Utah Permit Classes

This is a discussion on Utah Permit Classes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not really planning on taking the class since all of the states I currently visit honor my Va permit anyhow, but this came up ...

Thread: Utah Permit Classes

Utah Permit Classes

I'm not really planning on taking the class since all of the states I currently visit honor my Va permit anyhow, but this came up at this months Richmond Open Carry Dinner. I was sitting next to a guy who is a certified Utah Class instructor. He told my wife and I that there is a bill in the house, in Utah, that would require all Utah classes to be taught by Utah residents. Does anyone know if this is true or not? If true, it would seriously hinder the many concealed carriers that opt to get the non-resident permits ability to take the required class. They would either have to travel to Utah or pay an instructor to travel from Utah to the location the class was to be taught.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, there is a bill pending.

I have been a Utah instructor for a number of years and my certification recently expired. As of four years ago, you now have to go to Utah to renew the instructor certification. I have been putting that trip off until the outcome of this bill is known.

I am also a certified instructor for the state of Arizona. They require that all training for their permit be conducted within the state.

Randy

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    There has been controversy in Utah about the non-resident permit lately. The reason for this is so that the BCI can keep better track of their instructors and teaching methods. Utah knows how valuable their permit is and wants to keep it that way. I dont know about any certain bill in the House at the moment, but, that doesnt mean there isnt. It just doesnt affect me at this time.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I should have included a link to the bill in the previous post.

SB96

Randy

And the loss?

State Impact:
    Enactment of this bill will result in a loss of state revenue of $740,000 and a reduction of 5 FTEs beginning FY 2010.

Randy ...

The bill that directly affects out of state instructors is http://www.le.state.ut.us/~2009/htmd...htm/HB0204.htm. I can see that this bill could possibly pass.

Utah feels that their permit will have even more value if the education is better regulated and contained here in Utah. Utah has formal reciprocity with 17 states and if S.B.0096 is passed, this will require other states to inact a repeal of their reciprocity laws as well. S.B.0096 has a huge revenue impact. Anyone that knows Utah knows the significance this loss of revenue would have on the state. I'm not real confident that S.B.0096 has any better chance than it did last year. Last year the vote failed and claims were due to financial impact.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

That would leave us non-residents of Utah with only two alternatives:

1. Travel to Utah to take the course. Altogether not a bad idea. Make it part of a ski vacation maybe.
    2. Pay a Utah instructor's expenses to come to where your class will be held and split the expenses w/each class member.

I fortunately got my Utah non-res permit a year ago and renewals can be mailed in; no refresher training required; unless of course, Utah changes that too.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I live in Utah so I guess I'm good to go huh. That sucks if they pass it seems that the Ut permit is a really good one to have as it is good in 34 states.

It appears that the Utah S.B. 96 bill was defeated. If the senate site is accurate, looks like you're all good for another year.

S.B. 96 Bill Status

Links