Anyone got word that the number of CCP has increased?

This is a discussion on Anyone got word that the number of CCP has increased? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I heard and read several reports about the drastic increase in CCP applications, in several states... and the number of firearm purchases has also increased ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I heard and read several reports about the drastic increase in CCP applications, in several states... and the number of firearm purchases has also increased DESPITE the bad economy and all the doom and gloom.

Just today I stopped by my fav gun shop (Adventure Outdoors in South Cobb), and I figured that the placed would be seeing poor busness due to the recession... what I saw was the total opposite, the place actually very busy.

Since firearms are expensive, has anyone here wandered why these things noted would be the case? Despite money being tight with so many people today, why are more people investing in guns, especially handguns to go along with a CCP?

IMHO it's probably a result of people knowing that they had better not depend on a lacking 911 system (here in Metro Atlanta, there are SEVERAL bad cases of people's houses on fire etc and they were placed on hold while their houses burned to the ground), now correlate this to the fact that less LEO are on the streets in some areas because politicians and administrates are cutting budgets (hell, the city can't even pay a WATER BILL!), along with resent cases of violent crime where the victims were savagely murdered WHILE THEY FULLY COMPLIED with the demands of criminals (Just some weeks ago, a well known bartender was shot execution style by 4 armed men around the Memorial Drive area, AFTER he had give up all the money and layed flat on his face, DEFENSELESS
    Robbers shoot, kill bartender execution-style | ajc.com
    )

And some have also suggested that the increase in CCP and firearms is tied to the fact that many people who are open to firearm ownership and it's value as a viable self defense tool fear America's newest president's view on the 2nd Amendment... IMHO, this has some truth to it but I think it's more tied to the other reasons I listed above... what do you guys think?
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Well personally I think part of the reason gun sales are up is because no one really know what kind of things Obama is going to do pertaining the federal firearm laws.

Since BHO is known to be opposed to handguns and assault rifles, those are the items that are in shortest supply and which have seen the sharpest price increases. I think politics is a big part of it. Also, I think a realization that in bad times crime may go up, while police budgets may go down, has contributed to some degree. I'm a newcomer to CHL, and I am waiting for my license. My personal reasons are a mixture of the above, and an interest in guns for sport, plus a determination not to see my rights taken away through apathy or disuse.

I vote all of the above. People act when they feel threatened physically by the crime/LEO related news you cite.

I think they also feel threatened that something that is available to them now could be taken away. So with perceived scarcity comes panic buying. Whenever there have been firearms restrictions, there usually has been a grandfather clause. So if you own one before any restrictions are passed, then you have a better chance of being able to keep it.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    No bailout needed for Glock, Colt, or Smith & Wesson, huh...?

Haven't you heard...? Obama is the Gun Salesman Of The Year...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

People know that when people get desperate for money they will do almost anything to get it everything from armed robbery to home invasions and they are learning the cops can't hardly protect themselves from violent criminals and are the last ones to get to the scene of a crime,just in time to collect evidence and interview witnesses.Make arrests and prosecute if they find the perps and have enough evidence to convict.Nothing says guilty more than the guy laying dead in your house after your door was forced open and he doesn't have an invitation to tea
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't think the economy is as bad as the new administration and the media wants everyone to believe. Its bad for the auto industry and it's bad for real estate in certain locals; Vegas and a few other markets that were way overheated but in the majority of the nation where sanity has always prevailed things are just fine. Unemployment is still below 10% which means more than 90% of people who want to work are working. I think what were seeing is an attempt by the left to change the culture. If you can't afford a home should the govt. buy you one. That's where they want to take us.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

In NC and VA firearm sales and concealed
    carry permits have increased significantly
    over the past several months. There have
    been articles in the newspapers about the increase.
    Went to a gun show in NC a few days ago and
    it was very crowded with people buying assault
    rifles and small pistols.

Senior Moderator
    In 1995 a group of us in a gun club got our certs and started out in giving CHL classes as a way to fund the range for our gunclub.

Back then we held a class every four months.

About 3 years ago, we upped it a bit to one class every three months.

Last year, we held one class a month and had to turn many away.

This year, I set class dates in December of last year and had a 50 student limit on the classes. In the first weeks of Dec. I had reached that limit for the January class and the Febuary class which I will teach this weekend.

In March, due to demand, we are having 3 different classes on three weekends.

We decided to take April off, as most of the Instructors turkey hunt and thats when it happens.

I already have half of the May class filled up.

The reasons for this are the subject of speculation. In every class we have the word "Obama" is heard.

You can come to your own conclusion.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Cool

WVshooter. Also, 95% of mortgages are current and not in default.

CR2008 are you not a GCO member(its not in your sig,)its the best 15$ you can spend for gun rights? there have been many articles in the newsletters I get from them.

In fact if you any where near Atlanta on the march `6th you should come out to the federal court house and show your support:

On March 6, 2009, there will be a hearing in federal court on Fulton County's motion to dismiss in the GCO v. Pinkie Toomer

case. The Fulton County motion to dismiss claims that the Second Amendment does not apply to the State of Georgia, putting the issue of incorporation of the Second Amendment against the states directly into issue. We encourage all GCO members to attend the hearing.

a few examples below of news from the updates, there was one that told of the increase in percentages but i believe i already deleted it

(P) Albany TV Station Reports on Increasing Licenses

More Georgians Are Packing Heat, and Dougherty Is No Exception

There is a video at the link! the text claims GFL applications are up 80%

(Q) Fox News - Atlantans Arming Themselves

Video at the link

(S) More Armed Georgians

Robber Shot During Stick-Up Attempt - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Robber Shot During Stick-Up Attempt
    Monday, February 2, 2009 – updated: 6:53 am EST February 2, 2009

STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. -- The target of a robbery fought back Monday by pulling a gun and shooting and wounding the stick-up man.

The armed robber approached the man at the U-Wash carwash on Rockbridge Road.

The would-be victim pulled his own gun and opened fire, hitting the robbery suspect.

The wounded man was taken to the hospital where he's in stable condition and facing armed robbery charges.

It is getting dangerous out there to be an armed robber!

Maybe Rep. Marin's bill will decrease the number of firearms licenses and make the streets safe for armed robbers again. That would make Chief Jones of Suwanee and the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police happy. They think you are dangerous.

(5) Armed Georgians

Yesterday, a 28 year old man out on a date encountered a robber armed with a gun in an Atlanta parking lot. He used his car door to knock the robber away from him, then shot the robber "five or six times in the stomach and chest." The robber never got a shot off, and he died. So what does the Atlanta Police Department say?

Detective Michael Willis told the Atlanta Journal Constitution that "the man's accuracy was impressive."

Please vote in the AJC Poll at Robber shot, killed by victim in E. Atlanta | ajc.com

Right now, the good guys are winning with about 88% of the vote, but let's see if we can't push the numbers a little higher.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

I feel that its all of the above. Myself I have been planning on getting my CCW since MI went shall issue in 01 but its taken me 8 years to have the money and time available. Not to say that Obama getting elected did make finding the money a much higher priority. Pretty much the same story on purchasing a rifle been wanting one for a while now but it moved up on the list since November.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

I recall seeing an article about a month ago that the National Gun Resellers Association voted Obama gun salesman of the year for 2008. Given the climate now, I think he's well on his way for a 2009 nomination as well. Sales and CCW applictations are outpacing 2008 with no sign of slowing up here in Florida.

In all seriousness though, as a new president watching the political and economic landscape, he should be very interested in huge spikes in both gun sales and CCW applications throughout the US.
    2A is not negotiable

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    I don't think the economy is as bad as the new administration and the media wants everyone to believe. Its bad for the auto industry and it's bad for real estate in certain locals; Vegas and a few other markets that were way overheated but in the majority of the nation where sanity has always prevailed things are just fine. Unemployment is still below 10% which means more than 90% of people who want to work are working. I think what were seeing is an attempt by the left to change the culture. If you can't afford a home should the govt. buy you one. That's where they want to take us.
    I agree on everything said here.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    People....are learning the cops....are the last ones to get to the scene of a crime.
    The cops are the ones that call EMT/ambulance or cornoner, so they're not quite the last ones to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Nothing says guilty more than the guy laying dead in your house after your door was forced open and he doesn't have an invitation to tea
    +1 on the guilty pronouncement!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links