Need info on handgun permit in Westchester Co. NY

This is a discussion on Need info on handgun permit in Westchester Co. NY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New York members. Need your input. I've read handgunlaw.us and the Westchester Co. website on the matter. On the surface, doesn't sound that difficult to ...

New York members. Need your input.

I've read handgunlaw.us and the Westchester Co. website on the matter. On the surface, doesn't sound that difficult to get a "Premise Dwelling" permit for the home. But really, how onerous is it? Is it difficult to get a the court approval and pass the background investigation?

How about concealed carry? I know NYC is next to impossible, but is Westchester Co within the realm of possible?

Thanks!
    HK45c V1

I'm from Westchester Co. and based on what I've read I am sorry to say that getting a CC permit will be really tough.
    Needing a permit to be able to "defend yourself" will probably not be good enough in the eyes of the judge.
    One way around it is to prove that you need a gun for your job safely. I only know of retired LEOs that have CWPs.
    Westchester seems to be an extension of NYC.
    I have a cousin up in Dutchess County that has a CWP and in certain areas of upstate NY permits are issued more readily.
    Good luck!

Futher North you go the eaiser it becomes and the as you get to Albany to gets harder again.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Futher North you go the eaiser it becomes and the as you get to Albany to gets harder again.
    As above stated. Counties that you go through judges to get permits from are a little less stricter as opposed to getting permits from Police. Westchester is strict like NYC you will be able to get a premise for your home and then be able to use your gun for target and hunting as well. A full time carry license is issued to retired LEO, "connected" people, and people that have proof of serious threats of harm and that usually entails a restraining order. Good luck.
    One more step and it's on!

Not meaning to high jack this thread but the way I read these post from NY you can't CC in your OWN HOME?!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow662 View Post
    Not meaning to high jack this thread but the way I read these post from NY you can't CC in your OWN HOME?!
    In NY state, one cannot own or possess a handgun without a license. In fact, one cannot shoot a pistol without a license (with a couple of exceptions).

A license has to be a premise license or a CCW license. A CCW license can be unrestricted or restricted. Unrestricted means that one can carry the pistol anywhere legally allowed and it has to be concealed. Restricted licenses usually limit carry (ie. hunting or tranportation to target practice only). Violations of the restrictions on a carry permit are generally administrative in nature, but that and this entire post is not legal advice.

With a premise permit, can the gun be concealed on premise? Yes. Can it be carried concealed off premise? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexttime View Post
    In NY state, one cannot own or possess a handgun without a license. In fact, one cannot shoot a pistol without a license (with a couple of exceptions).

A license has to be a premise license or a CCW license. A CCW license can be unrestricted or restricted. Unrestricted means that one can carry the pistol anywhere legally allowed and it has to be concealed. Restricted licenses usually limit carry (ie. hunting or tranportation to target practice only). Violations of the restrictions on a carry permit are generally administrative in nature, but that and this entire post is not legal advice.

With a premise permit, can the gun be concealed on premise? Yes. Can it be carried concealed off premise? No.
    isnt black powder exempt?
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by Nexttime View Post

In Nassau County NY you must apply for a license. It takes appx. 6 months. Most apply and get a target permit. As a taget permit you can carry at home and to and from the range. If you happen to be a member of a private 24 hour range. The ranges do not have sign in or out sheets. Most give a key or a code to unlock the door. If you happen to be driving home at 2.00 am and deceide to go to the range and while on the way to the range you get pulled over while carrying you are 100 perent legal. Not so much beleiveable. But legal. NC does offer a business permit for people who have high cash deposits. full carry for armed security guards, retired leo's. In NY you must have a license to own a gun for your own home. Even in NYC you can get a premise permit, takes awhile but can be gotten. They limit 2 trips to the range per month. Unloaded and locked in a storage case locked in the trunk of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    I'm from Westchester Co. and based on what I've read I am sorry to say that getting a CC permit will be really tough.
    Needing a permit to be able to "defend yourself" will probably not be good enough in the eyes of the judge.
    One way around it is to prove that you need a gun for your job safely. I only know of retired LEOs that have CWPs.
    Westchester seems to be an extension of NYC.
    I have a cousin up in Dutchess County that has a CWP and in certain areas of upstate NY permits are issued more readily.
    Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    As above stated. Counties that you go through judges to get permits from are a little less stricter as opposed to getting permits from Police. Westchester is strict like NYC you will be able to get a premise for your home and then be able to use your gun for target and hunting as well. A full time carry license is issued to retired LEO, "connected" people, and people that have proof of serious threats of harm and that usually entails a restraining order. Good luck.
    Thanks all for the responses. If Westchester is indeed like NYC, then I guess it's essentially impossible to get a CCW permit. But from what I gather, it's relatively easy to get at least a premise permit?
    HK45c V1

I have my appointment in May in Westchester and know people that have permits. I'm also using a service for my paper work. From both groups of people I have been told that the standard "Personal" permit is a "Hunting and Target" permit and it is very hard to get an unrestricted carry like 9 out of 10 other counties in NY. Good luck.
    870 !
    NRA Member !

Links