Dress and a CCW - Page 3

Dress and a CCW

This is a discussion on Dress and a CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Patti I read the title of the thread ( Dress and a CCW ) and thought you were needing advice when wearing ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dress and a CCW

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    I read the title of the thread (Dress and a CCW) and thought you were needing advice when wearing a dress.
    I am soooooo glad I am not the only smart aleck around here. Well played, Madam.

I just got my Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe in the mail today. All I can say is WOW! Out of the package it is comfortable, and my Kimber Ultra CDP II simply disappears. The service I got from Mark was top notch as well. I love my new SuperTuck!

P.S. I am not Mark's mother, squeeze, or pastor - just a satisfied customer. Really.

MadMac

I have to dress in a suit or business casual every day, and I carry every day. Have for over 20 years . . .

With a jacket, you can conceal any 1911 relatively easily. A Govt. or Commander with a full grip may print a bit, but an Officer's model or similar is easy to hide (my preferred carry gun). I always use an OWB holster, as I don't find IWB comfortable, but that's personal preference.

Without a jackt, I use a SmartCarry and my gun is a Kahr PM40 (they didn't have the PM45 when I bought it). This gun absolutely disappears with the SmartCarry, and is reasonably accessible, compared to most tuckables.

I have tried and own tuckables, but don't find them comfortable (again, this is personal preference). I use them very rarely.

As far as shoulder holsters, a vertical (front-break) holster is easier to conceal with than a horizontal holster. I have a Miami Classic, and it prints badly in back even with my gun's short 3.5 inch barrell. I used to use a Bianchi front-break holster with my Taurus PT-99 (a bigger gun), and it concealed very well and was easy to draw from.

I also have a 511 holster shirt, which is comfortable and conceals my Kahr fairly well. It prints enough with just a shirt that some people would notice it. It does not conceal my 1911, and isn't a comfortable way for me to carry a gun of that size.

By the way, I am just about your size -- 6'0", 185#, 34 inch waist. So, I would think my experiences will be similar to what you will deal with. Good luck.

C Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    If I tried a tuckable and someone asked "what are those for?" I'd hate to lie and what could you say they are? To me that draws attention to me and the fact that my answer is evasive makes it all the more attention and I don't want that!
    Some kind of medical device. Heart monitor, insulin pump. Heck, if your worried about looking evasive tell them its for a catheter bag.

If a single clip or snap, put a key ring on it with one or 2 old keys on it. Hidden in plain sight!

Whisky19

If you are dressing in suits or sport jackets you have two viable options. First, have your cloths tailored to work with your selected carry gun the way most detectives do. See, e.g., this article from the NY Times about how the dandies in the New York City Police Department do it. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/ny...etectives.html

The other way to do it is what I am planning on since I do not want to have all of my suits re-tailored; I am planning to carry my Kahr PM9 in a thin pocket holster

Alot of good info here...

When I read the OP I knew that this crew would give real good advise, and they have. I would only add that you might want to reconsider the purchase of a shoulder holster. It stands a very good chance of ending up in the proverbial holster box. They have their place but for most people they just don't work as well in practice as they do in our thoughts. Consider when you draw the weapon under stress. You will be sweeping your left arm, anyone and anything on your weak side all the way to the front or wherever the threat is. It takes alot of practice and constant training. Also they can get hot and uncomfortable. Won't do you any good if it's sitting in the holster box. If your EDC is always at 3:30 then you will not have to remember where you are wearing it today because it's always at 3:30.

It was VERY good advice. Gotta love the InterTubes - always a "go-to" group for important issues. Thanks, folks.

I am currently test-driving my Crossbreed SuperTuck holding my Kimber Ultra CDP II at my 3:30 - looks like a winner.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links