Why does adding "...while carrying" change anything?

This is a discussion on Why does adding "...while carrying" change anything? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It would seem a lot of LEOS don't know its possible for an average citizen to carry a concealed firearm legally so they make a ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does adding "...while carrying" change anything?

It would seem a lot of LEOS don't know its possible for an average citizen to carry a concealed firearm legally so they make a big deal out of it when they run into someone carrying legally... I don't intend to be a cop basher by saying this but I often wonder how some of the local guys here made it through the academy.. I seem to know more about their job and the law than they do...

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CTurner91 View Post
    It would seem a lot of LEOS don't know its possible for an average citizen to carry a concealed firearm legally so they make a big deal out of it when they run into someone carrying legally... I don't intend to be a cop basher by saying this but I often wonder how some of the local guys here made it through the academy.. I seem to know more about their job and the law than they do...
    California may be a special case. Generally, all professions have a distribution of capability. Think of your own profession. Don't you know some who make you cringe when you think about them doing what you do?

I am taking a class as the only civilian among 16 intelligent and dedicated young men in a small rural town in Ohio. I'm impressed and pleased that such men want to become LEOs.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

VIP Member
    As stated before, we are sharing experiences while carrying a concealed weapon. And yes there is a difference and yes we have the right. But that does not mean we have to be snotty about it or being confrontational.

In case many of you haven't noticed, there is a great majority of people out there that either have no preference about our way of life or are downright against it. Very few media outlets are pro-carrying and try their hardest to put us in a bad light. So it is our responsibility to our fellow CCWers and future CCWers to act in a way that is sound & polite toward LEOs and other civilians. Why? Plain and simple Public Relations. We do not have access to media broadcasting like the Brady Bunch does so our work is strictly grassroots and one person at a time. Every contact we have with a LEO in which we behave in a cordial manner is one point in our column if the LEO has no or little experience with CCWers. So if in the future some mouthpiece comes and tell the LEO that we are a bunch of foaming at the mouth nutjobs that want to kill anything in blue, the LEO will go back into his experience and think "Well that is just a bunch of baloney. The CCWers I met are polite and law abiding." The same applies to civilians who happen to find out about our lifestyle.

In time we shall live (hopefully) in a country where CCWing is as normal as wearing a cap with the logo of your favorite sports team and nobody will give it a second thought. In the meantime it is our responsibility to live and deal with a bar so much higher than anybody else in a manner that will not harm our cause. Life ain't fair, deal with it.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Does anyone know if Indiana is a state that requires one to notify an officer if he is carrying. I am knew to CC and just purchased a Kahr Pm9
    Personally I think it should be completely irrelevant, unless I am engaged in some kind of criminal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    If you take 1/2 the posts here, they are about complete crap or repeated stuff over and over (i.e. gun lube, good lord I've seen that a billion times) but that is exactly what this board is for, people talking about their experiences while carrying or questions related to firearms. Whether it be a cop's reaction to the news, or someone's reaction when they see you with it in a store, or a family member's reaction. It's just a story that could serve as some good food for thought for someone. Just because it's not useful to you doesn't mean it's worthless for everyone. On top of that, some people just like to shoot the sh*%.

I have yet to be pulled over while carrying. Have only been carrying a month or so and haven't been pulled over in like three years. And I'm not required to notify, but some of the stories on here have persuaded me to notify even though I'm not required.

Carrying does change things. It has changed the clothes I wear, how I bend over to pick something up, how I analyze the world around me, the comfort I feel knowing I'm a little safer, etc.
    Thanks Steve, well put. For those who would like to debate the finer parts of high tech lube...go ahead. I you would like to debate what gun is the best...go ahead. If you wanna talk about the new XRc7456LB Nerd Light...go ahead! I'll join in and I do enjoy the banter.

This post is kinda like the Wally World thing...being pulled over while carrying is a right of passage for many of us (especially when we have to declare like here in Mi). For those of us who have carried a long time, these things are normal and commonplace...for those who are new to carrying, it is a big deal. I gotta admit, I remember going to the store for the first time while carrying...it was a big deal to me! Not to anybody at the store, but to ME.

I say, keep sharing your experiances and I'll share mine...this is our way of life and not the "norm" for many around us. I don't talk to my friends who don't carry about cc'ing...I come here.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

VIP Member
    Slice it anyway you like, being armed, being prepared, and being aware are big. Those new to the game will ease into it and learn that calm vigilance that comes from sharper focus and mindset. Those who have carried for years would do well to remember back to the freshness of it all and avoid nonchalance or the contempt of familiarity. While carrying, everything is different. You're not at the bottom of the food chain, you're a citizen. Why, I'm even typing this, while carrying. Carry on.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    So it is our responsibility to our fellow CCWers and future CCWers to act in a way that is sound & polite toward LEOs and other civilians. Why? Plain and simple Public Relations.
    Like I have said, I have not been pulled over yet while carrying and in Alabama I don't have to notify. But your statements bring out an entirely new idea for me.

Like you said, a lot of us want the word to get out that we are just normal law abiding citizens and that is hard to do with the media mostly against us. So perhaps when we come into contact with a LEO it actually furthers our cause to let him know that we are one of "those people" and we are normal. We can't just tell people in stores we see, but informing a LEO can actually give us a hand in getting the word out.

I think this has really solidified the fact that I'll most likely notify I'm carrying even though I'm not required. If he feels the need to disarm me, so be it. But hopefully when all is said and done I'll make him feel a lot better about dealing with armed law abiding citizens
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by LSU Fan View Post
    It's most likely because some LEOs can be less than professional (to put it nicely) and might make a big deal out of it. Sometimes people want to share that kind of experience.

As for people with routine traffic stops... good for you, but it doesn't really make for a great post.
    In Michigan it is required to inform the police officer IMMEDIATLY
    (caps from michigan gun statues) that you are carrying. The police know anyways because it is the very first item returned when they call in your plate number.

I think the reason people tell the "pulled over while carrying stories is to relate how well, or not so well the police and the poster handled the situation. Was the police officer feaked out, made them remove weapon, emptied weapon, etc.

My CCW instructor said that he did run across one officer that said whenever he came across someone carrying, he always handcuffed them until the traffic stop was done and the license was verified as ligit. The instructor also said the other cops that heard the officer say this got on his case but good!

Quote Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
    Does anyone know if Indiana is a state that requires one to notify an officer if he is carrying. I am knew to CC and just purchased a Kahr Pm9
    Personally I think it should be completely irrelevant, unless I am engaged in some kind of criminal activity.
    Go back in this thread a pge or so, the 11 states that require notification were listed there.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    ... Why, I'm even typing this, while carrying. Carry on.
    Should I start a thread entitled "Carrying while I type this"? We could all write how we can sit, type and carry a gun at the same time and how it affects our lives!

BTW- Got my 642 on my hip now. Love that little bugger for around the home/office.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Ha, thatís one of the things this site is about.

Adjusting to carrying a concealed weapon, for a person not use to it takes some getting us to.

And for those who are not around LEOís much, their first encounter with one while carrying is a time of anticipation, and an unwanted awkwardness. With DC, they have a place to share their experience, and work out any issues, and get feedback from those who are old hat at it.

I don't yet have my CHL or even my handgun for that matter (any day now), but I do enjoy reading things like this because it helps to put my mind at ease because I feel like I have at least a small idea of what I might expect if I were in a situation like this. I don't expect to get pulled over (while carrying or not) but if I did, at least I know from reading some things on this board as to what I might expect and not to be freaked out if the officer does want to disarm me or handcuff me or whatever. Just my .02 though.

The tell or don't tell issue has been discussed in every gun thread I know of.

I still say it's common courtesy to tell a LEO you are carrying, whether required by law or not. They have a tough and dangerous enough job. You may think he won't spot it so it doesn't matter, but what if he does spot it? You can pretty well rest assured you will be looking at the business end of his weapon. At that point you might may a wrong move,. and who knows what might happen but it probably wouldn't be good.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    What it does show is how "conditioned" most of us where before we started carrying. And if we're not carefull we can get conditioned in other ways with our carrying.

I believe most things can be underdone and overdone. Finding balance is tough on a good day. I think we can get too carried away with CCW and also make it seem like it's not big deal at all to walk around with a concealed weapon. Just my opinion but I think carrying 2 weapons 30 rounds, 2 knifes, pepper spray etc might be too much over emphasizing for some of us and on the other hand not giving it another thought as we walk around armed may be too much pendulum swing to the other extreme.

When I carry, I'm very aware of it. I guess it's my Daddy's fault becuase he made such a huge deal out of every moment handling a gun, wether loaded or not. Hmmm, good safety! So even out hunting pheasants, I was always very alert to what I held in my hands.

i do agree that you can and should get confident about carry so that it's not the biggest deal.

Interesting comments here....

VIP Member
    Just my opinion but I think carrying 2 weapons 30 rounds, 2 knifes, pepper spray etc might be too much over emphasizing for some of us
    Not really... lemme see: 2 guns, 3 knives, 45 rounds of ammo and a Surefire 6P Bring the Zombies!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links