Defensive Carry banner

Your carry decision

7K views 78 replies 73 participants last post by  disko 
#1 ·
Not very original - I mean heck we have discussed ''carry evolution'' - risk factors - all sorts of stuff already.

But wonder if you can remember that actual decision time and why. The day you decided - ''Yes, I will carry a concealed firearm". Was it ''Because I can"? ''Because I feel the need"? Some actual traumatic event?

I have for more years than I care to remember felt the need to excercise my innate human right to self defence and to carry - but back in UK days it was never legal ..... <cough!!>. I certainly was always armed at home.

Once I got here and married it was with some pleasure that I began to rebuild my shooting interests, although for some while I could not get handguns or carry. Once I was ''legal'' and had permanent residency I got things under way. Many folks say when asked why they carry - ''because I can''. Well that is my 2º reason. My 1º reason is because I choose too not easily become a victim, and the fact that I can (legally) is a bonus.

Now I am a U.S. citizen I am finally on a totally level playing field with everyone and that feels good. Folks know I am dedicated to carry - and I try my best to encourage others as well as teach what I can.

What kicked you off then, older folks starting, in particular?

See less See more
#27 ·
Some years ago some nut went through an Albertsons here with a shotgun. Those people didnt even have a chance. I guess that was a wake up call for me. Since I got my ccw it seems like I see on the news a carjacking or home invasion almost every day. I guess in short I carry because I wont be a victim.

#28 ·
I became a Dad. My wife saw something on TV that scared the crap out of her and brought the issue up with me. The top-most priority in life when you become a Dad is to protect your family.

Not just because I can, but because it's my duty to do so.

#29 ·
Kudos to GDDY UP. Nothing is more important. As you can see from my picture and signature statement. EVERYTHING changes on that miracle day in which someone becomes a father, and if it didn't, you are not a man at all.

#30 ·
I grew up in southern Indiana, its limestone country and the area is covered with old quarries, which make some of nicest swimming hole in the world. My buddy Tony and I were at one with some other people when 3 prime examples of pure white trash came by with an old H&R single shot shotgun and "screwed" with us for probably 30 min. I do think they were working themselves up to doing a rape of one of the girls when they were scared off by some other people coming. I swore that day no man would ever lord over me like that again, my buddy and I were working on the farm for his dad and the next payday we had him buy us each an M-1 carbine. We carried those carbines every time we went to the quarries and fortunately never saw our antagonists again.

The day I turned 21 I applied for my carry permit and was pissed to find out I could have gotten it at 18, I also went and purchased a 2 ½ inch round butt S&W model 19. I carried almost every day after that, until I moved to Missouri in ’98, and had 3 occasions to “display” the fact that I was armed. Now that Missouri has joined the enlightened states I rarely leave the house unarmed. My wife has also gotten her permit and carries my little Grendel P-10 .380 almost every where she goes, not bad considering when we meet she almost didn’t go out with me because of my “reputation” of always being armed and readiness to use it.

#31 ·
Other than keeping a 22 rifle that I got when I was a young teen, I never owned another gun until a little over a year ago when I got my CCW. Oh, and a black powder 44 cal pistol my Dad had put together as a kit and I inherited when he was too old to want to play with it. I shot both occassionally for fun, but just never felt the need to invest in anything else. But I've always supported the basic right to defend oneself and was in full support of the MO CCW law when it was passed. I was very disappointed when it was defeated first time around. But with the law being passed, my son's avid interest in firearms and the 2nd Amendment, an increasing awareness of the randomness of violence around us, and the fact that physically I'm not a match for someone bigger and younger than I am, prompted me to buy my first pistol and get my MO CCW. I wanted to be able to carry in more states so then I got a Florida CCW to boot. Well, then then I bought a second gun that was more conceal frinedly, and now I want another....will it ever end???

#33 ·
Several reasons I chose to carry and obtained my CHL in 2004:

• 9-11
  • Increasing violent crime in the past 2 years or so in my neck of the woods.
    • Because I drive through areas with high crime rates.
  • Because it is my right.
  • Because I have the right to self defense and I learned that I cannot rely on the police to protect me or my family.

In the time since I got my CHL my commitment to carrying has increased because:

• Hurricanes Katrina and Rita came ashore and we have imported a large criminal element from New Orleans.
  • Gang crime has also increased and has gotten so bad that the police department has now formed a gang murder squad! (Note: not just a gang squad but a gang murder squad). Police spokesman says he expects situation to get worse before it gets better.
  • This past week several car windows were shot out a few blocks away.
  • A few months ago three people were robbed in their driveway in broad daylight at gunpoint by multiple BGs. This happened one block from my house. This is in a nice neighborhood but criminal element comes in from surrounding areas.
    • Several months ago the neighbor across the street found a loaded handgun that someone had drooped on the sidewalk.
    • This week someone came to the front door of my house and looked in the window. When he realized someone was home he turned tail and ran away without ringing the doorbell.
  • Finally ,a member of my family was held up at gunpoint in another city by multiple BGs (chief BG had drawn a revolver, had the hammer back with his finger on the trigger). My family member was not shot thankfully.

I now carry everywhere I can. I go to the range at least once a month. I try to remain situationally aware.

#34 ·
My main reason for carrying now is, as the man of the house, it is my right and duty to protect my family. I feel I can do that most effectively by carrying.

#36 ·
My deciding "to carry" is simply a result of my own personal awareness of individual responsibility.

My wife, on the otherhand, has decided that if she has to spend too much time trying to explain it, that the person she is talking to is not likely to be smart enough to understand the explaination.

And her conclusion is one that I came to myself, years ago.

mm

#38 ·
I guess I'm kinda like Rocky. I've been a cop so long I dont remember when the last time I didnt carry in this country. Had a good FTO and add to that an off duty officer being killed when I was a rookie so I made a dicision that it wouldnt happen to me.

My "favorite" concealed permit was issued in Russia. Having been able to pack in that country rated right up with Japan and England (the English really get ticked when they realize your packing).

#39 ·
Some years past the wife, and I where camping, and some guy was making me very nervous. Being in a remote area, help would not make it in time.

As I get older, and may be more suspicious of others. By the time I even make a call for help it could be all over.

#40 ·
oilman said:
Several reasons I chose to carry and obtained my CHL in 2004:

9-11
Increasing violent crime in the past 2 years or so in my neck of the woods.
Because I drive through areas with high crime rates.
Because it is my right.
Because I have the right to self defense and I learned that I cannot rely on the police to protect me or my family.

In the time since I got my CHL my commitment to carrying has increased because:

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita came ashore and we have imported a large criminal element from New Orleans.
Gang crime has also increased and has gotten so bad that the police department has now formed a gang murder squad! (Note: not just a gang squad but a gang murder squad). Police spokesman says he expects situation to get worse before it gets better.

I now carry everywhere I can. I go to the range at least once a month. I try to remain situationally aware.
oilman,
+1
I could not have said it better myself.
One situation that had I not been so aware of my surroundings......well!!!!
I travel monthly in my business. Once, when I was in Houston, at a hotel that has outside entrances, I drew my weapon and pointed it at a big guy coming at me with a large hunting knife, who promptly turned and ran down a stairwell faster than I could pull the trigger. I say he was bigger than me and I am 6'6"@310. I went into my room promptly called the police and reported the matter, left that hotel and checked into another. I have never been back to that hotel either.

#41 ·
For me, I think it was when I began to realize that to carry legally was not a privlege, but a right. The police cannot protect my family, nor should I expect them to. It is my family. And God has given me the responsibility to take care of them. If I choose not to exercise my right to own and carry a handgun, I have already given anyone who would do harm to my family (or me) the advantage. kdailey

#42 ·
Iwent the carry route due to such a rise in Random violence. Or at least the reporting of it. Here in Richmond, VA, a relativity small city. We have topped the feds list of murders per capita when I was in school, and this year (2006) we started the year off with 9 murders in the first 11 days. One whole family of 4 with absolutely no connection to the BG's. Then their was the whole DC sniper thing a couple years back. Not much protection from that, but at least if the shot came from the car next to you, you could defend yourself if seen and attacked to prevent being a whiteness.

I've had my permit for several years but started carrying religiously here six months ago. It just doesn’t seem like the whole mentality of, if I try not to upset anyone else and avoid certain parts of town you will be safe. Not trying to say that I have ever been a member of the Brady Bunch, far from it. It's just an AWESUME responsibility to carry, and I take it that way. But especially now that I have a little one at home and with me out and about sometimes,

How does that saying go, I never leave home without it. :hand10:

#43 ·
I started carrying almost 30 years ago when working at a McDonalds and one nearby got robbed, everyone stuffed in freezer and killed. Now I carry for all the same reasons stated eqarlier in this thread and am damn proud to be among such good company.

#44 ·
My,father,grandfather,and greatgrandfather, started me with handguns at 5 years of age,on the family farm, all had seen war and its effects, and the "grands" had done time as town marshalls, it was decided I needed to know about them,and by the time I was 10 years old I was carrying a S&W victory model out and about on the farm,while my little sisters where playing,,it was my job to take care of them.

As I reach my teens , the 3 again decided it was time for more training,and thru friends and family I recieved traing from the old masters,,several are in the unknown file, but where some of the last western marshalls and town cops, I also studied under Mr.Bryce and COl.Askins, was able to pick the brains of Mr.Jordan and a few others.. My time came and I went to RVN, came home and decided good or bad to try the Church,where once my background was known I was sent to South America, where I ended up watching the back of the bishop,while visting certain groups of people. Deceided I liked booze and women better and came home and went into law enforcement, and stayed untill December of this year.

I have seen, been involved in ,or heard of just about any and all evil man can dish out,, there was no time where I "made" the decsion to carry, it was engrained from my early child hood.

Thank GOD for my elders

My Greatgrandfather was fond of one saying and it applies across the board

"If your a freeman,and American, they by god you should carry a gun"

#46 ·
There have been so many good replies; I'm sure to repeat what others have said.

Thankfully my state, Arizona, is an 'open carry' and also a 'shall issue' concealed carry state.

Reason that I carry: to be a survivor rather than a victim. My thanks to the founding fathers for the second amendment.

#47 ·
I carried off and on for years when it wasnt shall we say
"proper" for me to do so.

When my Kids moved out , I moved to my current state
with the Intention of FULLY exercising my 2A rights.

And I do. :comeandgetsome:

:biggrin2:

#48 ·
When I realized that most of the good guys have already left the building. I remember growing up in the 80's and everything was ok. You 70's babies like me remember. You could play outside late or least until the street lights came on. Atari was fairly new and mom and dad did not worry about you getting robbed or coming up missing. Well, after getting older, joining the military and truly starting to understand what life was really about I decided to carry.

After I completed my tour I worked for an alarm company, and it was times that alarms went off and the police operator was rude or simply put me on hold and did not care. Well, once a lady was really in trouble and the police showed up after the fact. Oh, she scared the intruder off, but my confidence really began to wane. Anyway I have carried since realizing the above. I am trying to get my brother to carry he lives about three hours away in a city where he does not have any family, and he is not currently married. Well, he can more than afford a very nice piece being that he is an Engineer, but he won't do it. I worry about my little brother and recently I tried to get him to buy a pistol but he only says he will think about.

Anyway, carry to protect you and your family.

#49 ·
I have spent over 20 years as a wilderness Search & Rescue volunteer in New Mexico. I have always carried openly when going into unfamiliar areas. But winter time brings long coats and covered weapons. Since we work for the State Police on SAR missions, I have always worried about getting nailed for carrying concealed. Two years ago we finally got the 'right' to carry concealed, and I got one of the early licenses. Like others have said, knowing I can deal with problems because I am armed makes me feel much more relaxed every day. On SAR missions, we used to stumble onto an occasional pot farm. Now it's more likely a rolling meth lab, and those guys take violent offense if you see them and disapprove. Add to that the fact that NM sits in the middle of the drug pipeline from Mexico to Chicago, and we live in a violent place. (Don't want to stop the drugs on their way to the nice city of Chicago, now do we?) So, like the rest of you, I'm glad I can carry, and I usually do.

#50 ·
Nothing Earth-shattering for me. Just realized that with kids in tow (3 & 5 mo's), can't always avoid or retreat. so it's better to be able to defend if all other avenues have been exhausted. Also as a firefighter, sometimes getting into situations that LEO's can't always keep under control.

#51 ·
Got my concealed carry permit a year and a half ago, when the music teacher at the local H.S. was pulled out of his car at gunpoint by two young punks and beat half to death, then robbed. I decided right then never to be a victim! I once heard that somebody might kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it's empty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.