Well I just got done with my Utah concealed firearm permit class

This is a discussion on Well I just got done with my Utah concealed firearm permit class within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took the class this morning after my dad called and said get up and get here now cause we are doin it. Putting my application ...

Thread: Well I just got done with my Utah concealed firearm permit class

Well I just got done with my Utah concealed firearm permit class

Took the class this morning after my dad called and said get up and get here now cause we are doin it. Putting my application in the mail now. My instructor was pretty good and had some good stories. Soon there will be another "good guy gun" out on the streets to protect my family and the innosent

2. Remove Ads

congrats. no come the wait. be patient.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

I'm signed up for a class in March for my Utah non resident CCW. I can't wait. It'll add 8 states to the 25 that already recognize my Virginia permit.

VIP Member
    Well done Dustin. After you get Utah, start to pad your "resume" with some non-res permits.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 View Post
    Took the class this morning after my dad called and said get up and get here now cause we are doin it. Putting my application in the mail now. My instructor was pretty good and had some good stories. Soon there will be another "good guy gun" out on the streets to protect my family and the innosent
    Good to hear it.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    I'm signed up for a class in March for my Utah non resident CCW. I can't wait. It'll add 8 states to the 25 that already recognize my Virginia permit.
    I'd hurry. Looks like they're trying to get rid of nonresident permits.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

I just took the class this past Friday,paperwork is int the mail

I dont think I'll get too worried about non-resident stuff Utah covers 34 states and just about all the states I travel to are in there except cali. I heard that by law Utah has to have it back with-in 60 days?

Hi all.

I just signed on to this board since I just sent out my non-res for FL and VA. I live in NJ and it doesn't issue CCW unless your a cop or a celebrity that gets death threats or something....

anyway, I didn't have to take the CCW class since my wife and I already took the NRA basic pistol class and that certificate met the requirements for the applications.

Is there anything covered in a CCW specific class that I didn't get and would prove useful? From what I understand, the CCW class is meaant to verify that you are proficient in handling a firearm and all the safety rules.

I filled out the application at a gun show when I was down in MD, so the paperwork/fringerprints/photos cost $100 total for both. The class would've been another $50. I'm just wondering if it would be worthwhile to take a CCW class anyway is there is a lot of CCW related topics taught...

Thanks.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the class being done, and be ready for a long wait! There is no law that says they HAVE to have it o you in 60 days. I have a buddy who took the class and mailed in the paperwork the first week of December who has still not recieved his. (As of 2-14)
    From what I hear the average for Utah right now is between 10 and 12 weeks. They had a record number of applicants in December (I heard 8000!), and even more in January. When I talked to BCI in mid January, they told me they had issued a total of 141000 permits. 70000 resident and 71000 non-res. That's pretty good numbers.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I dont think I'll get too worried about non-resident stuff Utah covers 34 states and just about all the states I travel to are in there except cali. I heard that by law Utah has to have it back with-in 60 days?
    And they will use every single one, at least mine did.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Soon there will be another "good guy gun" out on the streets...
    "Soon" - don't count on that. It'll come, but not soon.

I put my Utah paperwork in the mail on Nov 3rd. They claimed they received it on Nov 25th. Twenty two days for first class delivery?

My permit was issued on Jan 15, 2009 and finally arrived Feb 6th. They said that it was lost in the mail, which added a week to the delivery time. But still Nov 3rd to Feb 6th was a long, slow wait.

I think sigmanluke's post was about right.

60 Day Waiting Period

Quote Originally Posted by Spike32 View Post
    And they will use every single one, at least mine did.
    According to the Utah state web site they process the CCW permit within 60 days. I'll find out for sure myself next payday. I'll be sending my Utah CCW permit request in myself! Hopefully it will arrive before my own state of Nevada CCW permit arrives. That one has a 120 day limit. Amazing!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

The guy that did our class told us that they are required to have it back within 60 days and I have the paperwprk from Utah atate saying that as well andthey are supposed to be right at 60 days supposedly. So that leaves me enough time to save some coin to get a good holster and start honing my situational awareness skills.

VIP Member
    My friend called BCI and they claimed they didn't receive his until Jan. 9th. (Mailed from less than 25 miles away on Dec. 6th) I do stand corrected though, they are required to send it to you within 60 days of RECEIVING it. Perhaps received means opened?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Links