Got Made at the Temple Auction

This is a discussion on Got Made at the Temple Auction within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My synagogue’s annual fund raising auction was held last Saturday evening. The other volunteers and I had put in many hours setting it up and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Made at the Temple Auction

My synagogue’s annual fund raising auction was held last Saturday evening. The other volunteers and I had put in many hours setting it up and decorating for the “Winter Wonderland” theme so that our guests would enjoy themselves. The main “live” auction was held in our social hall while food service and a silent auction were in a large heated tent. We always hire an off duty LEO for security since large amounts of money changes hands (we gross $50,000) and to help control drunken behavior. Our open bar, designed to remove inhibitions and promote higher bidding, also leads some to misbehave.

Food and bar service was well under way, as was silent auction bidding. I hadn’t seen the LEO yet, so I approached the auction chairman, Ted, who was already in his seat for the live auction. He confirmed that a LEO had been hired this year, but then, as an afterthought asked “do you have your gun?” He said it kind of loudly, but not that many people had taken their seats yet, so not too many were within earshot. I stepped closer and told him that I was armed and identified in a whisper which of our members were also armed. I think my hand may have inadvertantly patted my pants over the Kahr MK9 in my pocket as I confirmed my carry status. I went and found the LEO sitting in his patrol car and encouraged him to come inside.

At the beginning of the live auction I took up my usual spot on a stool at the rear door, to check receipts and make sure that no auction merchandise is taken out of the room without being paid for. About 20 minutes in, a lady was leaving the room, either going to the restroom or the bar. She stopped and asked “who gave you the right to carry a gun?” I was shocked, of course and asked her to repeat her question. She did, and I had heard her correctly. I asked how she knew I had a gun. She said she had seen it, but I’m more inclined to believe that she saw and heard my exchange with Ted, or that someone else told her about it. I’m 95% sure I wasn’t printing. I calmly explained that the Constitution and laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia give me the right and govern what I have to do to be permitted to carry. She said I didn’t look like security. I assured her that I was not security and motioned to the cop standing behind me; “He’s security. I just check receipts.” I used the old spare tire analogy: “When you leave your house, do you expect to get a flat tire?” “No,” she replied. “But you carry a spare, don’t you?” She nodded. “Well, I don’t think it’s likely that I’m going to be the victim of armed violence on any given day either, but I carry a gun to be prepared.” “Well I don’t think you need it!” “Have you or any of your immediate family ever been robbed at gunpoint?” “No.” “Well, my daughter was, and it convinced me to start carrying a gun.” She walked away, hopefully with some understanding that it’s not only Neanderthals who carry guns.

Later in the evening, as she was leaving, she walked past me and exclaimed, “At least you didn’t have to shoot anyone tonight.” I replied “I wasn’t planning to shoot anyone tonight. Good night, thanks for coming.” I wanted to say “I was just waiting for you to get out of line!” Bottom line, I didn't win a new convert!

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    LoL. I chuckled.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Dude,

I know you didn't write this to funny, but I'm still chuckling. I can picture some blue-haired old hen giving you a whack with her handbag just for good measure.

Silence Dogood - nice nom de guerre, but I think it's been used before.

This is not to call into question anything you did or said to the woman, I just wanted to put some thoughts down. I think you handled the encounter just fine.

The woman made a valid point. She didn't think you would need your gun - if she though a gun would be required (i.e. robbery) she would not likely taken the chance of attending the auction. I would guess you didn't think you would need the gun either, or else you would have hired even more security. But you brought the gun in case of the very small chance you were wrong, as you should.

I drove around today feeling pretty confident I would not need my spare tire (or my gun), otherwise I would have stayed home. But I had my spare tire (and my gun), in the event I was wrong.

It is a low-probability, high-impact sort of thing. The probability of needing a gun is very, very low. The impact of not having one when you need it is very, very high - even potentially fatal. So a prudent person carries the best means of self-defense.

Actually, there is one point where I differ with what you said, and that is where you state that the Constitution and the laws of Commonwealth of Virginia give you the right to bear arms. That right was given to you by your Creator ("endowed by their Creator with certain Inalienable Rights"). The Second Amendment of the Constitution (and VA constitution/laws) simply outline that right as one to be protected. Nitpicky, and I've made the same mistake myself in conversation, but important.

Always liked:

"No Ma'am, if I thought I was going to need a gun, I would've brought a rifle."

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    In today's world I think it is absolutely necessary for some one to be armed in every Temple in the world. I'm surprised that one of the ROP's hasn't used one for target practice. Please stay alert and protect the innocent.

As we all know, you win some and you lose some. Let's just pray that she never has to find out the hard way why it is we do what we do. Hey you tried!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    I drove around today feeling pretty confident I would not need my spare tire (or my gun), otherwise I would have stayed home. But I had my spare tire (and my gun), in the event I was wrong.

It is a low-probability, high-impact sort of thing. The probability of needing a gun is very, very low. The impact of not having one when you need it is very, very high - even potentially fatal. So a prudent person carries the best means of self-defense.
    John,

I have driven a LOT of miles in my life. Probably many of us on this forum have. I rarely ever need my spare tire, jack, etc. But, I have needed them, on several occasions, actually.

1 was in my own driveway, when I came out in the morning to find my tire flat. On another occasion, many years ago, I was coming home from a date, and hit a nail. You know the rest. The most recent was a few years ago. On the way to pick up my wife from a family trip with her parents, I had a blowout at 75 mph on the Beachline from the E coast of FL to Orlando. Blinding rain, fierce thunderstorm. I had to change the tire on the toll road, in almost zero visibility. One of the most scared times in my life.

Bottom line, drive enough, sooner or later, we'll all need the tools in your trunk. Live long enough, sooner or later, you might well need the tool in your holster.

And, as you already said, the impact of not having the right tool(s) when you need it/them, could be dangerous, even fatal.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

One thing to watch out for is if the wrong person knows your carrying, they might out you if something happens. Could force you to play a hand that's stacked against you. I agree that the auction might be safe and I stress might, but getting to and from you would not have a security guard, so yes I would carry. Then too there have been quite a few Churches and Synagogue's attacked so I feel if your beliefs allow carry in your Temple I would.

For years before I got my CCW my brother-in-law would always carry to temple of the high holidays. If there is going to be a SHTF case if would be then. Sine I got my CCW I know at least there at two people carrying and our families feel better. Congrats on raising so much money for the temple. You did great all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    “do you have your gun?”
    Answer: "There are only a handful of ways to find out the answer to that question. Asking me is not one of them."

"If I thought I needed a gun, then I wouldn't be here. I carry it for those times when I am mistaken."

You had an open bar in a temple? That seems like a problem all by itself. I don't know....

Todd

Just because I carry a gun doesn't make me paranoid. I mean, hey, I've got a gun, why be paranoid?

Ted, who was already in his seat for the live auction. He confirmed that a LEO had been hired this year, but then, as an afterthought asked “do you have your gun?” He said it kind of loudly, but not that many people had taken their seats yet, so not too many were within earshot. I stepped closer and told him that I was armed and identified in a whisper which of our members were also armed.
    No offense intended, but I'm curious as to why you told "Ted" who else was armed. Maybe it's just me, but you got "caught". Why disclose who else was armed? Since I carry concealed, I would want it kept that way. Most of us go through great pains to remain "anonymous". I sure would not want someone disclosing to a third party that I was armed unless that someone had my permission to do so. And believe me, there would have to be very, very extenuating circumstances before I would give my permission.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links