Bank Employees Does your company have a carry or weapons policy?

This is a discussion on Bank Employees Does your company have a carry or weapons policy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am considering employment with a bank p/t and I am wondering what banks have in place for a carry policy etc. I'm willing to bet ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am considering employment with a bank p/t and I am wondering what banks have in place for a carry policy etc. I'm willing to bet every single major bank doesn't allow it.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I am not currently a bank employee but have been within the past five years. Most def. we could not carry any firearm or other weapon for that matter while working. It's the standard across the board with all banks I know of(not to say there arent that allow it). Might be wise to accept the position with the current economic climate.

I am probably going to accept it. I assumed that no company would allow it, just wanted to ask to find out for sure :(.

Thanks for your input. This job is p/t in addition to my f/t job. 7 days a week ftl. :/

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I worked at a bank once, and they had a no guns policy. But back then, all I thought was "Why would anyone want to bring a gun to work?"
    Throw nature out with a pitchfork
    And yet she will return

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Who knows why, but I suspect that the managers do not want the bank employees getting into a shootout with robbers. It may be a good policy as employees and customers might be shot in the crossfire.

There may be instances to the contrary, but I have not heard of bank robbers going into a bank and shooting it up.

Regards,
    Jerry

Most incidents of shootings inside banks , especially in the "good old days" were where a bank guard started the gunfight.

• Money is covered by Federal Insurance.
    • Most bank robbers get caught, so many LEAs involved.

Bottom line: not worth getting anybody, employee or customer, hurt.

I respect this philosophy and take my piece off and put in gun safe in trunk when I enter bank.

Liquor stores and 711s are another matter. Lower class of robber and they tend to shoot clerks just for the fun of it!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I currently work at a bank. Our employee policy is that no guns or weapons are to be carried on company property. It makes sense. The money is insured and the robbers arent looking to stick around. Good luck with the new job.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSMART View Post
    I currently work at a bank. Our employee policy is that no guns or weapons are to be carried on company property. It makes sense. The money is insured and the robbers arent looking to stick around. Good luck with the new job.
    Geeee--------I wonder if the 5 or 6 people that were killed in Norfolk, NE at----yes-----A bank, were all thinking "it couldn't happen here" and they were not resisting.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

not to many companies that allow ccw in place of employment. thats to bad.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Personally, I think ALL tellers should be armed.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Me too! Since I am one now lol. I start next week! 70 hrs a week for ftl.

J

As a consultant to several banks, I've found a broad spectrum of policy. Some prohibit all carry. Some prohibit customer carry but allow employee carry, and some allow any carry. One of my clients encouraged carry. The Chairman (and his wife) carried as well as some officers, as well as the armed guard on duty. I loved them!

I teller at a bank part time to help pay for school. It has a no-weapons policy basically stating that we can't have firearms or "other dangerous weapons of any type" on us while on the clock, noting that a permit to carry is not an exemption from the policy. This isn't cool, but the job pays well and they work around my schedule. Generally there aren't any metal detectors and concealed is concealed, no? It really depends on how much of a risk you're willing to take.

On some of the points already discussed: we're taught to give the robber whatever he wants (including marked money) while trying to set off the alarm. Unfortunately, alarms and bait money won't stop you from getting shot...

I work the drive-through at my bank; therefore, I have a barrier between customers and I. I can also see the lobby from where I stand and have an exit nearby that doesn't go through the lobby. I figure that if there's ever a robbery (I keep a pretty good eye on the lobby) I can just walk away.

Good luck!
    Last edited by rudy; February 24th, 2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: deleted some stuff...

Thanks. I'm kind of nervous, but that comes with any new job.

Any tips? I just hope I learn the computer system quickly.

J

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    • Money is covered by Federal Insurance.
    • Most bank robbers get caught, so many LEAs involved.

And here is the definition of why we have bank robberies.

If the SOB's were to be at risk of getting shot during the attempt, they may not risk it so often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links