Idiot in Gun Store

Idiot in Gun Store

This is a discussion on Idiot in Gun Store within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in my local pawn/gun store (they have a better selection than all the other gun stores around here) looking for some new toys ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Idiot in Gun Store

Idiot in Gun Store

I was in my local pawn/gun store (they have a better selection than all the other gun stores around here) looking for some new toys to buy with my tax return. When an older man standing next to me talking with one of the clerks pulls out a little Kel Tec and turns the laser on that's mounted to it! As soon as he put it away I couldn't help myself and called him an idiot. Before another word was said I told him that pulling a gun out in a gun shop with kids twenty feet away in the pawn shop part is just plain stupid. And pulling it from a zipped hoodie pocket with no holster is even stupider. I told the clerks that I would be back later to look when it's less dangerous. The only thing that he did even remotely "not stupid" was that he kept it pointed at the ground and didn't put his finger on the trigger. BTW I wasn't armed as having just came from work at the airport. Sadly the clerk just smiled and tapped his pocket (apparently to show where he was carrying concealed) when the old guy pulled his little pocket pistol out (I used to respect his opinion on matters concerning firearms). In hindsight even my reaction seems wrong to me now. Getting out of there would be my first priority while letting the Glock Armorer know what was going on (he is kind of an A#% but he also would not put up with that. What would any of you do if somebody pulls a loaded gun out of there pocket at your GS?
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

VIP Member
    Definately leave, and call the cops. That is illegal (isn't it)?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Depends on the circumstances. I was at the gunstore a while back, and noticed one of the employees had some G10 grips on his carry piece. I asked him how he liked them, and he said "try 'em out", drew his loaded weapon, removed the magazine, cleared it, and let me handle it. I didn't see anything wrong with it, as he handed it to me in a cleared condition, but he was pulling out a loaded gun. I'd expect the same from anyone else.

Why was he pulling it out and turning on the laser? Was he showing it to someone? If so, I think he probably should have unloaded and cleared it before handling it, but that would be my only complaint. If he was just playing with it for no reason, pretty stupid.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Stupid yes, illegal, not necessarily. I think it comes down to state laws regarding brandishing and such. As long as there was no threat or intimidation with pulling the gun out I think that would be legal in PA
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

Do you know the context of their conversation? Or if it was loaded? perhaps he was trying to pawn it?

I wasn't there, just wondering?

If He was discussing something with the clerk and pointed it at the ground, I would probably not think anything about it. If he brought the barrel up, I would start looking for my exit strategy.

I was standing next to him ogling an XDM when I look over and see him unzip his hoodie pocket, pull out his unholstered pistol, turn the laser on to show the clerk that he was armed, pointing it at the ground. He then put it back in his pocket and that's when I spoke up.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

VIP Member
    No brandishing or illegal display in this episode. It is private property and he was conversing with the store owner or clerk about the gun. It can't be illegal to show it in this situation--how else could you sell in a pawn shop? Or, how else could you discuss a weapon with a smith?

The OP's reaction was not wise, as he seems to realize, and is also born out by the pawn show owner's lack of reaction--" the clerk just smiled ." He'd have been doing more than smiling if he thought it was a serious deal.

Stuff happens in life, and sometimes the best thing to do is get out of situation and move on. I would have merely left, or more likely ignored it. It is the clerk's territory and if he was OK with what was going on, it wouldn't be my bizz.

Calling someone an idiot --even if they are acting idiotic-- can be a very unhealthy thing to do. Might even be considered simple assault or disturbing the peace.

Most likely I would just leave. I don't think he did anything illegal He just exercised poor judgement. Carrying W/O a holster is just dangerous and consequently I would just leave.

OK.
    1. I'm in a store that sells handguns.
    2. Let's say there is no sign stating NO LOADED HANDGUNS.
    3. I am carrying a pistol legally and it is loaded (its my EDC).
    4. The clerk and I are discussing something about the pistol.
    5. I ask if he wants to see it.
    6. He says OK.
    7. I produce the pistol, and keep it pointed at the floor.
    8. I show him the serial number, finish, laser, proof mark, whatever.
    9. I put the pistol back where I had been keeping it,(pocket,pouch, whatever).

? Is there something wrong here? This is after all, a place that buys and sells handguns.

bosco

I wouldn't think that it was any of my business either,not smart of the guy to just carry it in his pocket.Who knows if it was even loaded ? I'd have to assume that the clerk knew he was about to pull it out,that's why there was no reaction to it. If it made you uncomfortable it's fine to just leave. No sense in starting something since it appeared to be an A/B coversation,C your way out of it...

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i agree with most people here...that was STUPID but certainly not illegal. i definitely would have called him out on that too...like you said, may not have been the proper reaction, but then again...we're not always proper are we ;-)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Most likely not illegal. In the majority of the gun shops I purchase from, it is understood you should not draw unless you clarify with a store employee first.

I don't go to pawn shops very often, as in my neck of the woods, pawn shops have not been taking pistols, and their rifles tend to be in poor condition given the price. Signs are up stating no loaded firearms allowed.

I think you may have overacted a little, you were fine to say something, and even left, but you may have over done it a little just because you were shocked at the stupidity.

I can only sperak to the norm around were I live.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Of course it's not illegal. He didn't point it at anyone and he was in a private establishment.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears!

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Not to bright on the part of the "old guy" not illegal in my state. That said I know we always assume a firearm is loaded but, Brady, how are you so certain the handgun was loaded?

Cheers
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    OK.
    1. I'm in a store that sells handguns.
    2. Let's say there is no sign stating NO LOADED HANDGUNS.
    3. I am carrying a pistol legally and it is loaded (its my EDC).
    4. The clerk and I are discussing something about the pistol.
    5. I ask if he wants to see it.
    6. He says OK.
    7. I produce the pistol, and keep it pointed at the floor.
    8. I show him the serial number, finish, laser, proof mark, whatever.
    9. I put the pistol back where I had been keeping it,(pocket,pouch, whatever).

? Is there something wrong here? This is after all, a place that buys and sells handguns.

bosco
    I gotta agree here. If you are an armed citizen I suspect most of you carry concealed no matter where you are. Just because I am going into a gun store doesn't mean I unload or disarm. If I need to show the pistol, pulling it out and handling it safely, which it sounds to me the old man did this just fine, is exactly what I would have done.

Too many people freak out and go screaming "idiot!!" at the mere sight of someone else' pistol just because they themselves are either unarmed or dont have the nerve to actually practice your 2nd amendment rights and are scared to carry into a damn gun store!!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links