Your carry decision

This is a discussion on Your carry decision within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Other than keeping a 22 rifle that I got when I was a young teen, I never owned another gun until a little over a ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your carry decision

Other than keeping a 22 rifle that I got when I was a young teen, I never owned another gun until a little over a year ago when I got my CCW. Oh, and a black powder 44 cal pistol my Dad had put together as a kit and I inherited when he was too old to want to play with it. I shot both occassionally for fun, but just never felt the need to invest in anything else. But I've always supported the basic right to defend oneself and was in full support of the MO CCW law when it was passed. I was very disappointed when it was defeated first time around. But with the law being passed, my son's avid interest in firearms and the 2nd Amendment, an increasing awareness of the randomness of violence around us, and the fact that physically I'm not a match for someone bigger and younger than I am, prompted me to buy my first pistol and get my MO CCW. I wanted to be able to carry in more states so then I got a Florida CCW to boot. Well, then then I bought a second gun that was more conceal frinedly, and now I want another....will it ever end???
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    will it ever end???
    - nope - not now it won't
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Several reasons I chose to carry and obtained my CHL in 2004:

• 9-11
    • Increasing violent crime in the past 2 years or so in my neck of the woods.
      • Because I drive through areas with high crime rates.
    • Because it is my right.
    • Because I have the right to self defense and I learned that I cannot rely on the police to protect me or my family.

In the time since I got my CHL my commitment to carrying has increased because:

• Hurricanes Katrina and Rita came ashore and we have imported a large criminal element from New Orleans.
    • Gang crime has also increased and has gotten so bad that the police department has now formed a gang murder squad! (Note: not just a gang squad but a gang murder squad). Police spokesman says he expects situation to get worse before it gets better.
    • This past week several car windows were shot out a few blocks away.
    • A few months ago three people were robbed in their driveway in broad daylight at gunpoint by multiple BGs. This happened one block from my house. This is in a nice neighborhood but criminal element comes in from surrounding areas.

• Several months ago the neighbor across the street found a loaded handgun that someone had drooped on the sidewalk.

• This week someone came to the front door of my house and looked in the window. When he realized someone was home he turned tail and ran away without ringing the doorbell.

• Finally ,a member of my family was held up at gunpoint in another city by multiple BGs (chief BG had drawn a revolver, had the hammer back with his finger on the trigger). My family member was not shot thankfully.

I now carry everywhere I can. I go to the range at least once a month. I try to remain situationally aware.

My main reason for carrying now is, as the man of the house, it is my right and duty to protect my family. I feel I can do that most effectively by carrying.
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. For when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

Nietzsche

The day i found out AZ was a open carry state i started carrying.I don't want to be a victim if i can help it.

My deciding "to carry" is simply a result of my own personal awareness of individual responsibility.

My wife, on the otherhand, has decided that if she has to spend too much time trying to explain it, that the person she is talking to is not likely to be smart enough to understand the explaination.

And her conclusion is one that I came to myself, years ago.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

My daughter snuck a boy in the house. After that ordeal, I went and bought a gun, took the class, got my permit. With further research I have done on the subject, thank God I live in Virginia and I can protect me and my family.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I guess I'm kinda like Rocky. I've been a cop so long I dont remember when the last time I didnt carry in this country. Had a good FTO and add to that an off duty officer being killed when I was a rookie so I made a dicision that it wouldnt happen to me.

My "favorite" concealed permit was issued in Russia. Having been able to pack in that country rated right up with Japan and England (the English really get ticked when they realize your packing).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Some years past the wife, and I where camping, and some guy was making me very nervous. Being in a remote area, help would not make it in time.

As I get older, and may be more suspicious of others. By the time I even make a call for help it could be all over.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by oilman
    Several reasons I chose to carry and obtained my CHL in 2004:

9-11
    Increasing violent crime in the past 2 years or so in my neck of the woods.
    Because I drive through areas with high crime rates.
    Because it is my right.
    Because I have the right to self defense and I learned that I cannot rely on the police to protect me or my family.

In the time since I got my CHL my commitment to carrying has increased because:

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita came ashore and we have imported a large criminal element from New Orleans.
    Gang crime has also increased and has gotten so bad that the police department has now formed a gang murder squad! (Note: not just a gang squad but a gang murder squad). Police spokesman says he expects situation to get worse before it gets better.

I now carry everywhere I can. I go to the range at least once a month. I try to remain situationally aware.
    oilman,
    +1
    I could not have said it better myself.
    One situation that had I not been so aware of my surroundings......well!!!!
    I travel monthly in my business. Once, when I was in Houston, at a hotel that has outside entrances, I drew my weapon and pointed it at a big guy coming at me with a large hunting knife, who promptly turned and ran down a stairwell faster than I could pull the trigger. I say he was bigger than me and I am 6'6"@310. I went into my room promptly called the police and reported the matter, left that hotel and checked into another. I have never been back to that hotel either.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

For me, I think it was when I began to realize that to carry legally was not a privlege, but a right. The police cannot protect my family, nor should I expect them to. It is my family. And God has given me the responsibility to take care of them. If I choose not to exercise my right to own and carry a handgun, I have already given anyone who would do harm to my family (or me) the advantage. kdailey

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Cool

Iwent the carry route due to such a rise in Random violence. Or at least the reporting of it. Here in Richmond, VA, a relativity small city. We have topped the feds list of murders per capita when I was in school, and this year (2006) we started the year off with 9 murders in the first 11 days. One whole family of 4 with absolutely no connection to the BG's. Then their was the whole DC sniper thing a couple years back. Not much protection from that, but at least if the shot came from the car next to you, you could defend yourself if seen and attacked to prevent being a whiteness.

I've had my permit for several years but started carrying religiously here six months ago. It just doesn’t seem like the whole mentality of, if I try not to upset anyone else and avoid certain parts of town you will be safe. Not trying to say that I have ever been a member of the Brady Bunch, far from it. It's just an AWESUME responsibility to carry, and I take it that way. But especially now that I have a little one at home and with me out and about sometimes,

How does that saying go, I never leave home without it.

I started carrying almost 30 years ago when working at a McDonalds and one nearby got robbed, everyone stuffed in freezer and killed. Now I carry for all the same reasons stated eqarlier in this thread and am damn proud to be among such good company.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

My,father,grandfather,and greatgrandfather, started me with handguns at 5 years of age,on the family farm, all had seen war and its effects, and the "grands" had done time as town marshalls, it was decided I needed to know about them,and by the time I was 10 years old I was carrying a S&W victory model out and about on the farm,while my little sisters where playing,,it was my job to take care of them.

As I reach my teens , the 3 again decided it was time for more training,and thru friends and family I recieved traing from the old masters,,several are in the unknown file, but where some of the last western marshalls and town cops, I also studied under Mr.Bryce and COl.Askins, was able to pick the brains of Mr.Jordan and a few others.. My time came and I went to RVN, came home and decided good or bad to try the Church,where once my background was known I was sent to South America, where I ended up watching the back of the bishop,while visting certain groups of people. Deceided I liked booze and women better and came home and went into law enforcement, and stayed untill December of this year.

I have seen, been involved in ,or heard of just about any and all evil man can dish out,, there was no time where I "made" the decsion to carry, it was engrained from my early child hood.

Thank GOD for my elders

My Greatgrandfather was fond of one saying and it applies across the board

"If your a freeman,and American, they by god you should carry a gun"

I've been around guns all my life. I have had to use a handgun in a self defense situation as a private citizen. Being judged by 12 is better than being carried by 6. I got a CCW permit as soon as they were available in NC.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links