Do you let LEO's know? (Merged)

This is a discussion on Do you let LEO's know? (Merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sigmanluke can anyone give a GOOD reason to NOT disclose? Liberty. Our rights have been whittled down to the point that the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you let LEO's know? (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    can anyone give a GOOD reason to NOT disclose?
    Liberty.

Our rights have been whittled down to the point that the Founding Fathers would not even recognise this country. If your state "ALLOWS" you to be armed in the presence of its law enforcement officers without telling them, don't tell them. It is your business as a law abiding citizen to be armed. Feel free to travel within the borders of that state while armed without blabing about it everytime you forget to signal or buckle up.

2. Remove Ads

mkh
    No requirement to inform in Florida.

But depending on the situation it is probably a good idea to inform the officer for your safety as well as his.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Every state is different...you've heard that enough from the previous posts that you should have that part down by now.

IMAO it comes down to common sense. What is the common sense in the situation? If I get pulled over for speeding or something I am going to need to get my wallet for my ID. Since it is in my left front pocket and I have my EDC at 9 o'clock, that could present an officer with a perceived threat. So I would always inform politely and respectfully. When he asks for DL and reg, I would say "Yes sir. I have a CCW and am carrying on my left hip. My wallet is in my left front pocket. May I get it for you?" That communicates respect and caution and will put most police officers at ease.

On the other hand, If I were just talking to an officer for something else I probably would not notify, especially if there are other people around who would not need to know or who would be uncomfortable. No need to spread it around unless the officer specifically asked!

In AZ we must only inform if asked by LEO.

I have several LEO friends who all know, naturally. And they advise courtesy and respect. IMAO that is always the right answer regardless of the circumstances.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    can anyone give a GOOD reason to NOT disclose?

hmm they run your name NCIS gives back a wrong report. your cuffed stuffed in the back of a car and arrested for being a felon in possession of a firearm. You sit in jail for 5 hours before anyone realizes the mistake.

Happened to my brother, didnt travel as far as the jail. But he was in cuffs for over an hour. He will never inform again because of this. Felony stops are not fun.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
    Here are the states which require one to notify LEOs if you are carrying:

There are only 11 states that have that requirement.

1. Arkansas
    2. Louisiana
    3. Michigan
    4. Nebraska
    5. North Carolina
    6. Ohio
    7. Oklahoma
    8. South Carolina
    9. Texas
    10. Utah
    11. Alaska
    Texas does not require that you notify an LEO that you're carrying a concealed firearm. The law requires CHL holders only that they show the CHL license if you possess a concealed handgun and are asked for identification. There is no law in Texas that requires you to specifically reveal that you're in fact carrying a concealed handgun. Non-CHL holders carrying a concealed handgun in their car have no obligation to notify at all.

Actually revealing that fact could get you arrested and charged with a third degree felony as Blinn79 reported today.

Posted: Fri Feb 13th, 2009 03:01 am
    I was arrested for "carrying a prohibited weapon, in a prohibited place" which is a 3rd degree felony in Texas.

I was riding in a crew cab truck with some friends, and they pulled over into a large parking lot off the road to try to find a lighter he had dropped on the floor board of his truck. Well once he stopped we all got out to try to find his lighter since two of the passengers were smokers (cigs not the other stuff) and were having nicotine fits.

While standing here in this dark parking lot around this truck, a Pct. 4 Harris County Constable drove by and took notice of us. He decided to pull into the parking lot and see what we were up to.

He asked what we were doing and we explained and he asked to see ID's from all of us. Well since I was carrying my Glock 23 on me, I gave him my D.L. and my C.H.L. as required by law.

He went to his car to run our ID's and I am sure check for warrants. Well after about 8 to 10 minutes, 2 other police vehicles showed up. He returned to me and asked me to turn around a place my hands on the truck. He then removed my handgun off me, and told me "do you realize this is a school parking lot?". In which I replied "no I did not, but I do not see how that is relevant". He then replied "your carrying a handgun on school grounds". I replied "I understand that, but school premises does not apply to a parking lot for a conceal handgun license holder".

He then laughed at me and told me "I think I know the law better then you". In which I said "well in all respect sir, I am T.C.L.E.O.S.E. (Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education) certified just like you, as I graduated from H.C.C. Police Academy and past my TCLEOSE test. I am also a Criminal Justice major and I am very much aware of my rights and what the law says. Maybe you are mistaken, and we can look it up in your Texas Penal Code book."

He laughed at me again, and hand cuffed me, then placed me in the back of his cruiser. I was taken to Cypresswood Pct. 4 holding cell, and then later transferred by bus to downtown Harris County Jail. I had to post a $5,000 bail and then immediately headed for home where I grabbed my Texas Penal Code book from when I was in the police academy.

After a little research I found Texas Penal Code 46.035, "carrying a prohibited weapon in a prohibited place by a CHL holder". See they were trying to charge me with a separate crime, that did not and COULD NOT be charged to me, because I am in fact a "CHL holder".

Now low and behold at the end of the statue it says in big print and I quote:

3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a
    building. The term does not include any public or private driveway,
    street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other
    parking area.

So armed with this new found knowledge I went into court my first day (with no attorney) and asked to speak to the district attorney who was in charge of prosecuting me in my case. I tried to show her my penal code book and ask her about the statue, in which she replied very much like the officer with "I went to law school. I am quite aware of what the law says", and blew me off.

When the session started she even told the judge "the prosecution is ready to proceed" which in my book means she had read over the case, and felt she had a firm case here.

Well the judge asked me where my attorney was, and when I told him I did not have one, he quickly advised me to be quite and said we would reset the court date until I could find counsel. I tried to explain to him I did not need a attorney and he again warned me of how serious of a matter this is. I ended up having to say "well I know I have a right to represent myself, so if that is what needs to be done for me to be able to speak, then I will take that right". At that point I am assuming he took me more serious and asked me what it was I wanted to show him.

He looked at my penal code book and read the high lighted section I quoted above. Then closed the book and looked at the front cover. It was a 2 yr old edition, so he asked the district attorney to see her copy of the penal code (a newer copy). He checked in her copy to make sure the law had not been revised in the last two years, then asked the D.A., "can you explain this" in which time she was happy to look at the statue for him.

Well after reading it, she kind of stood there dumb founded and quite. The judge called a five minute recess and told the D.A. he wanted to speak to her in his chambers. Five minutes later they returned and he said "having looked at this new found situation, the case is dismissed".

Now since this is already running long, I will skip quite a few steps and say it was not over there. My Glock was taken as "evidence" for my case. I was told I couldn't have it back by Pct. 4 Constables (where it was locked up in their evidence room) because the D.A. had to sign off on something, even though I had paperwork showing the case was dismissed.

Later a friend's wife, who works downtown in that same criminal court building spoke with the officer for that court room, who spoke with that D.A., who told him to relay the message back down to me that and I quote "hell will freeze over before he gets that handgun back".

Fast forward a year later, and many, many calls later, and leaving about 50 voice mails on the Corporal who was in charge of the evidence room, he called me back and told me I could have my pistol back if I promised to stop calling him. I went up there, signed some piece of paper saying I got the pistol back, and he brought it out to me. I don't know if he just figured the D.A. would surely have forgot about it since it was a year later, or what, but on that day, hell must have froze over.

Also I thought that was the end of that whole ordeal (this happened in March of 2006), and now that I have finished my degree in Criminal Justice, and am trying to go into law enforcement, I have now found out that most departments won't look at me because I was CHARGED with a felony. Yup, that is correct. I have been told that I will probably have to go spend $1,000 to a attorney to go to court and try to get that event expunged of my record.

So all in all, this "know it all" officer who was obviously not very knowledgeable of the law, cost me thousands of dollars, a couple days in jail, and possibly my future career in law enforcement.
    Confess at your own peril.

In my state you have to if they are on duty or in uniform. Off duty is not a issue.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    hmm they run your name NCIS gives back a wrong report. your cuffed stuffed in the back of a car and arrested for being a felon in possession of a firearm. You sit in jail for 5 hours before anyone realizes the mistake.

Happened to my brother, didnt travel as far as the jail. But he was in cuffs for over an hour. He will never inform again because of this. Felony stops are not fun.
    Wouldn't that have happened whether he informed or not? At least by having informed, you've earned some credibility.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Wouldn't that have happened whether he informed or not? At least by having informed, you've earned some credibility.

No if he had not informed he would heave been on his way in 2 mins.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

in Michigan, we have to immediately inform the LEO of our CPL status.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

There's always that wise guy cop who Thinks he knows the law and will not use common sense when he knows he may be wrong. Most LEO's are not like this (thank god). Sooner or later they will be weeded out due to one of their misdeeds being reported. Too bad they are not held accountable for screwing up someones life.

Quote Originally Posted by possessed View Post
    Required to inform in NC and SC and many other states.
    Bingo!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

thre way i read sc code it seemed only people with permits are required to inform iirc
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

I have been asked if I had a weapon once (guess they ran my license and knew I had a CCW) but I wasn't carrying at the time. If I got pulled over and I was carrying I would probably volunteer it, don't see any reason not to.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Here in Virginny it's not required to inform, but where it's required by state law to inform like NC, then I would, otherwise, I'm in a Don't Ask , Don't Tell mode. It's none of their business.

Also when stopped for some trafic infraction and then they ask if they can search my vehicle(they're on a fishing trip then) I respond by saying "Not Today" They can detain me and fetch a warrant and that's fine with me I'll sit and wait. I don't have any illegal stuff in my vehicle or on my person to be worried.
    "Hollow Points,-For Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

No requirement to tell here in TN, but when I took the class to get my permit they showed a video that basically illustrated a reason to tell a LEO immediately.

The video started out with a woman getting pulled over in a pick up truck. The LEO gets out of his vehicle and asks her for her license and registration. The woman says "sure, it's in the glove box" and leans over to get to the glove box, exposing a small J-frame revolver in a IWB holster on her hip. The LEO then pulls his service weapon and says "I see your weapon, step out of the vehicle!". He orders her to lay on the ground and the whole 9 yards... Until the whole thing is cleared up.

On the other hand, I've heard many reports of things going south very quickly after informing an officer that you have a CCP and a firearm on you.

I really don't know the right answer to this... Use your right not to tell (assuming that is your right in your state) and maybe get aquainted with the ground if the LEO finds out you're carrying, or tell him and maybe things go bad anyway... Hopefully, a common sense approach will be apparent when you're put in that situation, but if not, just hope you make the right choice.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links