Am I legal?
My local cell provider has a "No concealed carry" sign posted, but it doesn't meet the requirements specified in the SC code. (sign is not the proper size) Besides the obvious (not supporting them) can I carry when I stop there (Maybe once a year)
SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.
(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.
(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:
(1) clearly visible from outside the building;
(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;
(3) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black one-inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty-five degree angle from the horizontal;
(5) a diameter of a circle; and
(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building's entrance door.
(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:
(1) thirty-six inches wide by forty-eight inches tall in size;
(2) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black three- inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty-four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty-five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;
(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety-six inches above the ground;
(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.
If it is not a legal sign it holds no value. You may enter and concealed is concealed. However, if you get made and they ask you to leave and you dont well you know what happens... tresspassing.
Let me ask you this? Have you joined Grass Roots Gun Rights yet? If you havent, you should.
Excellent. Tell em Richard sent you...
Originally Posted by sawyerrt10
Hope my answer was helpful.
As Allamerican said, if the sign isn't legal, it holds no value. But I'd say then it's carry at your own "risk"
I agree here. I mean you know what the signs intent is but... if you follow Grass Roots in SC then you know that they played a part in getting the signage laws in the books so they had to be uniform for the very reason were talking about.
Originally Posted by sigmanluke
When thestate first adopted the right to carry CWP, all kinds of store were putting up signs and all of them were different. So, GRGR fought to have a uniform statute for this and many of the signs came down.
The folks who keep their illegal signs up are either ignorant to the law or just want to deter law abiding citizens from carrying. I dont do business with anyone who has a sign if I can help it.
But if I have to go in and the sign is not the standard, I would go in.
FWIW, my permit isnt here yet soI dont carry anywhere Im not allowed to right now.
FWIW both my wife's and I's CWP took the full time as stated on the SLED website. Where you at in SC?
I am in Chesterfield. Yes, SLED always takes the full 90 days. My wife is 9 days ahead of me so hers will come first... stupid post office.
Originally Posted by sawyerrt10
So Im at day 68 and she is on 77.
Sounds like Texas here it's a 30.06 compliant sign and must be 1" contrasting letters in english and spanish with exact wording or it ain't worth squat