Not an uncommon scenario - Page 2

Not an uncommon scenario

This is a discussion on Not an uncommon scenario within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SubNine She knows I carry, and unfortunately right now she is pregnant so I can't take her shooting, and the baby isn't ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not an uncommon scenario

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    She knows I carry, and unfortunately right now she is pregnant so I can't take her shooting, and the baby isn't due until August. All I can do now is hope nothing bad happens to her between now and August when the baby is due.
    She can not go to the range because she is pregnant? Because of health issues? or She can not find the time to go?

You do not state in the post if the older kids come to dinner with you or stay home with dad or babysitter? If she can not go because she can not make the time opposed to health issues. I would pay for the baby sitter myself in order to get her to the range. ( Not me, but you she seems like a nice gal but I am not paying for her to go.) Basically she has a blunt instrument instead of a firearm. Could have saved the money on the gun and gotten a few bricks from home depot. I would have her read cornered cat. Great site for femalesand males.

Such incidents are becoming more common for robbers and crazies. They prey on decent people like us because they know your momma raised you right and you go to church. People like us naturally want to help others and we're kind.

I posted in another thread where a 'yoot' came to the door of a couple in the next neighborhood asking for help. When the guy opened his door, he assaulted the couple nearly killing the husband and sexually assaulting the wife. They were kind, generous people thinking the guy needed help.

Sadly, if I find a stranger bleeding on my front porch, I'm leaving the door locked and calling 911 from INSIDE the house - with my hand on my Sig P226.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I don't know, but to me, it seems that being IN the car is the advantage. When you're in a car, it becomes the best weapon that you have. Simply stepping on the gas will, in most cases, end the threat right then.

I now have a set routine when getting in my car. I used to just get in, put on the seat belt, and drive off. I locked the doors only half the time, and usually by accident when my arm pushed the lock down. That changed in late 2006. I was working performing medical house calls, and I was trying to find an address. It was in one of Las Vegas' worst sections. As I drove up and down the block looking for an address (I had actually transposed some numbers and the address that I was trying to find didn't exist-I found the correct address after the next portion of the story) one of the local street corner pharmaceutical salesmen opened the passenger door and stepped inside-I was doing about 20 mph at the time. I reached for my XD 45 in a fanny pack, as I asked him what the hell he wanted. He said that he thought that I was looking to buy drugs. I told him I wasn't, and he should leave, since I didn't want to get his blood on the upholstery. He said "Sorry", and jumped out faster than he got in. Now, my current car locks the door automatically after I start driving, but it doesn't have the chance. I now get in my car, lock the doors, start the car, then put on the seat belt. From the moment that I get in, the doors are locked, and I get ready to pull out immediately should the need arise. I no longer want to chance having a local entrepreneur get into the car uninvited. I no longer do house calls, but the car still gets locked immediately.

This is great advise. I just changed my habits myself. I use the remote to unlock the car door just as I get to the car then once I have my door open if alone I lock the door before I even get all the way in. My doors are unlocked for all of about 4 seconds max.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Yep, great advice and something I've always done. Just part of good self-awareness.
    Remember your brain is the weapon we are all born with, use it to your best advantage.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Heres my thought,gas can ain't empty you roll down the window and he dowses you with gas,then he either throws in a match, or you draw and fire,the muzzle flash ignites the gas fumes and the end results are the same except BG won't do it to someone else
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Power locks are a great thing. In the 1970's hitchhiking was popular. As a pre-driving teenager, I used to hitchhike (often with a friend) to get around some of the larger distances around my home town (a bit smaller than Detroit). Cars would drive by us at 45 MPH with some older couple and we'd hear the doors lock. Used to crack us up (like we were going to jump in at 45 MPH), but it was at least good to see they'd become aware they were vulnerable.

That was a LONG time ago. The world was very different, though hitchhiking was still dangerous for both hiker and ride. Much worse now, NEVER pick up a hitchhiker, and NEVER do it.

Try hard to get your sister to the range as soon as the baby is delivered. It never ceases to amaze me of the people who mistakenly think they are protected because they've got a gun (that they've never fired) in a drawer somewhere. It just doesn't work that way.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Good post… thanks

It’s a shame we live in such a world, that we are hesitant, to assist others, for fear their true pursuit is to do us harm.

But, that’s the times we live in; we did not make them that way, and I fear that the near future will even be worse.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    She can not go to the range because she is pregnant? Because of health issues? or She can not find the time to go?

You do not state in the post if the older kids come to dinner with you or stay home with dad or babysitter? If she can not go because she can not make the time opposed to health issues. I would pay for the baby sitter myself in order to get her to the range. ( Not me, but you she seems like a nice gal but I am not paying for her to go.) Basically she has a blunt instrument instead of a firearm. Could have saved the money on the gun and gotten a few bricks from home depot. I would have her read cornered cat. Great site for femalesand males.
    If she's pregnant is generally not advisable for her to shoot due to exposure to both lead and noise and their impact on the fetus.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

VIP Member

auto locking doors

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    Now, my current car locks the door automatically after I start driving, but it doesn't have the chance. I now get in my car, lock the doors, start the ca.
    On some makes and models you can change the way the auto door locks work. I'm like you, I prefer to do it myself and do it as soon as I sit down. The auto lock's default is to lock when you reach 9 mph. This has meant that in the past I (or we) were sitting in an unlocked car until moving along fairly well. UNACCEPTABLE.

A quick look through the owner's manual provided the reset procedure. I didn't use it, but I DO lock the doors immediately, auto lock or not.

“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I had something like this happen 2 weeks ago when I was taking my wife to the city for her birthday dinner. We were approached by a vagrant looking for gas money while getting out of the car. With people getting more and more desperate its getting ugly out there.

Just curious, is your sister married? If so what does her husband think? Is he into guns? Does he carry?
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    My sister is married, and her husband is a gun owner. He does not carry as his only handgun is a Ruger P345, and that thing is bit heavy for carry. I advised my sister not to carry until she becomes familiar with her gun, and to seek professional training. She just needs to find the time to do it.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I can't tell you how many times I've seen those guys who "just ran out of gas" out in the same location on multiple days. I NEVER even make eye contact with them. I'm convinced that 98% are scams, 1% are for real, and 1% are looking for a victim. Glad you and your sister came out ok.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Gone are the days when you could hitch hike, pick up people, hug everybody, and go out of your way to help others. At least when armed and aware, you can still be polite.
    +1 on that ! Sometimes you get farther in life like that.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links