around, and didn't see it. I notified the supervisor, and told me he didn't see it. I come back home, and remembered I had put something in my bag I use for work. Sure enough, my 642 was in there.

From now on when I go to work, my guns stay home. As much as I hate to do that, I was forced to expose the fact that I keep a gun in my car in case he did find it, and I don't need anyone breaking into my car looking for my gun.

Folks, learn from my bad mistake, always be aware of where you put your guns.

I feel pretty dumb right now.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Very good advice. Been there, done that. That's a terrible feeling to know you have "misplaced" a gun.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

I've had the exact same feeling. In my case, I was at work and realized that I had an empty holster. I retraced my steps (quietly freaking out the entire way) until I got home and found the pistol on my nightstand.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    There will always be lapses of attention or awareness. Even pilots with thousands of hours of experience follow checklists. If carrying wherever possible is critical to the way you choose to live, as it for me, and the cost of exposure is high, I would rather use a checklist than not carry.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Thanks for sharing. We all need a reminder now and then!
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

I feel your pain.
    It's a good lesson to talk about though.

I had that same panic attack on several occasions (same situation every time.)
    My wife and I go to a friend's house where the wine flows freely, so to speak, and I will always disarm when drinking wine away from home. The gun gets locked in the car, and it's several hours later when we go home, and when I am taking my clothes off to go to bed I find my empty holster.
    After a moment, I recall that it is safely locked in the car and get dressed again and go out and get it.
    It always takes a while to recover from the adrenalin rush and cold soak to be ready to get to sleep.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Thank you for reminding us, SubNine. I'm glad everything was okay at the end.

I haven't lost a gun, but I lost a fullly loaded mag recently.
    Where was it found?
    Down in the bottom of a small carry-on bag.

Where was I when it was found?
    In the security check at the airport.

Now, my mag, and 2 photos of me, (Dr.Lic & CHL) reside down in the bowels of Homeland Security.
    Good thing they didn't haul me there, too.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    It's such a rush because the consequences of an "ooops" with a gun are huge.

I once sat in a sofa that was deep. I had a 642 in a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holsters. for those of you that have them, you know how slick they are. Anyway, my gun just slipped out and down into the crack of their sofa. I was visiting a couple as a Pastor about a very serious matter. It was just the combination of the low sofa (so my knee's were up making it want to dump the gun out of my pocket) the slickness of the Uncle Mikes and the fact that I sat there a while and would change positions ot get comfortable. Had pleated dockers on with good sized pockets.

So I get ready to leave, stand up and I'm saying goodbye and I glance down just as my hand brushes my pocket and I realize I can see the frame of the gun between the cushions and my hand feels a flat pocket I thought I'd die, I just bent and picked it up in one fluid motion trying to cover as much of it with my hands as possible. The lady was standing three feet in front of me. I just turned to my right and swooped it up into my pocket and tried not to miss a beat with saying good bye!

I thought I was going to die. My heart raced all the way home as I considered what "could have been".

I haven't carried my 642 in that pocket holster since. I'm still waiting to get a better holster that has better retention.

I appreciate you posting this because as the other poster said, no matter how careful or how long we do this, it only takes a momentary lapse or something odd like my circumstances to cause a life changing event. That lady and her husband had a small boy and didn't know their pastor carried!!

Anyway, I like posts like this, they reinforce my motivation to always be safe and careful.

"Specticals, testicals, Wallet and Watch; my gun is loaded and now I am off"

I know the last part does not ryme but it help me to go through the important things...my wife gives me a hard time due to the fact the neither her nor the kids are mentioned in my little "saying". I go through that in my head every time I leave the house. That being said I have had it several times when I thought that my range bag was left in the driveway or on the side of my pickup bed while I dug my keys out of my pockets. NOT a good feeling when you are heading down the freeway at 70 mph franticaly feeling in the back seat untill...wheewwww...it's there! Happened a few times (never did actually leave it behind though), and now I NEVER set my range bag down unless it is in the house, truck or at the range.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    If that is the worst mistake of your life, you are not doing too badly.

I lost a magazine for my 380 once and I figured that it was in a rental unit at a no guns allowed resort so I figured it best to let it go and could always say it wasn't mine. Over a year later it turned up in my computer bag.

thank you for reminding us to be aware.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Good post. I do a "five" count before I leave the house and before I leave work to ensure I have: car keys, work keys, pager, wallet, cell phone. Can't carry at work so will have to wait a couple of years for when I get a new job and can do a "six" count. Its much more important to do the "five" count coming home after a long day because I REALLY can't forget the ID card - hard to get back onto base without it.

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing SubNine. I for one find that learning from others is much easier than doing something like that myself!

But don't be too hard on yourself, we ALL do something we consider stupid more often that we want to admit. I think you acted very responsibly during the "lost" period and say well done!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    glad to hear she is safe.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links