What about your Other half?

This is a discussion on What about your Other half? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think my wife is a 1.5. I would love to get her more interested and carry, but she hasn't showed any interest. And like ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What about your Other half?

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I think my wife is a 1.5. I would love to get her more interested and carry, but she hasn't showed any interest. And like someone else said, I am not into scrapbooking. She has went to the range and shot with me before, and watched a few matches I was in, but still can't even get her to consider CCW. She knew I was a gun nut when she married me, and her knowledge of guns she not the reason I married her, so I guess I am ok with that.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

Wife doesn't carry. Mainly just goes along with it.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

My wife is about a 3

She has her own guns & currently wants a Thunder Ranch 44. It makes it easier to sneak guns in.. But she also knows exactly what I have so I cant use that old line " Dear, I have had that for ages." This said about the last gun ya snuck in the house...

Take care & shoot safe.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

My wife carries as well, her .38spl model 60, and has been known to carry a bug. She isn't a gun nut but loves being married to one. She'll even remind me that its time for another firearm, should I forget.

Michael

My wife ( Lori) took the CCW class with me 2 years ago, has just applied for her license and wants a revolver. She shoots my pistols with me but prefers a revolver to carry when she does. She thinks I am funny with my obsession with guns and self preservation.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

My wife would probably be a 3....considering she was a .25 when we meet and almost didn’t go out with me because of my “reputation” as always carrying and being ready, willing and able to use it. She transitioned through being OK with my carrying, to glad I carried to now having her own CCW. She loves going out to shoot with me and is currently carrying my Grendel P-10 .380 but doesn’t feel real comfortable with an auto so I am probably going to get her a S&W air weight Bodyguard with Crimson Trace grips for valentines day….hey, it will last longer than a dozen roses and truly says “I love you”.

My wife and I have been married for 45 years and she is not now, nor has she ever been, a fan of guns. Before she retired she was, for many years, an emergency room nurse and, quite often, had to deal with gunshot wounds. Make no mistake that this has really colored her attitude toward guns and what a gun can do.

Even with her attitude toward guns she has never said a word about my gun hobby/habit; never said a word or gave me a hard time when I bought a new gun; never said a word when I trained all our kids to shoot; never said a word about my carrying concealed other than she has been supportive of that. She has always liked the idea that she, the kids, and now the grandkids, are well protected.

She has insited on only one thing. Guns are always locked up in the house unless it is the one I am carrying!

I mention this to all you guys that feel that your wife has to accept or participate in your gun sport for things to go well in your marriage. Not necessarily so. Just don't draw lines, build walls, or stonewall each other. Most married people that I know don't agree on everything in their marriage.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

My wife (and I) just got her carry license last week, so we'll see if she carries or not. My guess is she will.

Her main interest in shooting, though, is sporting clays with her 28 ga SXS, thanks to an *ahem* certain member of this and other forums.

My wife currently rates the #2 choice here. Twasn't always thus! When we first met she knew I was serious when: First "Date" was to my Church and the 2nd was to the range!

She used to go out with me to our club and shoot even if it was targets and not tactical. She's not into: draw from cover, seek cover, shoot on the move, et al. But she would also go to gun shows with me. We've been married almost 18 years now and she hasn't so much as actually fired one in about fourteen years. She "claims" that one shoot I barked at her in front of everybody over a safety issue and she's no longer comfortable with the group. The sounds suspiciously like Not tonight I have a headache... to me.

Still, she supports my activities and she allows me to get a new gun once in awhile. But I remember those heady days when for our first anniversary she bought me a rifle and for our 2nd she bought me a Dillion Square Deal "B" and our 3rd I got the Banana Republic Vest...and on and on.... ~sigh~

She did go to our annual picnic and fun match last weekend, but she refused to shoot, although she promised me she would....

I had to make a deal with her right up fron when I swapped schools last year. I got a 20% pay raise to move deeper into the inner city. I said I'd do this for the family...but I wanted a new gun and that's IT! She said, sure, but we have to save for it from your new bonus money. That was doable, so I got the H&K USP last month. Now I'm saving for the accessories. Sorry to rant folks, but this thread struck a nerve....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    My wife use to shoot and use to have a CCL, but she never renewed it. Oh well guess I get my Glock 19 back.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

My wife is a #3. I wish she would carry more on her person, but at lest she has her permit. I have gotten her in the habit of at least taking her Ruger, and leaving it in the car.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Ashcraft
    sporting clays with her 28 ga SXS, thanks to an *ahem* certain member of this and other forums.
    Hahaha - well now, wonder who that might be Larry <cough>
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

What other half ???

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    My girlfriend who I guess would qualify as my current significant other doesn't really like my interest in them, but she tolerates it well enough.

I've had her to the range once, and while we only shot for about 10 minutes before she decided it was time to go, that's a huge improvement over what she would have done in the past.

She had a family member who was killed in a ND / AD, and she's not comfortable with the thought that she has the power to kill someone in her hand. But she's been to the range, where when I first met her, she wouldn't even come into the room if there was a weapon in sight.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Mine is a 1...no problems, but has no real interest in them

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links