Do you let LEO's know? (Merged)

This is a discussion on Do you let LEO's know? (Merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ncglock My experiences have always turned out better once the LEO knows your legal. I'm not 100% sure but i'm willing to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you let LEO's know? (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by ncglock View Post
    My experiences have always turned out better once the LEO knows your legal. I'm not 100% sure but i'm willing to bet I was given a "warning" instead of a ticket because of my permit when I was pulled over recently.
    Depends on where you are located. In Kalifornia, I would not notify. In Idaho where I have a cabin I probably would.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears!

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    I always do, even if not mandatory, as a matter of courtesy; it has been a good experience ... so far.
    In some states it is mandatory, in Florida it is not, your choice ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

+1 to what jfl just said.

It is NOT required in FL.
    However, as a matter of courtesy, the only time I was stopped, I did give the LEO my DL and my CWFL. He was polite and professional. Gave them back to me and sent me on my way.

Your call. People will argue both ways. The laws in FL don't require it.

BTW, welcome to the site, from the Space Coast.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

try this

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneco View Post
    I've (quickly) reviewed the handgunlaw.us website, and now I'm totally confused about the notification laws..... Am I missing the proper tab that defines the notification states? Is there somewhere else to get the info? Am I Internet impaired?
    On the main page of handgunlaw, click on a state on the map. I clicked on FL and got to a page which, at top center, states "Must info officer: NO".

Here are the states which require one to notify LEOs if you are carrying:

There are only 11 states that have that requirement.

1. Arkansas
    2. Louisiana
    3. Michigan
    4. Nebraska
    5. North Carolina
    6. Ohio
    7. Oklahoma
    8. South Carolina
    9. Texas
    10. Utah
    11. Alaska

If I'm not required to, I don't.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
    There are only 11 states that have that requirement.
    Not Utah
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears!

VIP Member
    I would hand over both my DL and permit even though it's not required. I hate surprises and I remember when I was a LEO how finding an unsuspected gun made me react!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Maybejim View Post
    Interesting. Any Utah people want to clarify for us?

http://www.madfi.org/utah/Utah_FIREA...NSTRUCTORS.pdf

The requirement to identify yourself to a police officer as a CCW permit holder
    in possession of a handgun is covered in Public Safety Rule #722-300-12.
    “When a concealed firearm permit holder or certificate of qualification holder is stopped for
    questioning by a peace officer based on reasonable suspicion in accordance with Section 77-7-15 and
    the holder has a concealed firearm in his/her possession, the holder shall immediately advise the peace
    officer that he/she is a lawful holder and has a concealed firearm in his/her possession.”
    R722. Public Safety, Criminal Investigations and Technical Services, Criminal Identification. Table of Contents.
    rule 300-12 appears to be gone.

Maybe you used to have to notify, but not now?
    Last edited by kimberland; February 13th, 2009 at 12:53 AM.

I have notified before, but I will no longer. That is unless im in one of the few states that require it.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

In the event of a traffic stop with a LEO I would rather play it "safe" and advise the officer that I have a weapon in my vehicle.

I would then advise the LEO that I am a licensed CCW holder in advance. The last thing I want to do is give the LEO a reason to distrust me under the circumstances. I would hope that this would put the LEO to some degree to some degree. Not telling LEO that there is a weapon that is involved at that moment seems to be not the wisest course of action.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    can anyone give a GOOD reason to NOT disclose?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

In the state of Florida, you are not required to inform a LEO unless he asks. There are other states where you are required to inform. If you are traveling to another state and are pulled over, I would suggest that you inform the LEO by giving him your CCW along with your DL. That way, you cover all bases.
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

I also feel it's in my best interests to let the LEO know - required or not. Plus, in NC , there is a notification requirement. I don't want to memorize each state's more minor ccw requirements as I travel frequently. Avoiding surprises and showing transparency are interpersonal tactics that have worked for me in the past when I have encountered LEOs.

I have had LEOs void traffic citations when seeing my old USAF jacket, or seeing my military ID in my wallet. I have ended a couple such unplanned meetings with both of us laughing. I want them to trust me and see me as a "good guy" who may have been rolling just a bit fast between gigs as opposed to some hillbilly militia wannabe.

When I was learning to drive, I was once cut off at a four-way stop sign. I complained to my father that I was in the right. Why did I need to let the other guy go ahead? Daddy Mac said, "Son, you can be right, and be dead right." I think that lesson applies here.

I watched that Daniel Sayer LEO stop on YouTube yesterday. Although the guy was obviously within his rights, and the LEOs were small-town jerks, he was overly defensive and agitated during the entire encouter. I don't want people around me with loaded guns (me included), who are aggressive, twitchy, and aggravated like high school guys showing off for the prom queen. My wife calls it the male "rooster mode".

The key in any such situation is to get what you want out of the encounter. For MadMac, that includes peacefully walking away, and preferably without a citation or a side trip to police HQ. One of my tactics is to be transparent and friendly. That's just how I roll.

YMMV.

If I am in a situation which requires me to notify, I will do exactly that. Otherwise, it depends upon the circumstances. I hate surprises, and assume that I'm not the only one. As far as I'm concerned, it's a matter of courtesy and consideration.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links