Why does adding "...while carrying" change anything?

This is a discussion on Why does adding "...while carrying" change anything? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with Bamasteve. I have learned alot from this thread and others like it. Like I said earlier I was not trying to offend ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does adding "...while carrying" change anything?

I agree with Bamasteve. I have learned alot from this thread and others like it. Like I said earlier I was not trying to offend anyone. Just stating my opinion. I am a firm believer in open carry and concealed carry. I think they both have there place. I am fortunate enough to live in a state that honors open carry and is for the most part very open minded about it. How you carry is a choice and in some states I gather that it is a vilolation to even print. My question is when people say they got "made" why do most seem to insight panic? If the stock boy sees my weopon or print of my weapon why do I care? If he panics and calls someone store manager, LE or who ever just deal with it and shop some where else. we live in a society where most sheeple are afaid of firearms, Take every chance you can and educate those around you. Awareness can help us all, said stock boy may not even know its leagal to carry, that could be an educated person who now is interested in excercising there 2nd ammendment. As far as family goes, they are an even easier to educate. Just another rant. Again ment to offend no one.

2. Remove Ads

I see what you guys are saying about people acting like they are doing something wrong or illegal.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I'm not raggin' on anybody, or saying anyone is wrong...but I keep seeing things like "pulled over while carrying" or "did something else while carrying"...

How is a traffic stop ANY different while carrying? You're doing something completely legal. It's not something that's borderline illegal. It's not anything that's going to change anything. You're just another citizen who got pulled over. Not like the guy pulling you over is a BG...I don't understand what's different about being pulled over with your weapon on you.

I don't really see how it "changes" anything else in life either. It's a tool. I carry a knife, a leatherman, a gun...all are tools to make a job easier or possible. The only situation it changes is the one where I have to use it.
    For me I think it would be a "first time" kinda thing. Once it happens and everything goes fine, it should become a non-issue.
    I've applied for and am waiting for my Michigan CPL. MI is disclose state, and I'm adtually hoping that if I do get pulled over it happens shortly after I get my permit. Once it's over the concern should go away. I think the actually concern is probably worse than the experience.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I'm not raggin' on anybody, or saying anyone is wrong...but I keep seeing things like "pulled over while carrying" or "did something else while carrying"...

How is a traffic stop ANY different while carrying? You're doing something completely legal. It's not something that's borderline illegal. It's not anything that's going to change anything. You're just another citizen who got pulled over. Not like the guy pulling you over is a BG...I don't understand what's different about being pulled over with your weapon on you.

I don't really see how it "changes" anything else in life either. It's a tool. I carry a knife, a leatherman, a gun...all are tools to make a job easier or possible. The only situation it changes is the one where I have to use it.
    How true, how true! I am weary of all the "...stopped while carrying..." threads. In my state we are not required to announce we are carrying, so in the one incident I had when someone rear-ended me I never brought it up, and guess what--all went well!

We're doing nothing wrong, nothing illegal, we are the "good guys"!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    I have yet to be pulled over while carrying. Have only been carrying a month or so and haven't been pulled over in like three years. And I'm not required to notify, but some of the stories on here have persuaded me to notify even though I'm not required.
    Bama Steve, That's a good statement. I am not LEO but work closely with several of them and they ALL say that while it's not required by Alabama law to inform, they prefer to be informed for their own safety as well as the citizen who is is carrying. The all say that if they are informed, they do not feel nearly as threatend as they would IF the weapon were to be seen during the stop if they had not been informed. The say that when they are not informed and the weapon is spotted by them, they wonder if the citizen is trying to hide something and it makes them nervous. Guess that makes sense even if we are not required to inform.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 9th, 2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

I think for the most part posters are just letting everyone know what to maybe expect or share a concerns with others about carrying. That is the reason we all come to this forum, we all have things to say at times that is not interesting to others but for the most part a contribution to the forum.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member
    I believe bringing a gun into the mix changes a lot of things. If you were to be robbed would it make any difference to you if a gun was presented during the robbery, you are still being robbed either way, it just puts a different twist on the situation now.

Getting pulled over or having an interaction with LEO while armed does change the situation (did not say makes it better or worse) If the permit holder blurts out "I HAVE A GUN" it will make the interaction, well lets say interesting. Getting pulled over can make some people uneasy with out a gun, so with a gun it may just make the LEO a little nervous.

If carrying a weapon does not change a lot of things you do, either you live in a area like Alaska that it's the norm, or you are doing a lot of things different than me.

Can't stop at the bank, can't get the mail, can't pick up products from my suppliers, can't go to the court house, have to dress different, can't stop by my neighbors and have a beer after work. I better quit thinking before I give up carrying

Me, I look at it different, because we are different.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

I'm lost on three points

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Can't stop at the bank,
    Why not? some NE state rule?

can't pick up products from my suppliers,
    Why not? what type of supplies?

can't stop by my neighbors and have a beer after work.
    Why not one beer?
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Why not? some NE state rule?

Why not? what type of supplies?

Why not one beer?
    NE rules---no banks, ZERO alcohol, supplier has "no guns" signs.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Tough

NE rules---no banks, ZERO alcohol, supplier has "no guns" signs.

Z

Our CCW very difficult to get but we have very limited restriction, not to mention here signs do not carry weight unless you are asked to leave.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    It's not the carrying that changes anything, it's the obligation to tell that changes everything.
    Agreed. In the following states, getting pulled over while armed carries the specific requirement that the driver must inform the officer about the weapon, which carries criminal penalties if not done properly:

Here are the states which require one to notify LEOs if you are carrying:

There are only 11 states that have that requirement.

1.Arkansas
    2.Louisiana
    3.michigan
    4.Nebraska
    5.North Carolina
    6.Ohio
    7.Oklahoma
    8.South Carolina
    9.Texas
    10.Utah
    11. Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
    Agreed. In the following states, getting pulled over while armed carries the specific requirement that the driver must inform the officer about the weapon, which carries criminal penalties if not done properly:

Here are the states which require one to notify LEOs if you are carrying:

There are only 11 states that have that requirement.

1.Arkansas
    2.Louisiana
    3.michigan
    4.Nebraska
    5.North Carolina
    6.Ohio
    7.Oklahoma
    8.South Carolina
    9.Texas
    10.Utah
    11. Alaska
    According to the instructor of my CCW class Nevada requires a CFP permit holder to notify the LEO that you are carrying a firearm. If he finds the firearm after not notifying the LEO beforehand you could be arrested. The instructor of the class is a Sargent is the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. I tend to believe believe him when taught our CCW class.

From what he told us in class most officers if told beforehand that you are a CFP holder they will not give you too much hassle. One can always hope that is the case anyway!

Just a thought!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    According to the instructor of my CCW class Nevada requires a CFP permit holder to notify the LEO that you are carrying a firearm. If he finds the firearm after not notifying the LEO beforehand you could be arrested. The instructor of the class is a Sargent is the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. I tend to believe believe him when taught our CCW class.

From what he told us in class most officers if told beforehand that you are a CFP holder they will not give you too much hassle. One can always hope that is the case anyway!

Just a thought!
    According to Handgunlaw.us it is not required in Nevada. I haven't looked into it any further though. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/nevada.pdf
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Sounds like you didn't get your money's worth out of that course. I wonder what other bogus info he told you. I highly recomend that everyone here actually read the gun laws of their state. All state laws are online and (most are)searchable.

NRS 202.3667 Permittee to carry permit and proper identification when in possession of concealed firearm; penalty.

1. Each permittee shall carry the permit, or a duplicate issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.367, together with proper identification whenever the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed firearm. Both the permit and proper identification must be presented if requested by a peace officer.

2. A permittee who violates the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of $25 for each violation.

(Added to NRS by 1995, 2724)

I have asked my brother in-law who is a State Trooper here in WA. what his thought is on this(I asked him several years ago). He told me that if he pulls someone over for a regular traffic stop, he doesn't want to know if they have a gun on them legally. If he asks someone to get out of the car, that would be a good thing to know at that time. I have been pulled over at least 10 times(that I can recall) and never once was I asked to step out of the car. I also never unbuckled my seat belt as I recall. I also was talking to a retired LEO at the range and he said he had pulled someone over who had their CPL under their drivers license and saw it. He asked the driver if he was caring a firearm the driver answered yes and that he was headed to the range. The LEO gave him a ticket and sent him on his way, no problem. If you don't do anything stupid and don't live in a state where you have to let the LEO know then don't sweat it. I am not too worried about it here in WA.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links