Winchester Restaurant Manager...Anti-Gun

This is a discussion on Winchester Restaurant Manager...Anti-Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From the recent VA-Alert from VCDL. Thought you all might find some humor in this one. Effectively this restaurant manager just told all crooks that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

From the recent VA-Alert from VCDL. Thought you all might find some humor in this one. Effectively this restaurant manager just told all crooks that he is disarmed in his own restaurant by choice.

This is definitely a response that is in the minority in this area. Perhaps this feller moved down here from up north or the DC area?

7. Restaurant Manager speaks against self-defense

A restaurant to avoid in Winchester - "One Block West" in downtown

Anti-self-defense musings of owner. Bottom line - if you are a gun owner, take your business elsewhere.

One Blog West: On Guns and Restaurants

The author:
    Ed Matthews is the owner and executive chef of One Block West, a fine dining restaurant in Winchester, Virginia. The restaurant's menu changes daily and showcases the bounty of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

Friday, January 30, 2009
    On Guns and Restaurants

I must confess that I don't pay political issues much mind—sure, the Virginia restaurant lobby keeps me well apprised of the doings in Richmond, but I give most things political scant notice. I have a restaurant to run and that is two-and-a-half full-time jobs.

Yes friends, once again, it's time for the annual wrangle in the Commonwealth of Virginia between the legislature and the governor over concealed carry of handguns in establishments licensed by the Virginia ABC, that is, restaurants and bars.

I own a gun and I admit that I love shooting poor defenseless skeet, not that I am any good at it and not that I get out to shoot more than a couple of times a year. I don't belong to the NRA. I'm not a rabid second amendment type: it is clear to me that a private citizen has no legitimate need to possess an AK, machine gun, etc.

And, if the government does take away your right to possess an AK, it's not the beginning of that mythical slippery slope that sees the government further infringing your second amendment rights.

Individual business owners in Virginia, regardless of the prevailing carry law, are free to permit or prohibit weapons in their establishments. Because mixing alcohol and weapons is a terrible idea, I prohibit all weapons—not just guns—open or concealed, except for those carried by peace officers performing their duties.

Bottom line, I leave my gun at home when I come to the restaurant. I expect you to do the same. Regardless of the law, a restaurant is no place for a gun.

Be forewarned: we are not going to debate gun control issues on my restaurant blog. Take it elsewhere.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I should guess he serves lamb???
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Can one serve up his own kind.........?
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Effectively this restaurant manager just told all crooks that he is disarmed in his own restaurant by choice.

Well, in his defense, he did say that he doesn't allow any weapons in his restaurant, so the BG's aren't allowed to bring them in either.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Sound like he is a liar anyway "shoot poor defenseless skeet" I have always thought they are called clay pigeons. I am sure anyone who has ever shot targets in the sport of skeet shooting knows that the targets are not skeet but in fact clay pigeons. Why do all the anti's always claim that they own a gun? What, to validate their opinion? This guy is a load.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Here's my email to the restaurant owner:
    It would appear that you've put out a public announcement that you wish to be robbed. Not only have you made a fuss about your having no defensive weapons in your restaurant, you've made it clear that you wish for your patrons to be defenseless as well. So you're telling the responsible, law abiding, and self-reliant folks you don't want them in your restaurant, and instead, people who don't care what the rules are will be welcome. Sort of like Prince George's County, Md. They have all sorts of rules about guns. They also have the highest violent crime rate in the area. That's because if law-abiding folks are defenseless, the people who don't care about rules will think it's just like shooting fish in a barrel.

Well, my friend, I will not commit the crime of trespassing by violating your rules, as I do carry defensive weapons; but of course this means that I will not be spending my dollars entertaining clients and other attorneys in your restaurant when I'm in Winchester.

But I suggest to you that someone who may be interested in taking your money away from you will not be so fastidious. And you've made a public statement to the effect that you run an upscale fancy restaurant where wealthier folks are likely to be dining, and that you're not going to protect your diners and they're required to be defenseless.

Here's my lawyer-mode take on the deal. Your publication of that comment invites violent criminals who will identify your patrons as good targets. As a business owner you owe the highest possible duty to ensure the safety of your patrons. And, having made the statement you did, I suggest that if you wish to continue to have your patrons come into your restaurant defenseless, that it becomes incumbent upon you to take steps to actively protect them from harm. I think that unless you hire armed guards to protect your patrons, when one of them gets killed during a robbery, there will be a wrongful death action against you, personally, because your negligent conduct caused or created the situation which led to the patron's death. This isn't like a case of a person who failed to shovel the snow on his sidewalk adequately; this is a case of a person who sprayed water on the sidewalk in freezing weather. I'll be surprised if you don't have a claim for punitive damages against you.

It's one thing to prohibit firearms, and it's another to make a big public fuss about it. You did the latter, and that's why you'll be liable.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

+1 to user

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    It would appear that you've put out a public announcement that you wish to be robbed. Not only have you made a fuss about your having no defensive weapons in your restaurant, you've made it clear that you wish for your patrons to be defenseless as well. So you're telling the responsible, law abiding, and self-reliant folks you don't want them in your restaurant, and instead, people who don't care what the rules are will be welcome. Sort of like Prince George's County, Md. They have all sorts of rules about guns. They also have the highest violent crime rate in the area. That's because if law-abiding folks are defenseless, the people who don't care about rules will think it's just like shooting fish in a barrel.

Well, my friend, I will not commit the crime of trespassing by violating your rules, as I do carry defensive weapons; but of course this means that I will not be spending my dollars entertaining clients and other attorneys in your restaurant when I'm in Winchester.

But I suggest to you that someone who may be interested in taking your money away from you will not be so fastidious. And you've made a public statement to the effect that you run an upscale fancy restaurant where wealthier folks are likely to be dining, and that you're not going to protect your diners and they're required to be defenseless.

Here's my lawyer-mode take on the deal. Your publication of that comment invites violent criminals who will identify your patrons as good targets. As a business owner you owe the highest possible duty to ensure the safety of your patrons. And, having made the statement you did, I suggest that if you wish to continue to have your patrons come into your restaurant defenseless, that it becomes incumbent upon you to take steps to actively protect them from harm. I think that unless you hire armed guards to protect your patrons, when one of them gets killed during a robbery, there will be a wrongful death action against you, personally, because your negligent conduct caused or created the situation which led to the patron's death. This isn't like a case of a person who failed to shovel the snow on his sidewalk adequately; this is a case of a person who sprayed water on the sidewalk in freezing weather. I'll be surprised if you don't have a claim for punitive damages against you.

It's one thing to prohibit firearms, and it's another to make a big public fuss about it. You did the latter, and that's why you'll be liable.
    +1 user.

Maybe it will give him some food for thought.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Chew on that Chef,Self defense shouldn't even be a political issue,It should be a choice either you do or you don't
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I do have a choice. I don't spend my money where my weapons aren't welcome.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

user, Well said but he won't get the message unfortunately.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Here's my email to the restaurant owner:
    Very well written indeed. Now let's hope he actually read it and didn't just throw it in his junk mail folder or the trash!

What a tool!
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Sheep are..... hmmmm... dumb?!?

Looks like he'll recieve a few less patrons.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    user, Well said but he won't get the message unfortunately.
    +1 to user for a great message. He may very well get the message...if and when he loses everything he has.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links