Applebee's No Gun sign in WA State

This is a discussion on Applebee's No Gun sign in WA State within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last weekend my wife and I went to our local Applebee's. I've applied for my CPL and I'm just waiting for it to show up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applebee's No Gun sign in WA State

Applebee's No Gun sign in WA State

Last weekend my wife and I went to our local Applebee's. I've applied for my CPL and I'm just waiting for it to show up in the mail so in the meantime I'm watching for signs around town so I know what to avoid when carrying and researching carry guns and holsters. Anyway in the Applebee's is a sign stating that no guns are allowed and "per chapter 9.41 of state law this includes concealed permit holders" I thought that restaraunt carry was legal in the state of Washington even if they served alcohol. Help me out here please.......is it legal? if so.....does there sign hold any weight or can they just tell me to leave if they see my gun? Thanks.....and if anybody has a IWB holster for a Bersa .380 let me know

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I reviewed WA's laws again, and I couldn't find anything about prohibited carry by legal signage. That's not to say it doesn't exist...I just haven't seen it. I think they can put up the sign, and ask you to leave, but you can still carry. If they don't see it, it's fine.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I reviewed WA's laws again, and I couldn't find anything about prohibited carry by legal signage. That's not to say it doesn't exist...I just haven't seen it. I think they can put up the sign, and ask you to leave, but you can still carry. If they don't see it, it's fine.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.
    This is my understanding as well.

Once they ask you to leave you can't stay - just like any other trespassing. But as far as legal enforcement of the sign: there is none.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I eat there all the time and have yet to notice the signs. Good spotting.
    I have also never seen a law regarding signage in Washington. And according to various handgun law websites, carry is legal in a restaurant that serves alcohol so long as you are not siting in the bar.

Hopefully, if they ever do ask me to leave, it is after I eat and before payment!! HAHA

The only item I could find in the statute as it relates to your question was this prohibition:

(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;

Clearly restaurant carry, even in a restaurant that serves alcohol, is allowed. As others have said, I couldn't find anything that would allow a business to prohibit carry simply by virtue of a posting either.

It might be interesting.........fun even .......to ask Applebees for clarification on which portion of the statute they're citing.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

You could contact your local Sheriffs Dept and ask them.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

From time to time, I see those silly signs, and unless it’s listed in Florida’s DO NOT I pay no attention to it.

All they can do is ask me to leave

Washington State restauraunt carry is legal.
    If the restauraunt has an area where only 21 or older are allowed there, concealed carry is not allowed in that area.
    I am pretty sure the no-gun sign was a company/corporate policy thing.

They post that sign because of their bar section that is generally in the middle of the restaurant. As long as you aren't sitting in the bar area you are fine.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

If a business has a no gun sign, i go somewhere else. Besides, Applebee's food is not that good.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Quote Originally Posted by community View Post
    If a business has a no gun sign, i go somewhere else. Besides, Applebee's food is not that good.
    +1 Want me to be unprotected, you don't want my money.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Keep it concealed and enjoy your food. They might have a "no gun" policy at Applebee's and they threw the 9.41 in there to refer to the bar area. Good luck with your CPL. Hope you don't have to go through the hassle I did. (lost in mail crap)

All though I would have to agree with community... the food has gone down hill.

VIP Member
    They must not need the business!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

id say either stay away from aplebees to avoid any hassles with them asking you to leave, or make sure noone ever sees it, personally i would just avoid any hassle by avoiding the resteraunt, theres plenty of other resteraunt's out there......just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Samson1 View Post
    Last weekend my wife and I went to our local Applebee's. I've applied for my CPL and I'm just waiting for it to show up in the mail so in the meantime I'm watching for signs around town so I know what to avoid when carrying and researching carry guns and holsters. Anyway in the Applebee's is a sign stating that no guns are allowed and "per chapter 9.41 of state law this includes concealed permit holders" I thought that restaraunt carry was legal in the state of Washington even if they served alcohol. Help me out here please.......is it legal? if so.....does there sign hold any weight or can they just tell me to leave if they see my gun? Thanks.....and if anybody has a IWB holster for a Bersa .380 let me know
    I am not familiar with Washington's laws but in Kentucky which has CCDW and allows open carry, businesses may restrict carry on their premises. It is a misdemenor and is considered simple trespass if they catch you with a CCW, but otherwise not illegal.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links