Is Wyoming Reciprocity Changing?

This is a discussion on Is Wyoming Reciprocity Changing? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone verify that this is genuine? If so, my NH permit will be useless there. Thanks, Hoss TO: All Wyoming Sheriffs All Wyoming Chiefs ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wyoming Reciprocity Changing?

Can anyone verify that this is genuine? If so, my NH permit will be useless there.

Thanks,
    Hoss

TO: All Wyoming Sheriffs
    All Wyoming Chiefs of Police

DATE: February 12, 2009

RE: Concealed Firearm Permit Reciprocity

I am writing to let all the agencies in Wyoming know of substantial changes resulting from review of other states’ concealed firearm criteria. The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office recently completed examination of the other 49 states statutes for the purpose of honoring concealed firearms permits issued by another state, or reciprocity.

Pursuant to Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-401(a)(iii), Wyoming will recognize a permit from another state that “has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general . . ..” The Wyoming Attorney General has determined that with the exception of 8 states, presently all the others concealed firearm permit statutes are not sufficiently similar to Wyoming’s. Specifically, Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(b)(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction. Most other states’ analogous
    statutes do not.

The Wyoming Attorney General holds that if a misdemeanor drug conviction disqualifies a Wyoming resident, is also needs to disqualify an out-of-state permit holder. Due to the difference in how each state handles controlled substance convictions, Wyoming is also limited in our ability to maintain reciprocity with states we may have previously.

Accordingly, as of March 1, 2009, Wyoming can only honor concealed firearm permits issued by the following states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts and Utah.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

well i hope i don't have to go to Wyoming anytime soon. Thats the first i've heard of it but then again i get most of my news about these things from this forum

VIP Member
    I just checked the Wyoming Bureau of Criminal Investigation website. This is what is posted there in the FAQ section:

If I am from out of state, is my concealed firearms permit recognized in Wyoming? Wyoming recognizes concealed firearm permits from the following states. Alaska, Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.

I would say until they update the official website you are still good to go. Just remember websites can change quickly, so I'd advise checking daily if your there with a permit from a state in question.
    IANAL

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Looks to me you are fine until March 1st.

Accordingly, as of March 1, 2009, Wyoming can only honor concealed firearm permits issued by the following states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts and Utah.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

think outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    If so, my NH permit will be useless there.
    Sounds like my CO permit would be unrecognized too. Luckily, open carry is a legal alternative in Wyoming, so we can still choose to be legally armed there.

Where did this come from?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Where did this come from?
    I read it on KSCCW.com and according to one poster there, it was also on GlockTalk.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Well, there's only one way to find out for sure... a couple hundred of us need to call (307) 777-7181 tomorrow and ask, and give our feedback at the same time.

I have a 7 day vacation trip planned to Buffalo Wyoming in July. If this is true, since I'm from Colorado and my permit will no longer be valid, I will be letting them know that I will instead be choosing South Dakota, where my permit will be honored.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

1943 - 2009
    Looks like I won't be returning to the State of my birth now.

Didn't lose anything there, anyway...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I'm glad I have my Utah non-res permit.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Tried calling in this morning. First person that answered the attorney generals office didn't know anything about any change, but suggested I talk to the person responsible for CCW issues... However, that person (Chris?) is not in the office, since it is a holiday. His number is 307-777-5369. So I'll try again tomorrow and I would encourage others to as well.

I will definately call tomorrow. I too was planning to include Wyoming in my vacation plans this summer. Now I'll have to reconsider my options if this is true.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

VIP Member
    I would suggest that those who are reconsidering vacation plans in Wyoming as a result of this call not only the Attorney General's office, but also the Tourism agency of the state and the state chamber of commerce and commercial tourism groups. Attorney General Salzburg obviously believes he is interpreting the law correctly, and he may even personally disagree with its effects (I don't know one way or the other).

Be certain to call the businesses who may lose dollars as a result of this. In this economy, I wouldn't think many folks would like impediments to others giving them hard-earned cash.

Good luck!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I agree completely and I'm looking up numbers right now.

Update:
    I called the Wyoming Travel and Tourism Office at 800-225-5996.
    The lady I talked to sounded really surprized and shocked when I asked her if what is being said is true. I honestly think it made her mad when I explained the situation to her.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Odd, I thought Colorado had the same drug restrictions.

Oh well, Time to make some calls.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links