South Carolina CCW Bill S.347...Thoughts?

This is a discussion on South Carolina CCW Bill S.347...Thoughts? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a link to the bill, which will lift restrictions on CCW permit holders to allow us to leave their gun in their vehicle on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina CCW Bill S.347...Thoughts?

South Carolina CCW Bill S.347...Thoughts?

Here's a link to the bill, which will lift restrictions on CCW permit holders to allow us to leave their gun in their vehicle on school property, and carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.

Here's a link: 2009-2010 Bill 347: Weapons - South Carolina Legislature Online

TO AMEND SECTION 16-23-420, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO CARRYING OR DISPLAYING FIREARMS ON PROPERTY OWNED, OPERATED, OR CONTROLLED BY A PRIVATE OR PUBLIC EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO A PERSON WHO IS AUTHORIZED TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON WHEN THE WEAPON IS INSIDE A MOTOR VEHICLE; TO AMEND SECTION 16-23-430, RELATING TO THE CARRYING OF WEAPONS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO A PERSON WHO IS AUTHORIZED TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON WHEN THE WEAPON IS INSIDE A MOTOR VEHICLE; AND TO AMEND SECTION 16-23-465, RELATING TO PENALTIES ASSOCIATED WITH THE UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF A PISTOL OR FIREARM INTO A BUSINESS THAT SELLS ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES, SO AS TO DELETE THE PROVISION THAT REQUIRES THE REVOCATION OF THE CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT OF A HOLDER WHO VIOLATES THIS SECTION, AND TO PROVIDE THAT THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO A PERSON WHO IS AUTHORIZED TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON WHEN THE WEAPON IS INSIDE A MOTOR VEHICLE.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Section 16-23-420 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding at the end:

"(G) This section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is possessed in compliance with Section 16-23-20(9) or Section 16-23-20(12)."

SECTION 2. Section 16-23-430 of the 1976 code is amended by adding at the end:

"(3) This section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is possessed in compliance with Section 16-23-20(9) or Section 16-23-20(12)."

SECTION 3. Section 16-23-465 of the 1976 code, as last amended by Act 274 if 2002, is further amended to read:

"Section 16-23-465. In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16-11-330 and 16-23-460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked. This section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon when carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to and in compliance with Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 unless the person is present in the portion of the business primarily devoted to the dispensing of alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises."

SECTION 4. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Looks good, I just wish there were a provision that would allow for non-resident SC permits or extend their reciprocal agreements to include non resident permit holders so that I would be legal on either my VA or FL permit.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

wpk
    My only thought is that I wish Ohio would give us restaurant carry. Someone else ordering a beer shouldn't turn me into a criminal.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Looks good, I just wish there were a provision that would allow for non-resident SC permits or extend their reciprocal agreements to include non resident permit holders so that I would be legal on either my VA or FL permit.

+1

next time i go to SC im just gonna OC a black powder revolver :P
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    +1

next time i go to SC im just gonna OC a black powder revolver :P
    That would be a no-go. OC isn't legal in this state yet. There is a bill that is in motion to make it legal, but it is not as of yet.

I'm pretty stoked about the here bill though. As I read it, I would be permitted to lock my gun in my glove compartment while I am on campus at school(not sure if this would supersede school policy or not). Also the whole restaurant carry bit is quite exciting as well. It will be interesting to see how this bill fares.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Black powder isnt a gun that you need a license to carry in SC according to SC it is exempt. Black powder also isnt a gun under federal law
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    Black powder isnt a gun that you need a license to carry in SC according to SC it is exempt. Black powder also isnt a gun under federal law
    Learn something new everyday.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

I support it as does Grass Roots. We have been asking for this bill for some time. Many of us have kids in school and are forced to commit a felony when picking up or dropping off our kids.

And, why should we have to disarm while eating at applebees? LOL

As to the open carry bill...

Rep. Nikki Haley has asked Grass Roots to provide amended language on the current bill since GR does not support H3003 as it is written. I have asked for this amended language for a month now and now we are getting somehwere. Rep. Haley wants this language before it gets to committee. This is a good thing.

We could be on our way. Everyone who hasnt should sign hp_hobo's petition for open carry in SC. OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! has links to it.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Looks pretty good.... maybe we can gain some ground with it.

If it legalizes the right to lock a handgun in your vehicle on campus, then there will be more B&E autos on campus and more guns stolen.

Don't settle for the glovebox..... get a safe. Like Center of Mass
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    I didn't read it, but from the comments.....

If it legalizes the right to lock a handgun in your vehicle on campus, then there will be more B&E autos on campus and more guns stolen.

Don't settle for the glovebox..... get a safe. Like Center of Mass
    Agreed! Though usually I dont have to get out of the van to pick my son up or drop him off.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Well as it stands now I wouldn't trust my glove box with my gloves, let alone my gun. I am looking into purchasing a safe to go under my front seat. To be completely honest though, I don't think you would see a greater increase in B&E. I can only see an increase coming from specifically targeted vehicles(Ones that are known to contain firearms). There is a pretty decent population of scummy individuals here on campus, but they already smash and grab at will.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    You are now legal on your FL permit in SC. Reciprocity was granted several months ago. That being correct as long as you have a resident FL permit.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerman View Post
    You are now legal on your FL permit in SC. Reciprocity was granted several months ago. That being correct as long as you have a resident FL permit.
    Exactly, SC recognizes both my VA and FL permits but I do not reside in either state. I fail to understand why SC feels that if you meet one states qualification for a permit; why then are your qualifications nullified if you don't reside in that state.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

how close is this bill to becomeing law?

I wish I knew. I don't know enough about SC politics to understand the process here. Maybe someone can enlighten us? Should we start contacting our local representatives to support the bill?
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links