She's coming around

This is a discussion on She's coming around within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, last night I saw a little light at the end of the tunnel. To be honest I never thought it would happen. I have ...

Thread: She's coming around

She's coming around

Well, last night I saw a little light at the end of the tunnel. To be honest I never thought it would happen. I have read stories about other people's spouses coming around, but I never believed mine would.

About a year ago, I finally got my license. I carry an XD40 Service in a Crossbreed Supertuck. For many years I considered getting my license and, of course, discussed it with my wife. Her very first question was, "Why?" Really? Anyway, she wasn't against it, but she wasn't exactly for it, either. She is pretty much in the middle. However, she has a sister and friends who I have a very strong feeling add to the "Why?" and try to make her think I am paranoid. They are sheep in the truest sense of the word. When I ask if I can remove their airbags because they won't need them unless there is an accident, they just blink at me... yeah, not that sharp, either.

So anyway, last night after work, my wife wants to head to the Premium Outlets in Vegas. It's like a mall, but all of the walking between stores is done outdoors. We pack up the 4 yo boy and 8 yo girl and get ready to head out. I, of course, go heeled. The mall is nice but not in the best part of town and I knew we would pass through some rough areas on the way there.

We got to the mall, parked in the parking garage and headed to the elevator. When the elevator door opened all of the lights in it were burnt out. No big deal, really, the elevator is one of those huge ones with the glass wall on the back side. It was plenty bright enough to see that no one was inside it... I could have read a book, to be honest, but thought it could be spooky for some.

We spent about 2.5 hours shopping, going in and out of stores and the place was pretty dead. It is well lit, so no big deal. I did see a few groups of guys who I decided could be a threat, so I was definitely on my guard, but not to the point that the mood was ruined. The evening went well.

On the way home I told my wife, "This is the longest I have ever carried" which is sadly true. I don't go out much.

Her: "You are carrying?"
    Me: "Of course."
    Her: "I wondered if you were... when I saw how dark the area was I wondered."
    Me:

She is finally starting to get it. Instead of ing around, she is seeing situations where she is apparently hoping that I am carrying. That means she is starting to see the point of carrying and is getting away from the "Why?"

Happy Day!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    when I first got married and said I wanted to get my CHL the wife didn't understand

after telling her some stories, letting her read "Armed Citizen" articles from the NRA, showing her stories locally, etc, she realized its up to us to defend ourselves when the stuff hits the fan

keep working on her
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Still working on my wife, I wish she'd carry. (Junior high school teacher) who has been threatened by a student.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

My spousal issues are a bit different. We both got our weapons no problem. My wife's father was a hunter and LEO - she grew up around guns. We took the classes together and have gone to the range together. She shoots her Kimber Aegis II in tight groups having learned to shoot as a kid.

But now she wants me to just tell her what I learn about concealed carry. She hasn't invested any time in learning or practicing beyond what we do occasionally at the range. When she said she would just put her weapon in her purse, I showed her some articles (inlcuding TNMike's draw down) and pointed out the purse is a bad idea. Had that happened to her at the gas pump, the weapon would be in the car or in the perp's hands.

I am going to sign us up for a tactical class this spring.

Our CHL class instructor said something I took to heart: "Carrying a gun does't keep you protected and safe, but PROFICIENCY with your weapon will."
    Last edited by MadMac; February 11th, 2009 at 08:33 PM.

good to hear

my wife and I went to ccw class together, applied for CPL together, bought our xd9sc together, shoot at the range together, and carry together. I love my wife dearly.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Congrats. good for you.

My wife was surprised when I got my CHL but certainly did not disapprove. Where we live, guns are part of the fabric of our [western Colorado] culture.

Though she would not get a CHL for herself, she's very appreciative of me having mine, always asking me to accompany her on trips around town and then checking to make sure I'm carrying.

Last month, we had to drive down to Phoenix in the middle of the night on a family emergency. As we were filling up, prior to leaving, she asked me "You've got your gun, don't you?". I replied "Sweetie, I carry over to your mother's (only 3 blocks away); do you think I would not be carrying on a 800 mile trip at night?"

She wants me carrying.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Sometimes it just takes a little time - be patient and she'll come around.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

The best day ever.....

Wife: will come shopping with me
    Me: why?
    Wife: I have to go down town
    Me: so
    Wife: its not a good area and I feel safer with you and your friend!
    Me: I really dont want to go shopping...lol

mkh
    Baby steps.

Remember, the longest journey starts with a single step.

My wife and run all major decisions through each other, and she was a bit skeptical about me getting a permit (in a current forum, so I'll save you all the details.) Remember, it pays to give to recieve. She had been on the fence until I bought her some diamond earrings! Some call it bribery, I call it efficient communication. LOL.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Links