CC in PA but must cross into MD whats correct

This is a discussion on CC in PA but must cross into MD whats correct within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey can one of the other PA residents chime in and offer me some help? I am in PA but very close to the MD ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC in PA but must cross into MD whats correct

CC in PA but must cross into MD whats correct

Hey can one of the other PA residents chime in and offer me some help?
    I am in PA but very close to the MD line. My wife and I often cross into MD for different reasons. I have my permit for PA but what is
    proper protocal when you cross into a state that does not recipocate?(as in MD) I drive a vehical with no trunk (PU Truck)
    Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Proper thing to do is stay out of MD! If that can't be avoided. Stop prior to entering the state, unload your weapon completely, Place your weapon in a lockable container and lock it. Store your ammo in a separate locked container. Store both containers behind the furthest seat in the vehicle. Pray you don't get stopped, your in for a hassle in MD if you do.

Go around through WV. There's nothing in MD.

Seriously, I'll echo archer51's advice. Lock it up.
    Still Clingin'

I lived in MD for 20 years. What the others said is the deal. MD doesn't issue concealed carry permits and doesn't recognize any other state's permit.

You have ZERO legal backing for carrying concealed in MD without a valid MD permit. Put it in your trunk. In a vehicle without a trunk you need to put it unloaded in a locked case, with the ammo locked separately and then put it as far from you as you possibly can in the vehicle. This satisfies FEDERAL transport laws which MD has to abide by.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Okay, here is the actual answer... (Apologies to those above.)

The Federal law is the Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) of 1986. It stipulates that, barring more lenient laws from the relevant states, it is legal to transport an unloaded firearm across state lines with it locked in the trunk separately from any ammunition, so long as it is legal for you to possess the weapon at your origin and destination.

So, FOPA only protects you if it is legal to have the weapon at your destination in Maryland, according to Maryland state law. Maryland state law says that, without a Maryland carry permit, you may only transport a weapon (unloaded and locked up same as FOPA) to and from a legal residence, a business that you own, a shooting range, or a gunsmith/gunshop.

Therefore if you cross into Maryland to go to the Quickie-Mart, you are SOL. Maryland does not recognize your legal right to transport a gun there, so FOPA is no protection. If you are going to a gunshop, or a range, or a shooting match, or even a friend's house where the friend has given you permission to have the gun there, you should be all right, but the easiest thing to do is not bring a gun to Maryland.

Sorry.

On the other hand, if you go through Maryland to Virginia or points beyond where you can legally have the weapon, FOPA does protect you traveling through Maryland, as you long as you have it unloaded and locked up as others have said.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

me
    I am interested in this another way, Is MD open carry?
    I am moving to VA and my family all live in PA. The trip takes me through MD for 5 minutes, is MD an open carry state and would this satisfy me for the 5 minutes i will be in the state?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    No, MD is not open carry. In fact, Maryland makes no distinction between open carry and concealed carry at all. A Maryland permit is a Permit to Carry Weapons (gun or otherwise, open or concealed), and without one the restrictions are what I posted above.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

me
    Thanks Kazz.

I am good then to take it unloaded.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    I am good then to take it unloaded.
    Unloaded, locked and stowed in accordance with the FOPA . . . then you are good.

I really don't miss MD.

I found this on "handgunlaw.us. I hope this helps you.

Q: Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)

A: Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for the lawful purpose from anyplace he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the drivers compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Reading this just reminds me of how happy I am not to live in MD anymore.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

Well, there is a worse place to live with regard to gun laws. Have you ever seen the gun laws from the District of Columbia? That's one location I would NOT want to pulled over with a gun OR ammunition in my vehicle!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Well, there is a worse place to live with regard to gun laws. Have you ever seen the gun laws from the District of Columbia? That's one location I would NOT want to pulled over with a gun OR ammunition in my vehicle!
    Anyone who has ever lived in MD is very familiar with DC gun laws. Just like how we were familiar with VA, PA, DE and WV gun laws and how us and DC were surrounded by shall-issue states.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Drew M View Post
    Anyone who has ever lived in MD is very familiar with DC gun laws. Just like how we were familiar with VA, PA, DE and WV gun laws and how us and DC were surrounded by shall-issue states.
    Being from PA I got the opposite problem...NJ, MD, DE, and NY

...its improving a little though, OH use to be no-issue a couple years back.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGuns View Post
    Reading this just reminds me of how happy I am not to live in MD anymore.
    Me too. But then, that is just one reason.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links