Defensive Carry banner

Your carry decision

7K views 78 replies 73 participants last post by  disko 
#1 ·
Not very original - I mean heck we have discussed ''carry evolution'' - risk factors - all sorts of stuff already.

But wonder if you can remember that actual decision time and why. The day you decided - ''Yes, I will carry a concealed firearm". Was it ''Because I can"? ''Because I feel the need"? Some actual traumatic event?

I have for more years than I care to remember felt the need to excercise my innate human right to self defence and to carry - but back in UK days it was never legal ..... <cough!!>. I certainly was always armed at home.

Once I got here and married it was with some pleasure that I began to rebuild my shooting interests, although for some while I could not get handguns or carry. Once I was ''legal'' and had permanent residency I got things under way. Many folks say when asked why they carry - ''because I can''. Well that is my 2º reason. My 1º reason is because I choose too not easily become a victim, and the fact that I can (legally) is a bonus.

Now I am a U.S. citizen I am finally on a totally level playing field with everyone and that feels good. Folks know I am dedicated to carry - and I try my best to encourage others as well as teach what I can.

What kicked you off then, older folks starting, in particular?

See less See more
#77 ·
My Reason

I used to be of the opinion "Hell, I have to die someday, so ain't nobody doin nutthin to me".

Then I met and married a wonderful lady and now my opinion is :"stay around to look out for, protect and take care of her"

Ain't love grand? :embarassed:

#78 · (Edited)
I carry because of an actual incident. My last employer was involved with a certain group of people, and I was made to find out certain information regarding a certain now deceased individual. Infact the deceased became so the afternoon after I was given said information.

Needless to say I found out that the government has no obligation to protect me or my wife. I was told by the state AG to move change my name and profession - he thought it was true, but could never do anything about it (politically connected). I who never broke a law am supposed to change my life.

I've since been followed, and actually threatened. I refuse to change my name (I try to be relatively anonymous). I've been working formyself since, cause I've been unable to find a real job (and I've gone mostly broke).

It took me 18 months of trying to get the NRA course, apply and get my permit - thats a long time.

#79 ·
As we've already established, I'm an aussie.

In my younger days (NOT ANYMORE!!) I used be on the periphery of a rough crowd, and as a result was very very rarely, if ever not armed... not because I wanted to be a tough guy, but because I have seen the level of violence that teens who wander the streets, drunk or drug affected, night and day, in absolutely every possible place in the city, are capeable of.

Be it a set of polycarbonate 'knux' on a keyring, a knife concealed in a pen at school, or even, perhaps, a jaguar balisong on my belt, eversince I was around 14, I was usually armed in one way or another, but never with a firearm. The concept of carrying a firearm in Australia for the purpose of defending oneself is totally alien. Because of the strictness of our firearms laws, a glock bought on the black market is a symbol of being a powerful gangster, with prices being around the 3-4k mark. The main threat comes from the roving gangs of kids, on their way to parties or nowhere in particular, armed with box cutters, larger knives, or most commonly, the heavy steel push bar off a shopping trolley (better known to kids here as a trolley pole). As a 16 year old, I watched a birthday party degenerate into a full blown street brawl, with one youth wading into the middle swinging a meat cleaver. He seriously injured three or four people, and managed to cut himself with it as well. The only people who weren't attacked are myself and a small minority of friends who chose to stay behind me, with me standing in front spinning my balisong. The deterrent was more than enough.

I got myself in bad trouble as a 17 year old (not related to carrying), and as a result, I stopped carrying weapons. But situations in my current and previous workplace have dictated a need to revert to the old ways.

"I'd rather be caught with it than caught without one"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.