Defensive Carry banner

Wait time for WA CPL

23K views 50 replies 32 participants last post by  ICIMP 
#1 ·
I don't know if I'm just being paranoid.

I applied for my WA CPL on the 4th of Feb and still haven't got it. I was wondering if there is someone I call to see if its been approved/unapproved.

If anyone can help me that would be great.

Thanks

#4 ·
i dont remember how long mine took 3 years ago, but i know it was right around a month.....i know that i am waiting for my oregon one now, and they had said usual wait time 2 weeks, but theyve had so many aplications, its now 3-4 weeks......im at week three, and checking the mailbox like ralphie looking for his little orphan annie decoder pin

#5 ·
Mine took 3 weeks to arrive, and it was post dated to the 31st day after my application was submitted. King County Sheriffs Office didn't want me to have it a single day early.

#6 ·
Had mine in 10 days through Lake Stevens PD. That was just before the major surge in CPL applications.

They have to issue in 30 days if they can't find a reason not to give it to you. I am sure the volume of applications alone warrants a little patience.

If you lived in another state besides WA, then it can take a little longer, also, depending on how quickly those states reply to the query.

Hang in there, it'll come. Congratulations on your decision to get your CPL.

#7 ·
Y'all are lucky. Texas is running so far behind it can take 60 to 90 days, they claim. And its a shall-issue state. My class was on Jan. 10, my paperwork went in on Jan. 12, and on Feb. 5 I got a letter saying the application had been received and was in processing. They gave me a web site to check that says "Application Processing." I suppose I may see it "Approved" there before it hits my mailbox.

#8 ·
What part of Washington are you in? Have you tried to call the office where you aaplied to see if they can tell you how to find out?

In Snohomish county, we (wife and I) dealt with very friendly professional people. Ours came in just a few reasonable days due to normal processing and mail time.

I was actually very pleasantly surprised at how fair the process was.

#10 ·
I live in Spokane. I'm might call the place I applied at. They were very nice to me when I came in originally. I'm sure that they'll just tell me to relax but at this moment I just can't wait to get it and get it over with.

I'm also sure you all can relate.

#9 ·
If I recall they have 30 days. Where you applied makes a difference obviously those opposed for concealed carry or don't like you for whatever will drag their feet. I would not sweat it

#11 ·
for residents, 30 days is the legal limit. Spokane PD seems to get them out in 2-3 weeks on average. My new resident permit (60 day max) came in about 4 weeks.

never fear, it will soon be here...

#12 ·
This might be a stupid question. What is the difference between a concealed pistol license and a resident permit?

#14 ·
There really is no "resident permit". We are calling things by confusing names. WA State issues "concealed pistol license" to both residents of WA State and non resents. The permits are identical, the only difference is there is a longer wait time for police to check on the out of State applicants.

Samson1

I called on my WA CPL yesterday because it had been 28 days. I just called the city police station that took my app. The lady informed me that "they were required to wait 30 days" before issue. I thought it was 30 days max but according to her they would mail it out at 30 days or as close as they can. My 30 days ends on a Saturday so I assume I should get it the next Monday or Tuesday.
read these FAQ:

WA State Licensing: Frequently asked questions - Concealed Pistol License

The law says a maximum of 30 days. Some police departments seem to wait as long as possible. Wait the required 30 days, if you don't receive it, contact the State Attorney General.

#13 ·
I called on my WA CPL yesterday because it had been 28 days. I just called the city police station that took my app. The lady informed me that "they were required to wait 30 days" before issue. I thought it was 30 days max but according to her they would mail it out at 30 days or as close as they can. My 30 days ends on a Saturday so I assume I should get it the next Monday or Tuesday.

#17 ·
The lady informed me that "they were required to wait 30 days" before issue.
I'd call the lady back with a copy of the law and correct her. In a helpful way. If your permit arrives past 30 days file a complaint with who I have no idea . The AG ? Anyone have any ideas suggestions.

#16 ·
When I applied in November thru the Snohomish County Sherriffs Office they told me it could take up to 30 days but they would not allow you to inquire until the 30 days was up. Believe me I tried.

After 35 days they finally determined it was lost in mail. So they told me to come down and get a free replacement witch is issued same day. My sister applied at the same place around October and received it in 10 days.

I was told they have up to 30 days to issue it.

I still haven't seen my original one in the mail.

#24 ·
I called them and they said that it hasn't been processed yet. They said not to get my hopes up and not to expect it anytime soon.

Its kind of annoying how long it takes but it could be worse I suppose.

#26 ·
I've came to a conclusion to my anxiety problem. At least for a little while.

1. Wear my holster around the house (gun in it).

2. Put a butt load of rounds down range

#28 ·
bigjake, which county in Oregon did you apply to?

My non-res CPL in Clark County, WA took several days over the 60 day max. I called on the 60th day, and they were initially unable to find it (finally found it sitting on someone's desk). My then-wife had hers in less than 30 days.

Regards,
Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.