Wow - made a guy in a gun store. My first!

This is a discussion on Wow - made a guy in a gun store. My first! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; somethings never change. I do not associate with people like that....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow - made a guy in a gun store. My first!

somethings never change. I do not associate with people like that.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Just curious but where in NC was this? I live in Mt Airy and types like that wouldn't be served here either!! I was at a new gun shop/range in WS awhile back and three obviously gangbangers ( at least they were dressed that way) came into the store and told the lady they needed some ammo. She told them she didn't feel comfortable selling them the ammo and she would not. They got very upset and started to raise their voice when she turned and showed them to 45 on her hip and two more large men, all OCing came out of the back and they decided to leave. They said " we'll just go to WalMart " . The lady explained how they had the right to not sell ammo to anyone they wish. She said the gangs are getting real bad in the city and if she sold them the ammo and found out the next day a innocent child was shot with the same caliber she would feel responsible. I don't see how she is responsible, but am glad they stood up to some of these punks!!
    IMHO, if I owned a gun shop and someone came in like that I would absolutely refuse service. Its just like a bartender should have the decency (and in some places legal obligation) to refuse serving an already intoxicated person. I'm all for the 2nd Amendment, but that doesnt mean there arent punks to whom I wish it didnt apply.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a real winner, glad to hear the store employee got rid of him. I've seen a few of this type in a local gunshop and the place doesn't do anything. I even asked why when one got mouthy to the guy at the counter and he said " business is business, I can't afford to lose any". I haven't been back to that one since. I guess he lost mine!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Wow, for a group of people that are so 2nd Ammendment, and don't want their rights infringed upon, The remarks from this thread quite frankly tick me off.
    He may very well have a permit, so what is the problem here? I am sure I can pick out about 50% of those on this board at the local WalMart. How? Simple, if you are looking for it, and know what you are looking for, Most people print in some way shape or form.

Before ou start your thoughts and comments, let me stop the prejudice of the people who have made these comments by saying I am a 32 YO white male who listens to Country music and talk radio, gets just as ticked as the next guy (probably more so) when I hear the thumping music, and can't stand to see young men walking around with their pants around their knees with underwear hanging out. By the same token, I don't like to see fat people in tight cloths or anybody wearing a fanny pack. I dress very conservertively, and never wore a shirt untucked until I started CCW.

So while you may not like the appearance of this young man, My time in the Army was served so heand you can dress however you desire.

On a Second note, I don't I would ever patronize I Gun store that won't let me exercise my right to carry or that will refuse service to someone based strictly on looks. As long as he has money, ID and passes the background check, who are we to judge.

I hope you all take a look at yourselves and decide whether you think rights belong to every citizen or just those that you like.

Roger

Chances are he probably doesnt even have his CCP and doesnt care who sees it
    Sig P220R .45ACP
    Taurus PT92 9mm
    Rem 870 12ga.
    Bushmaster M-4 .223/5.56
    HK P2000 9mm
    Glock 31 .357

The only real issue I had with the gentleman was the fact I was 90% sure he was carrying a loaded pistol into a "No Loaded Weapons" store. Fortunately, no one had to test my thesis.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    A great candidate for a gun donation to the local thug that jacks him for his gun
    It sounded to me like he was the local thug.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears!

He might be a nice guy but,

Looks like a DUCK
    Sounds like a DUCK
    Walks like a DUCK

Quack Quack Quack

Quote Originally Posted by itowbigtruck View Post
    Wow, for a group of people that are so 2nd Ammendment, and don't want their rights infringed upon, The remarks from this thread quite frankly tick me off.
    He may very well have a permit, so what is the problem here? I am sure I can pick out about 50% of those on this board at the local WalMart. How? Simple, if you are looking for it, and know what you are looking for, Most people print in some way shape or form.

Before ou start your thoughts and comments, let me stop the prejudice of the people who have made these comments by saying I am a 32 YO white male who listens to Country music and talk radio, gets just as ticked as the next guy (probably more so) when I hear the thumping music, and can't stand to see young men walking around with their pants around their knees with underwear hanging out. By the same token, I don't like to see fat people in tight cloths or anybody wearing a fanny pack. I dress very conservertively, and never wore a shirt untucked until I started CCW.

So while you may not like the appearance of this young man, My time in the Army was served so heand you can dress however you desire.

On a Second note, I don't I would ever patronize I Gun store that won't let me exercise my right to carry or that will refuse service to someone based strictly on looks. As long as he has money, ID and passes the background check, who are we to judge.

I hope you all take a look at yourselves and decide whether you think rights belong to every citizen or just those that you like.

Roger
    Excellent point. That said, it's always smart to profile the people around you regardless of what anyone says and it's the right of anyone who owns a business to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

Still, I like what you have to say and you are correct. Once we go down the path of saying who should and should not own guns based on the way they look, all the great work many in the pro 2A lobby have done will go down the drain. Even if someone fits the stereotype LOOK of a gangbanger, they deserve the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. Maybe the guy just likes the fashion...he could be a completely law-abiding citizen that lives in a rough 'hood and wants to provide for his own defense like any of us.

As far as the poster who talked about the duck...I've got an opinion on that. I live in the South, and despite my military upbringing and current service, have lived most of my life IN the South. I love all things southern, have a touch of an accent, wear NASCAR hats, and fiercely defend against people who stereotype southerners as ignorant and racist rubes.

If someone walked into a WalMart decked out in camo cabela gear, had a goatee and drove an F-150, and talked a bit slower than most, would you automatically assume he hates yankees and black people? How would you feel if someone said "well, he looks like a duck, walks like a duck, so he must be a duck?" I, for one, wouldn't like it one bit.

I'm not trying to be holier-than-thou nor difficult. It may be that the guy that was refused service WAS a gangbanger, but he at least should get the benefit of the doubt.

/rant off

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    Excellent point. That said, it's always smart to profile the people around you regardless of what anyone says and it's the right of anyone who owns a business to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

Still, I like what you have to say and you are correct. Once we go down the path of saying who should and should not own guns based on the way they look, all the great work many in the pro 2A lobby have done will go down the drain. Even if someone fits the stereotype LOOK of a gangbanger, they deserve the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. Maybe the guy just likes the fashion...he could be a completely law-abiding citizen that lives in a rough 'hood and wants to provide for his own defense like any of us.

As far as the poster who talked about the duck...I've got an opinion on that. I live in the South, and despite my military upbringing and current service, have lived most of my life IN the South. I love all things southern, have a touch of an accent, wear NASCAR hats, and fiercely defend against people who stereotype southerners as ignorant and racist rubes.

If someone walked into a WalMart decked out in camo cabela gear, had a goatee and drove an F-150, and talked a bit slower than most, would you automatically assume he hates yankees and black people? How would you feel if someone said "well, he looks like a duck, walks like a duck, so he must be a duck?" I, for one, wouldn't like it one bit.

I'm not trying to be holier-than-thou nor difficult. It may be that the guy that was refused service WAS a gangbanger, but he at least should get the benefit of the doubt.

/rant off
    Profiling someone as a southerner is a lot different than profiling them as a thug. I also lived in the south growing up. There is nothing illegal with being from the south. The lifestyle and habits are unique and strange to northerners, but there isnt anything inherintly wrong with it. Its just the way you were raised and you arent going out of your way to make an image that you are a southerner.
    On the otherhand, being a thug is something you have to try and look like. You are making a concious effort to look tough. It is because of that concious effort that the chances of someone who looks like a thug, not to be a thug are slim.

To add to the duck analogy, if it looks like a duck, it probably is a duck. Who cares? Its a duck. If it looks like a wolf, it probably is a wolf. Time to pay attention.

Upon refelection, here's another scenario. The guy gets out of his car (armed), enters the store, looks over to the owner, owner shakes head, guys leaves. I remember he did not go out to disarm and re-enter - he drove off.

Perhaps he had ordered an item earlier in the month, and was coming in to see if it had arrived. When the owner espies him coming through the door, he knows the question, shakes his head, the guy nods, leaves, and drives off.

VIP Member
    Quack Quack Quack. Too Funny.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    Profiling someone as a southerner is a lot different than profiling them as a thug. I also lived in the south growing up. There is nothing illegal with being from the south. The lifestyle and habits are unique and strange to northerners, but there isnt anything inherintly wrong with it. Its just the way you were raised and you arent going out of your way to make an image that you are a southerner.
    On the otherhand, being a thug is something you have to try and look like. You are making a concious effort to look tough. It is because of that concious effort that the chances of someone who looks like a thug, not to be a thug are slim.

To add to the duck analogy, if it looks like a duck, it probably is a duck. Who cares? Its a duck. If it looks like a wolf, it probably is a wolf. Time to pay attention.
    Look, I'm sure you and I agree on far more things than we disagree. I just want to point out what you and I often refer to as "thug-looking" is fashionable to large swath of people. To them, they don't have to try to "look thug," that's just how they dress. Just like "looking Southern" isn't a conscious effort to us, "looking thug" isn't a conscious effort to them.

The person in question may very well have been a law-abiding citizen like us, and that's the point the previous poster was trying to make. We, as pro-2A citizens, can't start making the determination as to who gets to carry based on how people look, walk, or talk. Everyone has the inherent right to bear arms until they prove otherwise.

just want to point out what you and I often refer to as "thug-looking" is fashionable to large swath of people.
    I'd say you run in a totally different crowd than I ever have.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears!

HOLGER;

I'm a middle aged 40something whiteman.

I have some Hispanic men that work for Me.
    and have some American Indian inlaws,and Africa American half sisters.
    My brother lives in the deepest darkest part of the South I've ever seen.(He does have some RED neck)

moral of the story

Hay did'nt ya'll get ripped off on the >500 today

Treat people with respect and you get respect back,all race, all kinds.

Act like a RICHARD and thats what you get.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links