Your carry decision - Page 2

Your carry decision

This is a discussion on Your carry decision within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didnt really feel the need to tote and never gave it much thought till I became a Deputy and actually got to see first ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your carry decision

Senior Moderator
    I didnt really feel the need to tote and never gave it much thought till I became a Deputy and actually got to see first hand how some of the riff-raff choose to live and prey upon society. These people have no morals, no real skills, no respect for anything and they usually only come out at night.

After dealing with several very violent crimes as a Deputy, I became a CCW instructor. The CCW law had just gone into effect, and it was new enough that many people simply didnt know how to get one or even where to start.

The gunclub which I was a member of, was one of the first in the state to certify instructors and offer concealed carry classes. Several of us went though the NRA course, and then continued on to get the state certification that instructors must have here.

I cant tell you the number of people that were at wits end with a particular situation that after realizing the cops really couldnt protect them until after the factexpressed a desire to arm themselves.
    After becoming an instructor and becoming familiar with the "law" now instead of just telling them to arm themselves, I could at least point them in the right direction and keep them on the right side of the law by offering them a time and a date and a place to go to where they didnt have to be dependent on the cops for their protection.

As the other LEO's have stated,once you arrest some of the scum out there, some of them have a tendency to blame all of thier problems in life on the arresting officer. Some of them are egotisical enough to try something stupid.

To make a long story short...

I beleive that its better to have your gun and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Kat
    Because it became legal in Minnesota and someone I respect got his permit. Hadn't really thought about it much until then.

Six months latter I can hardly imagine not carrying and it seems as though the "carry culture" has just "grown on me". Don't know where it came from, maybe just laying dorment. Brother's an undercover LEO. Biggest influence may well have been the fact that the idea of my "packing" wasn't immediately dismissed or frowned upon by my wife. She's not carrying yet, but every day she seems to take another step in the that direction.
    Luke 22:36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one."

I've been interested in shooting ever since I was a kid. My father was an avid shooter, and competed successfully in bullseye shooting competition before I came along. He taught myself and my brothers firearm safety and marksmanship at an early age.

Up until about a year ago, carrying wasn't a legal option in MO for civilians. Because of this, I hadn't even bothered to purchase a handgun. I relied on a level head, martial arts training, and OC for my personal security. When the law was passed, I committed myself to obtaining a license and carrying whenever legal. A right not exercised is too easily taken away.

I have to agree with Ti Carry - although I've always sought to steer clear of trouble, and have been quite successful in this endeavor up to this point - I am even more careful with a gun at my side.

Hunting big game is a strong tradition in my famly. I moved to Syracuse N.Y. when I was a teen. Going from the wilderness, to the urban jungle was a big culture shock to my famly. Thats when my father started to carry on a daly basis. Even though he had a CCW for many years before. For me geting a CCW was as normal, as a 16yr old geting a drivers license.

For me it started after I got married. I realized that I didn't have any way to protect my wife & myself from an intruder in the house except for a 3-D cell Maglite. I decided to buy a pistol for home defense.

I wanted to have my carry permit before I bought a pistol, as it would make trips to the range easier. I began carrying concealed a few months later, after some training & lots of practice. Now, my wife has her CCW permit, and will begin carrying after some training.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I think 9/11 was the turning point for me. I made the decision, to never be a victim if at all possible and to protect my family at all costs. I watched hours of tv about 9/11 as most other did. I think that time really changed alot of people. I carry everyday, and can't think of a life without it. I will never live in a state that it is unlawful nor will I travel to one of those states. If they don't trust me with my 1911 then they don't need my money. I think it does "calm" you down and keep you thinking level headed. I recently went on a snowmobile trip to MI upper pennisula and did not carry while riding. Man that was hard, but couldn't carry safely in my opinion. I felt on edge most of the weekend, and was glad to have the shoulder rig back on.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Mainly because I can. When CO became shall-issue, we decided to get ur CCWs as a statement. If you want to keep your rights, you need to exercise them.

I've carried at work and at home and in my truck for quite some time. Now I don''t have to dis-arm to go next door to the 7-11 ( at work) or to go have coffee at the convenience store in the morning. The Carhartt crowd that I have coffee with always assumed I carried anyway, so I haven't said anything to them.

Road rage and home invasions are on the increase here, so that helped the decision along even more.

Senior Moderator
    I think 9/11 was a wakeup for lots of people.

I know that the enrollment in the CCW classes here went up about 25% on the average. We usually have a brief discussion about why people choose to carry. "9/11" is mentioned quite often.

I grew up and go into Detroit frequently...nuff said I suppose. Although in reality it isnt as bad as it's made out to be...I'm no longer as willing to ignore the statistics as I used to be

I think 9/11 was a wakeup for lots of people.
    I agree. My anti-gun sister and brother in law, who moved to New York 30 years ago and went anti because it was fashionable at the time, changed their minds.

Last Christmas, they were out visiting and asked my son and I if we would familiarize their boys with firearms. We took them to the range and had a great time shooting, after the safety lecture and training.

My brother in law had never fired a handgun before and he ended up preferring the 1911. After everyone was done, my son gave a little demo of his IPSC skills (he is amazingly fast).

Three new shooters were born.

Because I can

thats the simple answer

Some years ago some nut went through an Albertsons here with a shotgun. Those people didnt even have a chance. I guess that was a wake up call for me. Since I got my ccw it seems like I see on the news a carjacking or home invasion almost every day. I guess in short I carry because I wont be a victim.

I became a Dad. My wife saw something on TV that scared the crap out of her and brought the issue up with me. The top-most priority in life when you become a Dad is to protect your family.

Not just because I can, but because it's my duty to do so.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Kudos to GDDY UP. Nothing is more important. As you can see from my picture and signature statement. EVERYTHING changes on that miracle day in which someone becomes a father, and if it didn't, you are not a man at all.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I grew up in southern Indiana, its limestone country and the area is covered with old quarries, which make some of nicest swimming hole in the world. My buddy Tony and I were at one with some other people when 3 prime examples of pure white trash came by with an old H&R single shot shotgun and "screwed" with us for probably 30 min. I do think they were working themselves up to doing a rape of one of the girls when they were scared off by some other people coming. I swore that day no man would ever lord over me like that again, my buddy and I were working on the farm for his dad and the next payday we had him buy us each an M-1 carbine. We carried those carbines every time we went to the quarries and fortunately never saw our antagonists again.

The day I turned 21 I applied for my carry permit and was pissed to find out I could have gotten it at 18, I also went and purchased a 2 ˝ inch round butt S&W model 19. I carried almost every day after that, until I moved to Missouri in ’98, and had 3 occasions to “display” the fact that I was armed. Now that Missouri has joined the enlightened states I rarely leave the house unarmed. My wife has also gotten her permit and carries my little Grendel P-10 .380 almost every where she goes, not bad considering when we meet she almost didn’t go out with me because of my “reputation” of always being armed and readiness to use it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links