Gun registration and CC laws??? - Page 2

Gun registration and CC laws???

This is a discussion on Gun registration and CC laws??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in NC, to purchase a handgun you must get a permit to purchase($5.00) from the county of your residence Sherrif's Office. If you are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun registration and CC laws???

Here in NC, to purchase a handgun you must get a permit to purchase($5.00) from the county of your residence Sherrif's Office. If you are buying your handgun new, then your gun shop will take all of your personal info i.e. (Driver license#, Handgun serial# & questionaire). You must get a purchase to permit for each handgun you buy unless you have a Concealed Carry Permit. If you are doing a private purchase from an individual, then you are still suppose to obtain a "permit to purchase".

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    ...Make the purchase and then I ship the gun to myself back in NY overnight air. ...
    Regardless of the other issues, check on this. I'm not sure it's legal. I tried to do this when my daughter went off to school, but it didn't work out. I think I may have called the shipper, and they said, "no way". And I'm not sure what the legality would be if shipping incognito. Would like to know the truth, actually, but I do remember this trick not being workable for me.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Gun registration is largely a myth of Hollywood and the liberal media. There are very few places in the USA that require people to register their arms.

And I for one, would not be willing to live anywhere that requires it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Gun registration is largely a myth of Hollywood and the liberal media. There are very few places in the USA that require people to register their arms.

And I for one, would not be willing to live anywhere that requires it.

I live in one of the "myth" states. All handguns must be registered in MI.

VIP Member

Advance apology but please read and take to heart

Quote Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 View Post
    Just sitting here looking at my unregistered gun and realized that I didnt know what laws exist for an unregistered gun and CC. Say I am carrying an unregistered unit and have to shoot someone obviously the cops will take my gun when they show up and probably give it back after the figure out the situation and realize I wasnt in the wrong but will they confiscate it if its not registered?
    I can not know where you are actually posting from, Utah or elsewhere, because sometimes folks use funky addresses. In any case reading between the lines of your post it sounds as if you are really new to guns and cc, probably quite young, and not familiar with your own state's laws. That's my impression and I apologize if I am wrong.

Many states, maybe Utah, require some sort of class before you can get a cc license. If Utah is one of these states, you need to do that so you can learn the laws in your state. If you have not already taken some type of gun safety instruction, perhaps a hunter safety course, now would be a good time to do that.

Most states have no type of gun registration. I would be really surprised if Utah has anything at all like that. But the fact that you asked this particular question suggests an unfamiliarity with gun ownership that is concerning. Or, maybe you just moved to Utah from a state with very restrictive gun laws.

Your question /comment starting with : "I am carrying an unregistered unit and have to shoot someone, " and your follow up comments on what "the cops" might or might not after a shooting, do indicate to me that you are not yet properly prepared to carry a gun.

The least important thing you will need to worry about if you "have to shoot someone" is whether or not the cops will take away your gun. Your question about this is why I think you are quite young.

You will have to worry about whether or not you will be charged with a crime, like MURDER, how you are going to pay for a legal defense, do you even have a defense, and how you are going to live with yourself for the rest of your life.

You need to learn your state laws first. You need to learn your responsibilities first. You need to think very seriously about the very serious responsibility that carrying brings to your shoulder. You need to think about the legal consequences of a real-world shooting and whether or not you are emotionally sound and intellectually strong, so you will be able to withstand what will inevitably happen after a shooting. Because, it will not be good no matter what. At best you will have to hire a lawyer, probably spend at least some time being vigorously questioned, maybe spend some time in jail--perhaps weeks or months, until a Grand Jury decides whether you did or didn't use justifiable force.

In fact, you need to be thinking that the very last thing you ever want to happen in your life is that you would actually use your gun. You need to be thinking about all of the possible ways you could avoid ever needing to use your gun, including maybe not cc ing.

You need to have gone through these things in your mind, and learned your state's laws on concealed carry and on the lawful use of deadly force, and on negligence, and on assault, and where carrying is prohibited, and if needed (which I think is not the case) on gun registration, before you do anything further.

Even if Utah allows any adult to open carry a handgun (I don't know if this is true) or even if Utah requires no formal instruction prior to its issuance of a concealed license, you owe it to yourself to LEARN, EVERYTHING you might possibly need to know to carry in a safe, sane, and fully lawful way.

So If I was in Florida where I have my floida CCW and stae ID card. I walk into a pawn shop or see and ad in the paper or guy walking down the street. I see a glock for sale. Make the purchase and then I ship the gun to myself back in NY overnight air. How do I walk into police department to register the gun here? Walk in with hand written bill of sale? Here in Nasau County you must register all guns.

you cant buy a handgun out of state unless you have FFL handle the transaction
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Everyone should note the newest "proposed" legislation that would require ALL handguns and rifles to be registered. This is a proposed federal law.

I beleive the federal government in Germany in 1939 had the same thoughts. How did that work out?

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    Everyone should note the newest "proposed" legislation that would require ALL handguns and rifles to be registered. This is a proposed federal law.

I beleive the federal government in Germany in 1939 had the same thoughts. How did that work out?
    You are referring to HR45. If you have not already, please contact your congressmen and make it clear that you do not want anything remotely similar to HR45. Search for HR45 on this forum for more information.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Registration?

Papieren Bitte
    Nein, Kugel?

(I hope I got it right with the online translator)
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I can not know where you are actually posting from, Utah or elsewhere, because sometimes folks use funky addresses. In any case reading between the lines of your post it sounds as if you are really new to guns and cc, probably quite young, and not familiar with your own state's laws. That's my impression and I apologize if I am wrong.
    I am actually in Utah and have been my whole life. I dont think I'm that young but I guess it depends on who is judging (24) and I have been around guns most my life just never really got in the legalities of any of it as I was always shooting long guns and have never bought my own gun until recently.
    I did take the cc class and we covered all the utah laws concerning cc and having to make the choice of shooting or not shooting I have also taken the hunters safety class when I was younger.
    The main reason for my question was after our cc instructor left a couple of us asked that question and had forgotten to ask him so it got me thinking.
    I probably could have worded it different and gone into more detatil but I didnt want to make everyone read a novel to understand the question at hand. I got my answer just fine from what I put so I guess it worked.
    I also realize that the last thing on my mind in that situation would be weather they were going to take my gun but I'm not in that situation now which is why its on my mind now.

Thanks all for your info.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    So If I was in Florida where I have my floida CCW and stae ID card. I walk into a pawn shop or see and ad in the paper or guy walking down the street. I see a glock for sale. Make the purchase and then I ship the gun to myself back in NY overnight air. How do I walk into police department to register the gun here? Walk in with hand written bill of sale? Here in Nasau County you must register all guns.
    You cannot take delivery of a handgun directly from anyone outside your State (Federal law, gun control act of 1968). You need to take delivery from an FFL (Federal Firearms Licensee- ie: Dealer) who is located in your State of residence. You would need to have the seller ship it to your FFL in your home State (some will not accept it unless it also comes from an FFL, so you'll have two fees to deal with in that case).

Then when you get home, you can have the local FFL transfer the weapon to you. Some will do this for a fee (I buy most of my firearms via the internet using such a transfer service).

For the OP, if you're involved in any shooting, it is a safe bet the police will impound your firearm regardless if registered or not. If registration is required and has not been completed, it is likely you will be charged with a crime and unlikely you will ever get it back. If no registration is required, then obviously you couldn't have registered it (which is why I think many are having a tough time with your question?). Anyway, if you are cleared of any wrong doing in the shooting (it was determined as self defense for example, and you were not charged with any crime), you should get your firearm back.... eventually (don't hold your breath, this may be quite some time).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post

Not well for them at all. Have you ever seen a translated copy of Hitler's gun control act and compared it to the language of our own Gun Control Act of 1968? VERY spooky to say the least. Parts of it are seemingly taken verbatim (hey, is that a German word? ). No, it's not a German word. I was just kidding on that part.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links