Do you let LEO's know? (Merged)

This is a discussion on Do you let LEO's know? (Merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would always hand over both the DL and the CWP, better to show all your cards and not hide anything that for the officer ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you let LEO's know? (Merged)

I would always hand over both the DL and the CWP, better to show all your cards and not hide anything that for the officer to find out via radio and then you are being suspicious.

2. Remove Ads

Inform LEO or Not?

Here's a question that just came to mind about carrying a CCW while a passenger in a motor vehicle.
    Assume you are a passenger in a motor vehicle. The vehicle is being pulled by a LEO(s). What do (or should) you tell the LEO(s), if anything, that you have a weapon on your person & you are a valid CCW permit holder.
    I tend to think that I would air on the side of caution and advise the officer I am carrying a weapon & that I am a holder of a valid CCW permit. But I'm not 100% certain I want to volunteer this information at this point in time.
    The LEO(s) primary concern is the driver of the vehicle. What are your thoughts on this subject?
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Follow the rules of your state.

In Texas I will only disclose if I am asked, after asking for ID. If the officer has no beef with the passenger you will not likely be asked.

He will ask the questions, you will not likely get an opportunity to volunteer.

VIP Member
    do some searches on here for 'inform', 'inform when pulled over' etc, you'll find loads of threads on this topic
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    In Utah we are required to inform as a passenger who is carrying. As a non-carrying permit holding passenger there is no need to inform. As a driver we have to inform weather we are carrying or not.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I think that would depend on your state. If it is a must inform state, then you should, otherwise, I wouldn't unless asked.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I'm searching this forum for "inform LEO" for answers to this legal point.
    So far I've read the legal requirements for CCW holders in:

-Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States
    -Guidelines for Carrying Concealed Firearms in Nevada

The first publication makes no mention of the "inform LEO" question. The second book (98 pages) I've read cover to cover. I can't find a mention of "inform" laws there either. That's why I thought I would ask all of you.

I'm hoping that someone already has or will have the answer to this question. This is one mistake I don't want to make when my CCW permit arrives. Better to ask now!
    Thanks again for your replies!
    Glock 26

Update! I did some research on the "inform LEO" policy in Nevada. Here's the url for further information if need be:

Untitled Document

Here's the wording:
    Q: Must I Have the Permit With Me?
    A: When you carry a concealed firearm, you must also carry your permit and proper identification. You are required to produce both when requested by a peace officer.

Well, there you have it! I still think that I'm inclined to inform the LEO to avoid any legal issues all the same. The sooner the LEO knows I'm a "good guy" the more it should put the LEO at ease.
    Glock 26

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links