Defensive Carry banner

Denver Colorado Folks

3K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  PatrioticRick 
#1 ·
I received this msg from my firearms instructor.

I have received information that on at least 2 occasions Denver police officers ARRESTED & had taken into custody, Colorado Springs Police Officers (in civilian clothing, with CSPD/ID and informed arresting officers, that they WERE CSPD Officers) and taken to the nearest Denver police station for carrying concealed firearms within the kingdom, city & county of Denver.

They were released after a few phone calls between Denver police & Colorado Springs, PD.

Word to the wise, DON'T CARRY CONCEALED OR OTHERWISE in the limits of the city or county of Denver.

FYI for no Colorado folks. With the exception of Denver, Colorado is liberal with it's gun laws. Open carry or concealed with permit. I have looked over the actual gun statute for Denver, and you really need to be a lawyer to understand it. Job security??? It took me some time to find it on the web. http://www.denvergov.org/Gun_Information/template2739.asp I am glad I don't live in the "Peoples Republic of Denver."

See less See more
#2 ·
I have gotten the feeling that Denver wants to emulate Daley's Chicago!! Add also to its list of ''companion'' cities such places as DC and NYC. No doubt, being in MD, Baltimore too is a gun-free zone (other than for crooks, of course!).

If the folks in Philly do not keep well abreast of things there will be yet another city with gun lock-down too.

#4 ·
Colorado does have a pre emption law , prob is ( peoples republic of denver ) feels that home rule superseeds it , there are several cases in the courts now to decide the issue . IMHO denver is the pustule on the anus of colorado and i wouldnt live there if they gave away free guns LOL

#6 ·
P95Carry said:
No doubt, being in MD, Baltimore too is a gun-free zone (other than for crooks, of course!).
RIght now I don't think Baltimore is any more restrictive than the rest of Maryland. Of course you still can't (legally) drive through McDonald's on the way home from the range.:mad:

#7 ·
You can have a firearm with you if you are going to or from a range, gun show or moving. If you are passing through Denver it is ok. Other than that I believe you are screw. This is one more reason for me not to travel to Denver. Less tax money for them.

It may very well be you can't stop on the way home from the range, too get a bite to eat.

#9 ·
Trouble is, there are way too few Coloradans left in Denver. They are all transplants from California who brought their left wing ideas with them.

My brother lives in Northglenn, a northern suburb of Denver. He always comes south to Pueblo to leave for elk camp. For a few years, he would be actually breaking the law if he transported his .270 through Denver on the way to Pueblo. Not sure how he did it, but he always showed up ready to go elk hunting.:confused:

Traveling north or south through Denver; think E470. For $6 or $7 in tolls, you can completely bypass the armpit of Colorado, along with the traffic that goes with it.

#10 ·
In addition to travel, and from range, gun shows, and moving. If you are going hunting you can carry as well. I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV. But this how I am reading the statute.

It is really to bad the average person can't easily read any law on the books, and fully understand it.

#11 ·
As I understand it the problem isn't really with CC, it's with the state's "peacable journey" law. In Colorado you can carry a loaded weapon in your vehicle (shotgun & rifle have to have empty chamber, pistol doesn't) even without a permit. That's what Denver has had a problem with, from what I've read in the papers.

The courts have ruled that Denver can't prevent people from passing thru Denver with weapons, but they can prohibit it on journeys that both begin and end in Denver.

I wish they would arrest me for not breaking the law, I need the money I'd get from the lawsuit.

#12 ·
I'm currently living in Denver and do carry concealed on my FL & NH permits and have yet to have a problem. The key here is "concealed"!

While Denver does have a problem with car carry, their biggest "concern" is openly carrying since they use that as one of the "heaping" charges that they can use against people when they arrest them for gun related crimes. The car carry thing comes from the drive-by gang shootings that were happening in the late 1980's that prompted the original anti-car carry & open carry prohibitions.

Denver's other problem is that they enjoy "home rule" status under constitutional authority; however they and Boulder like to interpret that status as the ability to disregard state law and do their own thing, no matter what the rest of the state is doing, even other home rule cities. Both Denver and Boulder are working very hard at becoming the "San Francisco of the Rockies", though Boulder does have an edge on Denver through seniority.

The ruling which granted Denver the ability to supercede parts of the CCW & preemption laws that it didn't like, namely open carry. They still have to issue permits and not impede legal CCW activities nor deny the right of concealed car carry within the city/county limits. The case was decided by a Denver circuit court judge who's a big time anti-gun liberal. Bill Ritter, the former City Attorney and current Dem gubenatorial candidate, and his office worked hard to have the case judged in Denver's favor.

The state has filed an appeal to overturn the ruling with the state court of appeals so hopefully it'll get overturned. I predict that it will go all the way to the state Supreme Court which is still packed with judges appointed by Dick Lamm & Roy Romer, two major liberal anti-gun Dems. At least we still have strong preemption in the rest of the state, and for the most part no one cares as they think that Denver/Boulder should move to CA and stop inflicting their pain and problems on the rest of the state.

#13 ·
home rule issues affect a lot more than just gun ownership , i hope the appeals court or supreme court if needed will put some limits on it , its somewhat a grey area in colorado statutory and caselaw currently and needs resolved not just for the ccw issues but for accountablility

#14 ·
Makes me glad that I am not still a Denver Police Reserve Officer. I have been back to Colorado twice since moving to Arizona and was very disappointed to see many of the of the activities we used to enjoy there restricted, if not altogether banned. They are much more strict on where you can camp, hike, fish, shoot, prospect, etc. I expected it was the Californians' influence. They have ruined parts of Arizona as well....

#15 ·
I live close to Denver, but not in it. I have read messages mentioning vague stories of Denver LEOs arresting CWP exercisers, but I also read a message (addressed to me in response to a similar question) from an alleged Denver LEO who stated that such harrassment does not occur. One can hear what he wants to hear and disregard the rest. The putative LEO has first-hand knowledge, every other thing I read is hearsay, so I choose to think that the poster was actually a Denver LEO and knew what he was writing about.

Denver deviates from the Colorado state laws by banning open carry and "peaceable journey" car carry. As a result of the ongoing legal battle, Denver still bans open carry, but must permit concealed carry by CWP holders and also must allow car carry by CWP holders. There is the further nuance in the Denver statutes that a loose weapon (not in the holster) in the car is considered to be under the control of all occupants. So a CWP holder stopped and rousted in Denver with pistol under the seat could see the nonCWP spouse/passenger charged with a crime.

What I do on the infrequent occasions I go into Denver with anyone else in my car is to make sure it's in my holster. Normal for me anyway, because a loose chunk of metal can become a dangerous projectile in a crash.

#16 ·
Larry Ashcraft said:
Trouble is, there are way too few Coloradans left in Denver. They are all transplants from California who brought their left wing ideas with them.
Exactly! I'm a native (actually 2nd generation native) of the fine state of Colorado & I don't go into Denver or Boulder unless I just have to. When I do, you can be sure I carry.
The political bent of these two cities embarrasses me and most other folks with real roots in the state. :embarassed:

#17 ·
.45Fan said:
Exactly! I'm a native (actually 2nd generation native) of the fine state of Colorado & I don't go into Denver or Boulder unless I just have to. When I do, you can be sure I carry.
The political bent of these two cities embarrasses me and most other folks with real roots in the state. :embarassed:
.45, they also embarrass those of us who've lived here, moved away to places worse (DC/NoVA) and then moved back and can see just how the Californians have ruined the place. It's the same reason I left Florida for Denver in the first place, and why we're coming back from DC.

Next stop, Wyoming, Montana or Idaho since we like the cold, outdoors and my guns!

#18 ·
That "gun statute" is out-dated!

glock21guy said:
I have looked over the actual gun statute for Denver, and you really need to be a lawyer to understand it.http://www.denvergov.org/Gun_Information/template2739.asp
This quote from the above web page doesn't make sense:

"1. Sec. 38-116.5 Concealed Weapons-Permits

Chief of Police authorized to issue concealed weapons

Chief of Police may promulgate regulations on issuance of concealed weapons permits"

Because Colorado is a "shall issue" state. See the following from http://www.packing.org:

10/7/04 A Denver District Court judge has ruled that, state law notwithstanding, the City of Denver can exercise its home-rule status and retain:

Its ban on "assault weapons" and "Saturday night specials;"
Its requirement for "safe storage" of all firearms;
Its ban on open carry.

However, the judge ruled that Denver cannot enforce:
Its ban on furnishing firearms to minors;
Its ban on firearms in parks, so long as the carrier is licensed to carry;
Its ban on accessible firearms in automobiles traveling in the city, so long as the carrier is licensed to carry.

Bills SB 24 and SB 25 were signed by the Governor and will take effect on or about May 18, 2003. These two bills make Colorado "Shall Issue" and gives the state "Preemption" on all firearm laws.

#19 ·
"taken to the nearest Denver police station for carrying concealed firearms within the kingdom"

My question is, if they (CSPD Officers) were carrying concealed, what were they (CSPD Officers) doing that caused the Denver Police to stop, question and apprehend the CSDP folks? I have carried concealed around many police and never been asked anything. Were they displaying the weapons, talking about carrying, drinking and disorderly, what made the Denver police stop them for in the first place?

#20 ·
JAXFL said:
"taken to the nearest Denver police station for carrying concealed firearms within the kingdom"

My question is, if they (CSPD Officers) were carrying concealed, what were they (CSPD Officers) doing that caused the Denver Police to stop, question and apprehend the CSDP folks? I have carried concealed around many police and never been asked anything. Were they displaying the weapons, talking about carrying, drinking and disorderly, what made the Denver police stop them for in the first place?
My thoughts exactly. Usually when I carry concealed I make sure that it stays concealed, keeps the annonymity factor in place.

#21 ·
Larry Ashcraft said:
When I sold my house in California (I am a native) to get the hell out of California, I sold it the a couple from Denver, California is 95% transplants. Now in Idaho 5 of my neighbors are natives of California and all own guns. Go figure, My whole family all live in other states now, the only true Californian is the one that doesn't live there, because the liberals screwed it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.