Your carry decision

This is a discussion on Your carry decision within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I, too, grew up around guns, then military experience. I'd thought about applying for a LTC when I moved to MA, but my wife was ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your carry decision

I, too, grew up around guns, then military experience. I'd thought about applying for a LTC when I moved to MA, but my wife was a little uncomfortable with it - that is until she walked up on a bear while we were hiking in N. Maine. Suddely, we were on the same page.

2. Remove Ads

Let's hear it for the Bear! Another convert! Hope you and wife went in one direction and the bear in the other!!!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

It was when I was taking my (Then) 11 year old son on a scouting trip for a fall Elk hunt. We were tacking some Elk, and found that we weren’t the only ones tracking the same Elk. Mountain lion! I then decided to purchase my first pistol. After that hunting season, I realized that I’d be better off with CCW. Colorado DOW officers don’t always think best of Archery hunters with Firearms. (Know what I mean?) I have since moved on to CC almost all the time.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Quite simply as already stated:

1. because I can
    2. because I will NOT be a victim.

Grew up around guns (BB, .22's & shotguns) my whole life, but got serious about it when OH passed the law in March 04 and I got my permit this past Feb.

Smile

I grew up in Southeast Texas always surrounded by hunting and fishing but didn't really get into that myself until my senior year of high school. I moved to L.A. for a few years and saw "the big city" first hand as I volunteered with LAPD while there. I now live in a pretty safe city but am surrounded by . I know if any thing ever hits the fan here there will be a lot of victims but I wont be one of them.
    "Never turn your back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!"
    -- Winston Churchill

erh
    Originally, because I was required to, during the 10 - 16 hours a day (+-) that I wasn't in uniform in Very S. Florida. Then after that, because I had already done so for so long, I felt out of place not to.
    My requirement to do so ended just about 10 years ago now; my OPTION to do so (and have been legally since..) started just about 10 years ago.

As always,

My best to you & yours,

(erh)

After several months of due consideration and contemplation, my wife and I began a handgun safety and handling course in September, 2005. The events since 9/11, and then watching the "Katrina" chaos unfold was the impetus. We took weekly trips to the range, shot rented guns, and received patient training from a very experienced instructor. We took it slowly, and agreed that if either of us had "second thoughts" or "misgivings" that we could "withdraw" with no recriminations. We both received our CHL's now, and shoot weekly or more and continue training.

Our goal is to be prepared for possible unpleasant events in an uncertain world. We live in an isolated area with only one neighbor, ten miles out of town. The county we live in is one of the poorer counties in Texas. It has experienced a phenomenal increases in crime the past 24 months, primarily due to Meth and Oxy. The problem is rampant, and growing.

Additionally, we run off to the mountains of Colorado often, usually "to get lost" somewhere "off the map" during occasional day trips. Nothing frightening ever happened, but we see a strong need to become more prepared as the world appears to become more unstable.

So, as we "progress" and learn, we see more need to be become more prepared. It's just our way of doing things. If we're going to do "something", we will do it well, in a prudent manner.

For me, at age 37 or so, I just decided I would because I can, it is a challenge, and it was overall a Good Idea.

I had shot with my dad some, and when I had a child I decided that the boy would grow up to be familiar with firearms and they would not be taboo in our house. This required that I get re-familiarized with them, and at the same time I started reading gun boards, and drank the whole Gun Nut coolaid, undiluted.

It was a chore to convince the "No Guns In The House" wife, but I had a pretty solid plan, and more importantly, I was Right, and she's coming around. Now she doesn't even raise an eyebrow when I bring in a new gun.

Because...

Because every time I holster up I get the same feeling I get when I step out of the voting booth.
    I hope that make sense.

Always wanted to and when I could I started carrying almost every day.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by joenuclear
    Because every time I holster up I get the same feeling I get when I step out of the voting booth.
    I hope that make sense.

I like that.

Because I must

As a former LEO, I know, as most current and former cops will agree, that the chance that an officer will be there to protect you when TSHTF is slim to none. The incidents of violent behavior are sadly on the increase and I, for one, refuse to be a
    Just like cancer insurance and ICBMs, I hope that my pistol WAS a waste of money!
    This is my weapon, there are many like it but this one is mine. My weapon is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I have mastered My life. ...

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    It was the L A riots in the 60s. I was going to VN and when I got back I always carried. I started with a cheap RG 22 revolver that actually worked quite well. I used it one time, I put a nice long rifle hollow point into the leg of a crook who had just broken into the window of a car ahead of me when I was coming home from classes at LACC. In fact it was one of Ohshima's Shotokan classes. I told the old lady to leave and so did I. Never saw the perp again or the lady. I always carry in LA, usually legally with gun in a locked box ammo an another but easy to get if I have to. I bad areas I load an AMT and stick it in an upper hidden pocket. I usually stay in Kern County and carry open. LA is a battle zone so I stay out unless I have to. I worked CID for 10 years before returning to a line unit and had to deal with turds often, take my word they don't care at all about you.

mik
    When I learned a few years ago that we could get permits in our area (El Paso county, CO), I started thinking about it. Did I >really< need it? Would I carry? Etc. Fast forward thru the years ... Then I went to LA after Katrina. The guys we met there who briefed us said "There was a gunfight in that lot over there (across the dirt road) just last night." I looked and could see that at least three of them were carrying and they weren't trying very hard to hide it. Holy crap! What had I gotten into? I'm a ham radio operator, and expected to be operating in nice, safe, air-conditioned buildings. (I should note that I DID take my commander with me, but it stayed in the truck or the motor home the whole trip.) Anyway, we worked 6 different assignments in LA and MS, and I can't tell you how many signs I saw that warned would-be miscreants that the owners/residents were armed and would shoot. One sign said "Again. And again. And again".

That time in the gulf coast was my epiphany. It came crashing home just how vulnerable we are if we're unarmed when the SHTF and how unlikely it would be that any LEO could get there in time to save your bacon. I resolved to get my permit without hesitation when I got home.

My wife says she hates guns ... she's a court reporter and "I see what they do to people". [I know ... we're not gonna to go there.] But the the time our daughter called when coming home late to say "there's a guy standing in our driveway and I'm scared to drive in" and the three times our doorbell has rung after dark, she's asked me if I was going to get my gun. The last time was just 4 nights ago. The guy who (likely) rang the doorbell does not live in our area and he was standing in the middle of the street wearing dark clothing. I wore it openly IWB for the rest of the night and she never made a comment. I think whether she was aware of it or not, it provided some comfort to her that I was carrying and ready.

So, that's my story. I carry more and more. It's on my belt now. Like Clint Smith says "Your gun shouldn't be comfortable. It should be comforting". Mine is.

Quote Originally Posted by mik
    When I learned a few years ago that we could get permits in our area (El Paso county, CO), I started thinking about it. Did I >really< need it? Would I carry? Etc. Fast forward thru the years ... Then I went to LA after Katrina. The guys we met there who briefed us said "There was a gunfight in that lot over there (across the dirt road) just last night." I looked and could see that at least three of them were carrying and they weren't trying very hard to hide it. Holy crap! What had I gotten into? I'm a ham radio operator, and expected to be operating in nice, safe, air-conditioned buildings. (I should note that I DID take my commander with me, but it stayed in the truck or the motor home the whole trip.) Anyway, we worked 6 different assignments in LA and MS, and I can't tell you how many signs I saw that warned would-be miscreants that the owners/residents were armed and would shoot. One sign said "Again. And again. And again".

That time in the gulf coast was my epiphany. It came crashing home just how vulnerable we are if we're unarmed when the SHTF and how unlikely it would be that any LEO could get there in time to save your bacon. I resolved to get my permit without hesitation when I got home.

My wife says she hates guns ... she's a court reporter and "I see what they do to people". [I know ... we're not gonna to go there.] But the the time our daughter called when coming home late to say "there's a guy standing in our driveway and I'm scared to drive in" and the three times our doorbell has rung after dark, she's asked me if I was going to get my gun. The last time was just 4 nights ago. The guy who (likely) rang the doorbell does not live in our area and he was standing in the middle of the street wearing dark clothing. I wore it openly IWB for the rest of the night and she never made a comment. I think whether she was aware of it or not, it provided some comfort to her that I was carrying and ready.

So, that's my story. I carry more and more. It's on my belt now. Like Clint Smith says "Your gun shouldn't be comfortable. It should be comforting". Mine is.

Where were you in LA after Katrina? I worked for a couple of weeks out of Metarie, just west of New Orleans. Good times, and I can agree with you about the stories of gunfights "just over there." I saw the evidence of such, and saw a few myself.

I also agree that if anything confirmed my decision to carry a concealed weapon, it was my time in New Orleans. When all the good folks are missing from a city, you get to see just how many bad guys are out there. Scary stuff....

Jeremy

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links