Your carry decision

This is a discussion on Your carry decision within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not very original - I mean heck we have discussed ''carry evolution'' - risk factors - all sorts of stuff already. But wonder if you ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your carry decision

Assistant Administrator

Your carry decision

Not very original - I mean heck we have discussed ''carry evolution'' - risk factors - all sorts of stuff already.

But wonder if you can remember that actual decision time and why. The day you decided - ''Yes, I will carry a concealed firearm". Was it ''Because I can"? ''Because I feel the need"? Some actual traumatic event?

I have for more years than I care to remember felt the need to excercise my innate human right to self defence and to carry - but back in UK days it was never legal ..... <cough!!>. I certainly was always armed at home.

Once I got here and married it was with some pleasure that I began to rebuild my shooting interests, although for some while I could not get handguns or carry. Once I was ''legal'' and had permanent residency I got things under way. Many folks say when asked why they carry - ''because I can''. Well that is my 2º reason. My 1º reason is because I choose too not easily become a victim, and the fact that I can (legally) is a bonus.

Now I am a U.S. citizen I am finally on a totally level playing field with everyone and that feels good. Folks know I am dedicated to carry - and I try my best to encourage others as well as teach what I can.

What kicked you off then, older folks starting, in particular?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Not sure. I've wanted a pistol of my own since I was about 10. Guess I just don't like the idea of being a victim either.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Partly because I always wanted to do it.

Partly because it was something that I could do for myself, at last.

And largely because after I graduated from school, I got an awful good education in how much the real world sucks. My first job after college was awful as were my living conditions.

CCW honestly improves your whole lifestyle.

Lead Moderator
    Because I could. former LE, so some risk in being reconized in a small town from former "guests " at work.

VIP Member
    My decision came before I was 14 (and subscribing to Guns & Ammo magazine thanks to my parents) and living in the projects of NYC. The NYPD and every other LE agency could not protect my family or me from the bad guys on the streets. Even then, I though that responsibility primarily lie with oneself. Unfortunately, the "enlightened" City of New York opined differently, ensuring through their ineffectual Sullivan Law that firearms be inaccessible for most residents.

Living some other places, like Puerto Rico (with gun laws as bad as NYC) and worker's paradise of New Jersey made the situation no better for those of us wanting (if not demanding) to be our own first line of defense.

Becoming an LEO at the very least allowed me the chance to carry a weapon, but that wasn't the same as exercising my rights as a citizen of the U.S. to bear arms. Carrying a firearm as a private citizen is a right enshrined in the Bill of Rights, carrying a weapon as an LEO is a privilege.

So upon moving to the free state of Florida...I decided to exercise my right as a citizen (something that should have been afforded all of us years ago), applied for a CCW permit and carry a weapon under that permit.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I was living in California and getting a permit, was like pulling you own teeth. Then I came to Idaho got into the cowboy shooting and found single action too slow for me. Traded in guns and got my 1911, big difference. So I decided it was my right to carry and went down and got my license. Now I'm coming up on my renewal.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Just because I finally could and waited long enough for CCW in Missouri to become a reality. I also felt I owed it to not only myself and family but to all that fought for our right in the forefront in Missouri for years. I wanted to set the example that we are not crazy as they said we would be, that the wild west would not come true as they had hope and to disprove all of the anti's BS that they said would happen that never did and never will happen.

I also agree that it improves your life in many ways, this forum being one of them. I am not sure I would be writing this today on CC if I hadn't gotten my CCW permit. Also CCW mellows a person out, it did me anyway. I find I am an even nicer person than before CCW, I think about what I say and how I say things better and just feel I am much smarter than ever before as well as more prepared than ever to defend myself or family if I ever have to.

I love everything about it and it's our right for Christ sake.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I was gonna get one in Cali but in combination of finding a weekend to go to a 2 day class on CCW (state requirement), all costs and paperwork. I just never got around to it.
    But....being back in Georgia changed my outlook immediately. The included bonuses were only $40 fee, no stupid gov't required class, and I didn't have to give a reason why I wanted to conceal. Most importantly is its a gun friendly state.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I've had some type of handgun for over 40 years now. I always felt that having it in the home and in the car was adequate, so I didn't worry much about concealed carry. I did have a permit years ago in Georgia, and carried open there when camping. When I moved to Florida, I didn't bother once I learned that I could keep a pistol in the car. I went for CCW last year when I felt that age and increased drug related crime probably made my wife and me easier targets. That's when I decided to carry. Now I don't leave the house without being armed.

I grew up in L.A. as a kid with out a gun surrounded by gang members with guns. I always felt they were in controll of my life. And if i did the wrong thing or ended up outside the saftey of my fermillior home and neighborhood. I was dead meat. That never happend. I moved away to Oregon , where my father taught me to shoot, and be safe with a pistol. The day i turned 21 i took my measley 90 bucks and got a Hipoint .380. BIG BULKY. That thing cant really be a carry gun very easily. So i kept it for shooting out in the woods. Then 2 months ago my father passed away suddenly. I felt Alone, and knew that i was the "man" of the house now for not only just my family but for my widowed mother too. I guess i wanted to feel more in controll of my life and theirs. So i took my class and got on the waiting list for the appointments. and I should be carrying by march 1st. ( LONG waiting list). I know that I can carry, I know that i want to carry, so i guess thats enough said.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Sounds funny, but graduating college and finally getting a good paying job is what 'kicked me off' to getting my fist pistol and to getting my CCW.

One of the local sheriffs trained at the gym I worked at back then. We became friends, and one day I asked him about getting my CCW. He told me jus tto go to the court house and he could have it for me with a simple phone call. So I did, and drove to the gun store and bought my Bersa Thunder .45 ACP the same day.
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. For when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

Nietzsche

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I blundered into Law Enforcement as a young man (believe it or not it was for the better pay ) and My Chief mandated that I was on call 24/7 ( small dept ) been carrying either professionaly or privately every since it seems LOL

+1 rocky
    But I have ccw before LO Job.

Well, I always liked shooting, but was linited to BB guns. I shot the first time in the Air Force. Loved the real thing.
    I've had rifles, pistols and wheelers sine 1978. I decided to start carrying 9/11. I decided that is something happened, I would not be a . Better to go down fighting.
    Now, it's 24x7
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    As soon as I turned 21 I got my CCW in Georgia. I have always been a strong believer that if you don't exercise your rights then someone will try to take them away.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links