Applebee's No Gun sign in WA State

This is a discussion on Applebee's No Gun sign in WA State within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For anyone to turn away business in this economy blows my mind!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Applebee's No Gun sign in WA State

VIP Member
    For anyone to turn away business in this economy blows my mind!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

I mostly just ignore the sign (just about any sign that doesn't threaten to skin me alive). It's almost always easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission. You can choose not to go there if you want. But remember that "Concealed means Concealed". Somebody who just needs to tell everybody he has a gun...Well I'd prefer he goes someplace else to eat as well.

To the original poster....... I don't know where you live or which Applebees you go to........ but why not just call the place and ask them about their "no gun" sign..... then let the rest of your gunnie friends know.......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

There has been discussion of the Applebee's policy on OpenCarry.org and as I recall they do have a "no gun" policy. Their citation of 9.41, however, is erroneous. There is no state law that prohibits restaurant carry -- the section of 9.41 they are citing is for the bar, as others have pointed out. Stay out of areas that are posted as off limits to minors by the Liquor Control Board and you are legal.

IANAL (but I know my Washington statutes!)

C Paul

Edit: I was in error -- actually there have been OC lunches at Applebee's in Washington with several persons present and all open carrying. So, the sign is just poorly worded. (my brain must be turning to mush)
    Last edited by C Paul Lincoln; February 13th, 2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Correction to information

In WA, they can't ban you from a building, BUT they can request that you leave. No building/business is allowed to ban people with CPLs from entering their buildings, unless they are a bar or liquor store, because even off-duty police can't carry in permitted areas of alcohol sales OR state, county or city buildings.

Now, because Applebee's is not all a bar, they are only required to restrict weapons in the bar area itself, NOT the whole building. However, like others have said, if they ask you to leave, you must.

If there's a sign on the door that says 'no guns' (or something to that extent) you can still enter; it's merely a request from the business, but they have no legal right to outright ban a person with a CPL from entering... the CPL gives you the right in WA to do just that: enter buildings/businesses with a concealed weapon. The RCW is very clear that you are allowed to carry a pistol if you have the CPL.

BTW, I was given that information by the Kent Police when I applied for it AND I've received the same info from various officers in WA that I've asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson1 View Post
    Anyway in the Applebee's is a sign stating that no guns are allowed and "per chapter 9.41 of state law this includes concealed permit holders"
    That is their "we don't want yer kind in here" sign.

I thought that restaraunt carry was legal in the state of Washington even if they served alcohol.
    Yep, *EXCEPT* in the areas marked "no one under 21" (bar area).

Help me out here please.......is it legal?

if so.....does there sign hold any weight or can they just tell me to leave if they see my gun?
    Yes, it is legal as long as you avoid the bar area(s) and leave if they ever ask you to.

Note, this is no different with or without a firearm, if a business/private property owner asks you to leave, you must leave. If you don't, you are trespassing.

That said, some also see this as a moral issue wrt respecting their wishes.

All in all, they are basically saying they don't want you, so you should decide if you really want to give them your money.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;

Clearly restaurant carry, even in a restaurant that serves alcohol, is allowed. As others have said, I couldn't find anything that would allow a business to prohibit carry simply by virtue of a posting either.
    To OP, note that *you* as a CCW holder must know where you can and can't go, and anywhere you see the state liquor "no one under 21" posting is one of them. Basically, you can't rely on no "no guns" signs posted in places that are actually prohibited.

It might be interesting.........fun even .......to ask Applebees for clarification on which portion of the statute they're citing.
    Remember they can ask you to leave for *any* reason, including *no* reason, so asking them isn't likely to be overly productive. :-)

-john

Quote Originally Posted by Samson1 View Post
    or can they just tell me to leave if they see my gun?
    Remember, nobody should ever see your gun while you are CCWing. :-)

-john

I would call Applebee's and explainthat you are part of the local gun club and would have liked to weekly lunches with appx 10-12 members for the next 8 weeks at their store but you noticed the No Guns signs and You will be taking your business to XYZ until the signs come down. See what the manager says then. $ gone. Hit them in their wallet.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I was in one in LA Packin last night! Must not be a corporate decision.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

For WA State Residents

For those either new to our State or new to CCW here, I strongly recommend Dave Workman's definitive book "Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities".

Written by a long time firearms instructor with insider knowledge of both our local political and legal system, Dave's book is a must read for anyone carry in WA.

Washington Gun Rights and Responsibilities

-Paul

Disclaimer: I have no association with the above mentioned author, blah blah, blah. Just a satisifed customer.
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links