CCW and back pain? - Page 3

CCW and back pain?

This is a discussion on CCW and back pain? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Snowdoctor - sorta colleague here! I trained as an osteopath 1967 - practiced 7 years before my back got the better of me - and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CCW and back pain?

Assistant Administrator
    Snowdoctor - sorta colleague here! I trained as an osteopath 1967 - practiced 7 years before my back got the better of me - and all my colleagues too! Changed my career options considerably after two years of teaching, which still proved difficult due to the practical nature.

You and I have a similar approach tho the phylosophy differs a bit. I have always been totally non-invasive when it is possible - few people have much idea just what spinal surgery really involves! That said it can be a real blessing at times.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    after reading my last post and calming down some, I apologize if it seems to personally attack anyone. but again it isn't chiropractic in most cases it is the chiropractor. To talk uneducated about "horror stories" of anything, shows a one sided ignorance on the topic. please understand that I am not using ignorance in a derogatory manner. Most people with back pain need, adjusted, exercise-mainly in the core muscles, proper nutrition, and some therapy to retrain the body in the area. This approach works for many ailments and is why chiropractic has been around so long, and will continue to be.
    Chris- I know well of the "risks" to the practioner in "our" profession, the body sure does take a pounding. Were you practicing in the states then? I am trying to take the right precautions, so I last a full career, but also preparing financially in case I don't. mostly stocks...
    walnut and pearl ones!!!!
    Last edited by snowdoctor; February 10th, 2006 at 01:24 AM.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Assistant Administrator
    DOC - no, this was back in UK - long before I had any notion I'd be ever settled in the good ol' US of A!

I trained in London at the British School of Osteopathy - and after graduating spent a lot of time also studying further under various Sutherland Foundation folks on the art of cranial work - trying to remember names - ah yes, one was Viola Fryman - gifted lady.

I quit practice in mid 74 - did one or two different things then 2 years teaching as clinic super' - but as said, too much practical stuff, plus I had old patients tracking me down for private consultations! had to finally quit for good 1977.

Had I interviewed myself as a prospective student - I'd have turned me away. I have an example of maybe 2% of all the patients I saw and treated - a pattern that does not react all that successfully to treatment. I have still resisted surgery however and will hope to continue to do so.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Okay, have to sort of agree with Chris and Snowdoc. Unfortunately, my first experience with a Chiropractor was terrible - this was well before my current back troubles. The adjustments went fine and actually felt wonderful, the problem came afterward during the TENS treatment - The "doc" kept turning up the power level even though I'd asked repeatedly him to stop. Finally something popped - felt like a crystal exploded in my spinal cord. I screamed and all but passed out, several minutes later, he turned everything off. My Mom was with me that day and helped me hobble to the car. I spent the next three days bed ridden and never went back. To this day I'm terrified of Chiropractors.

I've had pretty good results with acupuncture though. There's a board certified therapist/herbalist in my area that was trained in mainland China. He's also an RN in the transplant department of a major area hospital. He uses a full spectrum of treatment including: acupuncture, message, herbal remedies and physical terrorists (run by an associated PhD in Physical Rehab). It's prohibitively expensive at the moment ($75 per visit) but it does help quite a bit.
    Jack

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links