Your carry decision - Page 4

Your carry decision

This is a discussion on Your carry decision within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There have been so many good replies; I'm sure to repeat what others have said. Thankfully my state, Arizona, is an 'open carry' and also ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your carry decision

There have been so many good replies; I'm sure to repeat what others have said.

Thankfully my state, Arizona, is an 'open carry' and also a 'shall issue' concealed carry state.

Reason that I carry: to be a survivor rather than a victim. My thanks to the founding fathers for the second amendment.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I carried off and on for years when it wasnt shall we say
    "proper" for me to do so.

When my Kids moved out , I moved to my current state
    with the Intention of FULLY exercising my 2A rights.

And I do.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

When I realized that most of the good guys have already left the building. I remember growing up in the 80's and everything was ok. You 70's babies like me remember. You could play outside late or least until the street lights came on. Atari was fairly new and mom and dad did not worry about you getting robbed or coming up missing. Well, after getting older, joining the military and truly starting to understand what life was really about I decided to carry.

After I completed my tour I worked for an alarm company, and it was times that alarms went off and the police operator was rude or simply put me on hold and did not care. Well, once a lady was really in trouble and the police showed up after the fact. Oh, she scared the intruder off, but my confidence really began to wane. Anyway I have carried since realizing the above. I am trying to get my brother to carry he lives about three hours away in a city where he does not have any family, and he is not currently married. Well, he can more than afford a very nice piece being that he is an Engineer, but he won't do it. I worry about my little brother and recently I tried to get him to buy a pistol but he only says he will think about.

Anyway, carry to protect you and your family.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I have spent over 20 years as a wilderness Search & Rescue volunteer in New Mexico. I have always carried openly when going into unfamiliar areas. But winter time brings long coats and covered weapons. Since we work for the State Police on SAR missions, I have always worried about getting nailed for carrying concealed. Two years ago we finally got the 'right' to carry concealed, and I got one of the early licenses. Like others have said, knowing I can deal with problems because I am armed makes me feel much more relaxed every day. On SAR missions, we used to stumble onto an occasional pot farm. Now it's more likely a rolling meth lab, and those guys take violent offense if you see them and disapprove. Add to that the fact that NM sits in the middle of the drug pipeline from Mexico to Chicago, and we live in a violent place. (Don't want to stop the drugs on their way to the nice city of Chicago, now do we?) So, like the rest of you, I'm glad I can carry, and I usually do.

Nothing Earth-shattering for me. Just realized that with kids in tow (3 & 5 mo's), can't always avoid or retreat. so it's better to be able to defend if all other avenues have been exhausted. Also as a firefighter, sometimes getting into situations that LEO's can't always keep under control.

Got my concealed carry permit a year and a half ago, when the music teacher at the local H.S. was pulled out of his car at gunpoint by two young punks and beat half to death, then robbed. I decided right then never to be a victim! I once heard that somebody might kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it's empty!

Czman, Every time I hear that I tell them they better not try to DRIVE away form the car theif as a defence against losing the car or he will take it away from you & run over you with it. As for the original Q. I had talked about it for a good while & it was always OK w/ the wife. Picked a date & did it. Both the ladies of my life were a little different. Mom was first. Some time after Dad died she asked me what I would think if she got a gun & learned to shoot. I told her great but learn to shoot then get the gun. 72 when she went for CHL & shot a 236 out of 250 possible. Made 100 on the written. About 2 yrs ago Mom had her purse stolen. No gun in it but the wife said it was now time for her to get one. Since then the wife is 24-7 carry also. Mom about 23-6 now. Never figured out how to decide when & when not to. Thus my signature on another forum. Carry 24-7 or guess right. Wife shoots enough to stay in practice. Mom LOVES IT. She even reloads w/ me. 75 now.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

When I moved to Georgia (or rather, was moved there via Uncle Sam), I found that they had CCW. Now, just having come from NY (Rome, NY via Griffiss AFB) and seeing what their gun laws were like (had to be there a year just to apply for a gun license just to have the handguns at home with me instead of the armory on base) going to GA was like stepping out of Russia straight into the United States to me.

So, since I was military I didn't have any wait and went to the court house just for the "heck of it". I applied, paid my money and within six weeks had my permit.

This was back in 1995 IIRC. I know that it's only been 10 years of carry but now since I've read more and more and gotten involved with the RKBA and the world does seem to be getting more dangerous instead of less, it's now just become a normal part of my life. Like eating, getting dressed, and going to work.

Wayne

It was by accident. I had purchased a handgun (always wanted one) and wanted to take a course on how to handle one. Turns out it was a CCW course and I haven't looked back since.

I have been into martial arts since I was a youngster, but never gave much thought about carrying a gun, although we kept a few in the house for protection. I then had 2 incidences when I was 19-20 years old. The first one I was robbed at gunpoint while using an ATM. The BG never got close enough for me to even think about dissarming him. The second time I walked into a stop-and-rob (that was being robbed) and one of the BG's let off a couple of rounds in my direction as soon as I opened the door- none of them came close to me.
    As soon as I turned 21 I got my carry permit, got all the training I could, and became a tactical/self-defense instructor myself.
    Being proactive is the best way to avoid having to be defensive.

Follow not in the footsteps of the masters, but rather seek what they sought.

"Stategy is the craft of the warrior."-- Miyamoto Musashi

Ars sine scientia nihil est.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    When I was 9 years old, my family was traveling back to Nashville. We stopped at some out of the way place to get something to eat. My dad got out and told us to stay in the car. He came walking back very quickly in short order without any food. After getting in the car while backing out, he told my mom that someone had thrown a knife at him. My dad never showed any fear to us kids that day, but from then on when traveling, he was always armed. I guess that was pivotal in my decision to carry. Now I have a family of my own...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

It was a combination of things really:
    I'm on permanent disability due to spinal nerve damage. Had two pretty extensive surgeries so standing toe to toe and going ten rounds with some punk is out of the question - as is running since walking itself is difficult enough.

We had an attempted break-in at our apartment about 12:30 in the morning last June. Luckily I had gotten up for a cigarette and was able to grab my shotgun and scare off the intruder just before he broke through - when I opened the door for the responding officer, the striker plate fell out of the doorframe at his feet and the door itself was split all the way up. That'll change your priorities really quick!

After my disability pension was finally approved I got a fairly sizeable check and what didn't go toward bills went to a suitable weapon for CCW - my S&W 642. A guy at my office told me about where he'd trained for his permit and when I found out it was 30% of the cost of where I'd planned to take the class, I figured there was no reason I couldn't afford to get my permit. I took the class Sept. 10, 2005, my permit arrived almost exactly four weeks later and I've been carrying ever since. Like a lot of others here, if my pants are on, so is my gun.
    Jack

I feel lucky in the sense that my Father first put a Handgun ( 357 mag) in my hands at 8 years old, At 11 he gave me my first Handgun a 1911 in Super38 I spent 10 years shooting this & many other 1911s & when I turned 21 & Wa. being a Shal Issue state since 1968 I felt it was my duty to Soceity to take the skills I had learned & be willing to use them to protect those that cant protect themselves. No I am not a LEO. I have done Exec protection in such great places as Pakistan & other Wonderful Holiday spots.
    I will carry until they put me in a box & i am sure my family will bury me with a 1911 so I may stand gaurd at the gates as my brothers in arms come thru.

I carry because so many others dont & they are blind to why it is required.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

Grew up shooting guns. One day I was doing a Real estate appraisal in south Richmond and had to drive around a body in the cross walk, I heard the shots. I remember saying I will not be a victim. And Im not going to be.
    If its not loaded it just a paper weight!

Excluding the times my residencies were outside of conus, I cannot remember being without a weapon on my person or nearby. It was a logical progression to becoming a carrying civilian, and I've done so wherever the law allowed. And yes, the temptation to illegally bear arms was a strong one at times, but spending my entire adult life defending our system of government forbade it. My experience in the Midwest was not a pleasant one with regards to CCW...local Sheriff's in Iowa can deny a permit if they don't like the car you've driven up in...but living in Florida is wonderful and an important part of our decision to relocate here.

Walk softly but carry the biggest caliber you can.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links