I'm having a debate with myself at this moment!

This is a discussion on I'm having a debate with myself at this moment! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In light of my little mistake involving misplacing my firearm, and having to tell the client supervisor that I might have lost my gun, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm having a debate with myself at this moment!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

In light of my little mistake involving misplacing my firearm, and having to tell the client supervisor that I might have lost my gun, I was told I cannot have my firearm on the property, even if it is in my car.

At this point I am thinking that since I cannot have the most effective means to defend myself going to and from work, I am going to quit my security job and get into a different field, and make it a point to be aware of where my gun is at all times.

Another part of me is saying to keep my gun locked in my car anyway just to have it with me for when I go to and from work, but that would mean I am breaking company rules. Even though I am not employed directly through my job site, I am still not allowed to have it, just the same as the employees that work there. The guard agency I work for does not even allow their regular guards to carry guns. I swear security guard jobs are a joke these days.

If you were in my position, would you quit the job?

By the way I am only working twice a week which is far below the hours I want because my physical condition limits on what I can do. Most of the job sites my agency has requires that I be on my feet for most of the shift, and I simply cannot do that. Nor do they provide medical benefits which I need now more than ever. These two things has been leading me towards quitting as well. I do still live at home with my parents, so that does provide some flexibility.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    Personally I'd probably stay at the current job and aggressively look for a new job in my off hours. Then I'd quit.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Personally I'd probably stay at the current job and aggressively look for a new job in my off hours. Then I'd quit.
    I agree....

Finding a job when you have a job is easier.

Most employers like to hire people who can keep a job, and besides what reason are you going to list that you left your previous employment?

If you health is that, you cannot work on your feet, you may want to look for work in another field.

Oh ya… How did you lose or misplace a firearm?

Administrator
    A true general perception to an employer is that you are a more valuable employee if they are pulling you away from some other job. I would stay working and spend lots of free time looking for something else.
    Hopefully armed Security as VS unarmed Security.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Is there anyway for you to park just outside of the place you work? That way at least you could lock your gun up. I agree with all.....keep working and look for anothr job with what free time you have.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Never quit one job until you have another. Especially in an economy like this one. I agree with Reborn who said park somewhere else if you can. If you can't, well, what's more important? Your job or your life?
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Never quit one job until you have another. Especially in an economy like this one. I agree with Reborn who said park somewhere else if you can. If you can't, well, what's more important? Your job or your life?
    Good advice. Park "off site" and do your job hunting while still employed.... :
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    +1 on arranging a safety net before jumping, as well as parking offsite.

On the subject of safety, however, unless you're highly motivated to stay in the security field, it would seem that your being somewhere that needs a guard and wearing a uniform but no gun is by nature an unsafe job. You might want to consider something else. I have no idea what you need for a pay rate, but I know that the phone agents at a local call center make more than the county sheriff's officers. You're a bit far from Virginia (and they can't have weapons on the property either), but I'm writing this to suggest thinking outside the box.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I agree, don't quit until you have another job to go to. Since you live w/ your parents that gives you a lot more freedom in your job search. Now is a good time to look into other careers. I'm on career number 6 myself. Don't be afraid to try something new.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Education, education, education, education. It always helps.

As others have said, have a destination and financial plan before you quit.

i agree with what everyone has said about the job. did u find your gun? how the hell did u loose it in the first place?

VIP Member
    Keep the job you have until you get another. As far as any medical concerns you may have, do not mention them to any potential new employer, unless required to for the job. No employer is going to want to hire someone that their health insurance company is going to view as a liability.

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    In light of my little mistake involving misplacing my firearm, and having to tell the client supervisor that I might have lost my gun, I was told I cannot have my firearm on the property, even if it is in my car.

At this point I am thinking that since I cannot have the most effective means to defend myself going to and from work, I am going to quit my security job and get into a different field, and make it a point to be aware of where my gun is at all times.

Another part of me is saying to keep my gun locked in my car anyway just to have it with me for when I go to and from work, but that would mean I am breaking company rules. Even though I am not employed directly through my job site, I am still not allowed to have it, just the same as the employees that work there. The guard agency I work for does not even allow their regular guards to carry guns. I swear security guard jobs are a joke these days.

If you were in my position, would you quit the job?

By the way I am only working twice a week which is far below the hours I want because my physical condition limits on what I can do. Most of the job sites my agency has requires that I be on my feet for most of the shift, and I simply cannot do that. Nor do they provide medical benefits which I need now more than ever. These two things has been leading me towards quitting as well. I do still live at home with my parents, so that does provide some flexibility.
    I don't know who you work for, but this sounds a lot like the situation I was in a year ago. Except for the part about loosing my gun! I was working two days a week, 12 hr. shifts, at $10 an hour, as a security guard. Finally got my disability approved, I no longer work. My advice is about the same as the others have offered. Keep the job you now have, and look for another. The company I worked for did offer med. ins. for full time employees. I know that finding a job as a security guard that does not require a lot of standing, and walking isn't easy. On the one I had we still had to make patrols, day and night, but we used a golf cart, so I could handle that part. I have also worked the Wal Mart parking lots, as security, and again, we were provided with a car, or truck, for this job. On another job we worked a smaller parking lot, and we had a golf cart for that one too. Look around, there are some jobs out there as a security guard that will provide transportation to keep you off your feet. I also don't know how old you are, but if you can, get a good education in a career field that you like, and can do.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I say do NOT quit this current job until you have a new one. Search like crazy during your off time. Find something you will truly enjoy.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

jfl
    It is not a good time to be unemployed; then you have to answer the question your new employer will ask you: "Why did you quit".

As other posters said it is a lot easier to find a job when you have one ...
    My take: keep your job, make a decision how you are going to address the fact that your employer doesn't want you to have a gun in your car, and look for a better place.

Good luck !
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links