Uncover or not?

This is a discussion on Uncover or not? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, when you get in your vehicle, do you uncover the weapon? Due to the fact that a lot of us are wearing untucked, long ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncover or not?

Uncover or not?

So, when you get in your vehicle, do you uncover the weapon? Due to the fact that a lot of us are wearing untucked, long shirts, we may be sitting on our shirts when we are in the car. I carry at about 3:30 and there is no way I can get my gun out if I leave my shirt over it.

Then again, the gun being exposed is not CC, but OC. In Nevada, I can carry a gun in my car provided it is not concealed by my person...that would be neither OC nor CC... unless I have a CC permit, then it can be concealed by my person... but then uncovering would not be concealed... but then it... bah...

Is that OC in my vehicle? What if it is an IWB... that is not legal OC according to the law. It must be in full view to be OC... but it isn't CC because it is exposed...anybody?

Somebody snatch me off this merry-go-round... I'm getting dizzy.

2. Remove Ads

OK well here goes. In SC you can have the weapon on you with a permit. You can have a weapon in the vehicle in a glove box or console. No permit required. I wear untucked shirts and wear the P11 OWB in a Side Guard Slide Holster. So, when I get in the van I take the gun and put it in the center console. I reholster when I have arrived at my destination.

Easy enough.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member
    While I do not uncover my weapon I do pull my cover garment from under the seatbelt to make the weapon more accessible. If I am going on a long trip I switch to a snubbie in a shoulder holster under an unbuttoned shirt.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I'd adjust the shirt to accommodate drawing while staying legal (covered so as to not by in plain view)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I carry a BUG in my truck because it's hard to get to my primary with seatbelts on. I like to have something I can get to quick, usually in between the seats with just the grip exposed, which I can cover up with a towel or tshirt. I have LEO friends who mount holsters in various places in their vehicles, but I like simple and cheap solutions.
    Join the NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Depends on the neighborhood, my ability to watch everybody, how quickly traffic is moving, my mood, etc. In the ghetto not on the freeway, you bet.

Can't speak for your definition of open/concealed. Not that it matters for me because open is legal and I have a license for concealed, but here in MI they went out of their way long ago to specify that a plainly visible firearm in a vehicle is still concealed. That was for a different law, but I would think would still apply.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I am a lefty!!!

All you righty's should just let your spouse drive.

The seatbelt very nicely creates a little space to get to a left side IWB pistol. I do have to lean my body to the right, but it is fairly quick.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I dont have this problem because I dont wear my seat belt. My wife yells at me all the time about it but with the seat belt on, its harder to get to my weapon @ 3 o'clock.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    I carry IWB and when I get in and buckle up, I pull my cover garment clear of the seatbelt so my weapon is accessible but not necessarily visible.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have a car that has a tall center arm rest / console. I normaly uncover my pistol and with the black interior and the fact that the coonsole is so tall you can't see it. P.S. in Michigan to have a loaded pistol in your vehicle you must have a CCW.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    While I do not uncover my weapon I do pull my cover garment from under the seatbelt to make the weapon more accessible. If I am going on a long trip I switch to a snubbie in a shoulder holster under an unbuttoned shirt.
    Ditto

Also, in warm weather I have a holster that attachs to the seat between my leg. I know others that have a holster fixed between the center console and the drivers seat, and a friend that keeps a cross-draw paddle in the car to switch to.

Can't speak for your definition of open/concealed. Not an issue for me because open is legal and I have a license for concealed.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I dont have this problem because I dont wear my seat belt. My wife yells at me all the time about it but with the seat belt on, its harder to get to my weapon @ 3 o'clock.
    You have a smart wife.

Utah CODES Laws and Recommendations Page

Utah law requires all motor vehicle occupants to be wearing a seatbelt when traveling in a motor vehicle. The purpose of this law is to protect Utahns from needless death and injury and reduce taxpayer costs resulting from traffic collisions.

I just get in the car, put seat belt on, turn car on, put in drive, and drive away.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    You have a smart wife.
    Thanks nutz. BTW, did she PM you to post the Utah driving laws?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamWallace View Post
    So, when you get in your vehicle, do you uncover the weapon? Due to the fact that a lot of us are wearing untucked, long shirts, we may be sitting on our shirts when we are in the car. I carry at about 3:30 and there is no way I can get my gun out if I leave my shirt over it.
    I have the same issue. I generally pull my cover from under the seatbelt, and generally expose my grip. I don't consider it open carry, because if a person wants to see it they would have to smash their face between my center console armrest and my hip. My wife who sits next to me cannot see that it is slightly uncovered. Then when I arrive to my destination, I make sure I cover again. The fewer times I have to handle my gun the better in my opinion. Taking it out of the console to re-holster has a greater chance of being seen than pulling up my cover a bit to make my pistol accessible to me.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links