Opinons on police dogs

Opinons on police dogs

This is a discussion on Opinons on police dogs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a call from my mother. She knows I just got my CCW this past week. I am joining a kennel club that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opinons on police dogs

I just got a call from my mother. She knows I just got my CCW this past week. I am joining a kennel club that she is a member of s we can go to dog shows together. I will hopefully be voted in to the club this coming Monday night. (strict membership requirements).
    The club is having some police search and rescue dogs there for a demonstration. She told me I should not carry my gun in case the dogs scent it. She said :What if the dog bites your leg because he can smell the gun?"
    I said a trained police dog should not do that unless told to do so.

So, do I carry or not?

If you are legal, yes. Why not?
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I just got a call from my mother. She knows I just got my CCW this past week. I am joining a kennel club that she is a member of s we can go to dog shows together. I will hopefully be voted in to the club this coming Monday night. (strict membership requirements).
    The club is having some police search and rescue dogs there for a demonstration. She told me I should not carry my gun in case the dogs scent it. She said :What if the dog bites your leg because he can smell the gun?"

So, do I carry or not?
    Why would a dog bite you if he smells a gun? He'd bite every cop if that was the case.

Police dogs don't attack at the smell of a gun, if they did the other police at the scene would be a target. Trained police dogs use commands and visual clues.

There are dogs that are trained to retrieve guns, HOWEVER the way they do it is they are taught the shape and look of a gun and if the officer suspects a gun has been tossed in the area he will pretend to throw a toy and the dog will search and retrieve a gun if its there thinking its his toy. They arent trained to smell for guns.

VIP Member
    as lnog as you're legal, you should excersize your right to carry. There is no reason not to.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Don't worry about it, carry if you want.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

So, do I carry or not?
    Don't worry, the dogs are trained to smell permits too. As long as you have both the dog won't bite you.
    Throw nature out with a pitchfork
    And yet she will return

There are LE K-9 that are trained to detect propellents and explosives, Such as ammunition.

However because of the high cost of replacing the K-9 if he bites the explosive, they are trained a passive indication, like to sit down.

So if they do have a explosive trained K-9 and he is given the command to sniff you. Which by the way is a big No-no and he sniffs your leg and then he sits down, your made...

It other words ...carry and don't worry about it.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Senior Moderator
    As long as you have both the dog won't bite you.
    I saw a police dog bite a cop right in the junk once. It was in fact, one of the funniest things I ever saw.

There were 7 or 8 cops standing around in a trailer park, right after a huge drug bust went down. So it's over and they cart everyone off, and the rest of the guys are standing in a circle just shooting the breeze. A K-9 unit pulls up and the cop and his dog exit and the cops joins in the circle. The dog just sits by his leg as he is taught to do,seeming to mind his own business. A another cop asks how his dog has been performing and he says "great, but there's a thing or two that he needs work on". Right about then the dog gets up, casually walks over to the cop that asked the question and he nips him right in the crotch, not a hard nip, but hard enough that the cop grabbed himself and dropped to his knees yelling and screaming bloody murder the whole time. We all stood there in shock, disbelieving what we saw,the dog casually walks over to his handler and sits down like nothing happened.

When it was apparent that there was no serious injury, other than pride, someone started laughing and within a few seconds we were all laughing hysterically.You cant imagine the jokes that spawned from that event. This happened at least 3 years ago, it is still talked about today.

That dog is still on patrol. For some unknown reason, the dog and the cop that got nipped never have warmed up to each other.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Yep like the others have said you should be fine. I know a local LEO and a now retired K-9, never had a problem with either one.
    I actually took the K-9 for a potty break when his handler/officer was tied up on duty. The dog was fine under my control and didn't give me a sniff test. They are usually very familar with the officer who "handles" them and react well with other members of society unless given certain commands by the handling officer.
    Take you weapon and leave the worries at home.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    If the dog starts to attack, you can always flash a CCW BADGE! .Once the dog has clearly identified you as a "good guy", you should be in the clear.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Senior Moderator
    What if the dog cant read?

Then what?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

So, do I carry or not?
    By your post and what I put in bold, I would say yes, carry. From what I've observed about police K9s, only patrol type dogs are trained to bite. Thats not to say a narcotics, bomb or search and rescue dog wont bite, just that they(as a single purpose dog) are not trained to bite work. Even with the dogs trained for bite work, I wouldn't be overly concerned about carrying, as in all likelihood, any dog that would be taken to a demo, is the least likely to bite anyone they are not told to bite, as demos are one way to show how a dog is in case they do bite. OMO. YMMV.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I saw a police dog bite a cop right in the junk once. It was in fact, one of the funniest things I ever saw...
    Isn't there body armor for that?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ...That dog is still on patrol. For some unknown reason, the dog and the cop that got nipped never have warmed up to each other.
    Duh???
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links