Help me re-write our "Weapon Free Workplace" company policy!

This is a discussion on Help me re-write our "Weapon Free Workplace" company policy! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've searched high and low for examples of company policy that has been changed or redacted altogether regarding "gun free zones" but haven't had any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me re-write our "Weapon Free Workplace" company policy!

Help me re-write our "Weapon Free Workplace" company policy!

I've searched high and low for examples of company policy that has been changed or redacted altogether regarding "gun free zones" but haven't had any luck.

I figure this is the best place to ask!

About 9 months ago our policy committee created a ton of policies. One of which is our "Weapons Free Workplace" policy. I was not aware of this policy as it was being created and approved and recently stumbled across it while looking for something else.

Here it is in it's entirety:
    PURPOSE:
    It is the purpose of this policy to ensure that all employees understand the policy of <business name> as it relates to the prohibition of weapons on <business name> property and while conducting <business name> business.
    POLICY:
    <business name> will maintain and enforce the prohibition of weapons in the workplace and on <business name> property, and while conducting <business name> business in a facility or customer’s home.
    PROCEDURE:
    1. Forbidden (banned) weapons include but are not limited to guns and/or knives, for which the intent of the item is to cause bodily harm to a person.
    2. Such items may not be brought on to <business name> property, parking lot (inside employee’s vehicle), customers’ homes, or any other facility where <business name> employees conduct <business name> business.
    3. Failure to follow the policy may lead to disciplinary action up to and including termination.
    As a law abiding CCW holder, there are already holes in this policy with item #1.

Item #2 is also out the door (if it comes down to splitting hairs) since we don't own the building, property or parking lot where we do business.

I am high enough on the food chain that I could have this policy at the very least changed to be a little more vague, explicitly add provisions for CCW holders and maybe - just maybe - redact the entire policy.

10% of our employees either are current CCW holders or future CCW holders.

3 out of 4 people on the policy committee are either pro gun or rationally neutral.

I was not part of the policy writing committee so I don't have the experience in writing them and would like your input. I've also got a PowerPoint presentation I'm prepared to give to the committee to reinforce the fact that "Gun Free Zones" do not guarantee your safety.

By the way, I hold a CCW and I am also a part time Sheriff's Deputy. This policy (for this civilian job) still applies to me which I personally find strange.

(If anyone wants the Powerpoint to critique I'll be glad to post it)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    How about rewriting the provision to “Firearms are prohibited except for Law Enforcement and lawfully permitted concealed carry permit holders”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Team140 View Post
    Item #2 is also out the door (if it comes down to splitting hairs) since we don't own the building, property or parking lot where we do business...
    Sorry, it matters not, whether your company actually owns the building, property or parking lot. They [the company] obviously have a lease on the premises and hence, are in control of what takes place on it. Just as you yourself would be in control of any property which you leased but did not own.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Sorry, it matters not, whether your company actually owns the building, property or parking lot. They [the company] obviously have a lease on the premises and hence, are in control of what takes place on it. Just as you yourself would be in control of any property which you leased but did not own.
    Item #2 was brought to my attention by the CEO. They've had to split hairs before on similar stuff. The parking lot is a public parking lot.

The claim about the building - according to the CEO - needs to be approved and include both the company and the leasing company.

Like I said, I don't write them, just passing on the text and what was relayed to me.

POLICY:
    <business name> will maintain and enforce the state law of TN as it applies to prohibition of weapons in the workplace and on <business name> property, and while conducting <business name> business in a facility or customer’s home.

This gives you a defense of, we followed the state law. Companies do not have to add their own trumped up version of the law, just note that you will follow the current law of your state. If TN said the person, based on a criteria, (part time LEO or CHL or whatever) could carry their weapon then you don't have to create a policy to stop them.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by HRnTX View Post
    POLICY:
    <business name> will maintain and enforce the state law of TN as it applies to prohibition of weapons in the workplace and on <business name> property, and while conducting <business name> business in a facility or customer’s home.

This gives you a defense of, we followed the state law. Companies do not have to add their own trumped up version of the law, just note that you will follow the current law of your state. If TN said the person, based on a criteria, (part time LEO or CHL or whatever) could carry their weapon then you don't have to create a policy to stop them.
    That makes a lot of sense.

POLICY:

Very nice! Simple and to the point.

You might also reference "...prohibition of illegal weapons..."

A properly licensed & armed CCW employee is not in possession of an illegal weapon, correct?
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

"1. Forbidden (banned) weapons include but are not limited to guns and/or knives, for which the intent of the item is to cause bodily harm to a person."

Do not get in trouble but,

It is not your intention to cause bodily harm, but rather to protect your self.

VIP Member

Lightbulb

Some public State and local building in VA post:

"Illegal weapons prohibited"

That way it is up to the knowledge of the carrier and every change of State law doesn't require a rewrite.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Please keep us (me) posted on this. I'd like to know how it turns out. PM me if you would rather.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

POLICY:

That's the best idea I've seen. I was looking for something like that, but HRnTX pretty much covered it.
    I was researching the Colorado statutes the other day, and came across a similar reference to being legal to carry a weapon, as permitted to carry in a certain location. Legal to carry includes the CWP holder.

One more thing. In my last place of employment, the prohibition read: "Weapons as defined by law are prohibited on the premises." That left no wiggle room for a CWP holder.
    Last edited by elkhunter; February 11th, 2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: One more thing...
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Hey Team, you are a POST certified LEO? My friend, if I understand that correctly then federal law prohibits the company from prohibiting your carry. You are NEVER off duty and therefore are protected by federal law in your carry. For them to terminate you for carrying would be to violate federal law, which is generally frowned upon.

Now you still want to adjust the policy for all the other CCW people at work, but you should be good. Unless I am misinformed, which is certainly possible.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Hey Team, you are a POST certified LEO?
    Unfortunately, not yet. I've been tied to the SO's SAR unit for a while and I've decided to go forth and get certified this spring for full time duty.

Of course, by the time I'm certified I'll be full time SO and won't be working here anymore so the policy issue will be a moot point. BUT, I'd like to keep options open for other CCW holders who work here.

I've submitted a revised policy to the committee. I'm not sure when they officially meet, but I'll keep the thread updated with the outcome.

Just an update...

I took the day off, but I did get an email from a co-worker that the management team had their weekly meeting and the subject was brought up. The ruling is apparently in my favor, but I will find out for sure tomorrow.

Knowing the policy writers, it will probably be rewritten to not necessarily exclude all weapons, but explicitly allow CCW holders to carry.

I'll post an update with what happened at the meeting tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links