Not an uncommon scenario

This is a discussion on Not an uncommon scenario within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many of us have been approached by complete strangers who seem to need gas money. I went out to grab a bite with my sister ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not an uncommon scenario

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Not an uncommon scenario

Many of us have been approached by complete strangers who seem to need gas money. I went out to grab a bite with my sister tonight, and after we got done eating we just got into her truck, this guy with a gas can in his hand came up to where we were. He knocked on the driver side window where my sister was sitting and she rolled down her window all the way. The guy asked us if we had any cash to give him for gas. I immediately put my hand on my G19 which was on my right hip, and the guy couldn't see me reach for it as I was in the front passenger seat. He told us he wasn't looking to rob us or anything, and I told him "I hope not, and I don't have any cash to give you." After he left he approached a different vehicle and actually got IN on the passenger side. Not a minute later the driver of that car kicked him out and he was standing in the middle of the road swearing at the driver. Anyway, I'm just glad we weren't targets for a robbery or car theft.

I thought about what just happened tonight, and I saw him approach us before I got in, and I should have stayed outside the truck and asked him what he wanted while he was running across the street to where we were. The truck would have still blocked his view from where my right hand was, oh well live and learn. I told my sister next time she is approached by a stranger, do not roll down the window all the way.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Good post. I once had a young female pizza delivery driver pull up to where I was walking and ask me to change a fifty dollar bill for her. Sure lady, I'm going to take your fifty which you may have just run off your printer and give you fifty dollars that I know are the real thing. I don't think so. In the same neighborhood I had a six foot tall man wearing a very tight red skirt in three inch heels ask me where a certain address was. "Uh, I don't know and could you back off a little please."
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

VIP Member
    Gone are the days when you could hitch hike, pick up people, hug everybody, and go out of your way to help others. At least when armed and aware, you can still be polite.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    I would suggest telling your sister to not roll down the window AT ALL. She can talk to him through the window, keep as much a barrier between her and the (possible) BG. You may also suggest she arms herself for when she's alone. JMHO

Sounds like a good reaction from you, other than getting in the car. (As you mentioned.)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

ove had people approach me when im CC, but 99% of the time OC no one ever begs or ask for anything
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I would suggest telling your sister to not roll down the window AT ALL. She can talk to him through the window, keep as much a barrier between her and the (possible) BG. You may also suggest she arms herself for when she's alone. JMHO

Sounds like a good reaction from you, other than getting in the car. (As you mentioned.)

She does have a J Frame .38 revolver, but unfortunately she doesn't see the need to carry it all the time, not only that she has never shot a gun in her life. I would like to take her shooting, get her familiar with her gun, but our work schedules often conflict, and she has three kids to take care of too. I am glad I was with her tonight, I think my calm but firm tone towards the guy may have prevented him from doing something to my sister. He seemed pretty heated after he was kicked out of the other car he tried to get into, and made me wonder why that driver had his or her passenger door unlocked in the first place.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

It's a bad idea for anyone, especially an unarmed female to roll down the window for a guy like that,it only takes a split second for anything to happen,better safe than sorry. A good friend of mine was robbed at gunpoint in the same basic scenario.
    If your sister doesn't know how to use her gun and hit what she shoots at she'd might as well have a pack of gum or any other useless object. I hope that she wises up before it's too late for her.

Tell your sister to never, ever roll her window down for a stranger again. She needs to be educated on how to protect herself. Does she carry? Does she know you do? Take her to the range and teach her. Get her carrying and get her in condition yellow all the time!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

She knows I carry, and unfortunately right now she is pregnant so I can't take her shooting, and the baby isn't due until August. She has a gun of her own, but has never fired a single round through it yet. As much as I would like to see her carry, it is ultimately up to her. This is probably why she invites me to go eat out with her all the time so she can have me around to protect her. I would much prefer to see her protect herself, and have the confidence to use her gun with both shooting and reloading.

All I can do now is hope nothing bad happens to her between now and August when the baby is due, and this being her fourth kid in 5 years since she had her oldest son.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I don't know, but to me, it seems that being IN the car is the advantage. When you're in a car, it becomes the best weapon that you have. Simply stepping on the gas will, in most cases, end the threat right then.

I now have a set routine when getting in my car. I used to just get in, put on the seat belt, and drive off. I locked the doors only half the time, and usually by accident when my arm pushed the lock down. That changed in late 2006. I was working performing medical house calls, and I was trying to find an address. It was in one of Las Vegas' worst sections. As I drove up and down the block looking for an address (I had actually transposed some numbers and the address that I was trying to find didn't exist-I found the correct address after the next portion of the story) one of the local street corner pharmaceutical salesmen opened the passenger door and stepped inside-I was doing about 20 mph at the time. I reached for my XD 45 in a fanny pack, as I asked him what the hell he wanted. He said that he thought that I was looking to buy drugs. I told him I wasn't, and he should leave, since I didn't want to get his blood on the upholstery. He said "Sorry", and jumped out faster than he got in. Now, my current car locks the door automatically after I start driving, but it doesn't have the chance. I now get in my car, lock the doors, start the car, then put on the seat belt. From the moment that I get in, the doors are locked, and I get ready to pull out immediately should the need arise. I no longer want to chance having a local entrepreneur get into the car uninvited. I no longer do house calls, but the car still gets locked immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post

I cannot understand why your sister would own a gun even though she has never fired it. What's the point of owning it if you don't know how to use it~~~ Once the baby arrives, hopefully she'll learn how to use it. Until then, stay in condition yellow....
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

She took up an interest in being able to protect her and the kids, but has not been able to find the time to learn how to shoot it. She is not the gun enthusiast like I am, but understands that she is responsible for her safety and the safety of her children. I agreed to help her pick out her first firearm, and since she couldn't rack the slides on any of the semi-autos she handled, the clerk suggested a revolver, and that's what she ended up getting (Smith & Wesson 638). As soon as she unloads this hopefully last child, I am taking her to the firing range. The guys that run that place will gladly give her some free instruction. I could teach her but I am not good at explaining stuff.

Similar Experience...Different Outcome

A friend of mine and two of his buddies were out for the evening. They had just filled up when a guy came to the driver's window asking for change for the pay phone. They said no. He asked again. Upon the second no, the guy pulled a gun. The guy sitting in the middle was killed and the driver was left drove to the hospital with a bullet lodged in his sinuses.

He was 20 at the time of the incident. He got his gun at 21 and has carried ever since. He uses his head more now also.

You can not be too cautious. If they get offended, too bad. You will probably never see them again. It is your family that you want to see again.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Wait a minute, she has a gun and doesn't know how to use it, and she has children?
    This sounds a little scary to me. Make sure she learns to properly handle her gun and keep it stored safely away from the little ones until they are old enough to learn to handle it as well.
    Meanwhile go over Self Awareness with her, she needs to know to keep her doors locked and not open the window for strangers. Make sure the kids get the same lesson as well. I hope she would know how to handle a situation like that when she is alone, or when it's just her and the kids.

This is a good place for her to start:
    http://www.corneredcat.com/
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Thumbs up Rugergirl, you're absolutely right!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Wait a minute, she has a gun and doesn't know how to use it, and she has children?
    This sounds a little scary to me. Make sure she learns to properly handle her gun and keep it stored safely away from the little ones until they are old enough to learn to handle it as well.
    Meanwhile go over Self Awareness with her, she needs to know to keep her doors locked and not open the window for strangers. Make sure the kids get the same lesson as well. I hope she would know how to handle a situation like that when she is alone, or when it's just her and the kids.

This is a good place for her to start:
    Cornered Cat
    You're absolutely right, Rugergirl! Well said indeed!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links