First CSP Encounter

First CSP Encounter

This is a discussion on First CSP Encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I had my first encounter with a CSP (Colorado State Patrol) officer. I had just upgraded the map(s) on my GPS and wanted to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First CSP Encounter

Yesterday I had my first encounter with a CSP (Colorado State Patrol) officer.

I had just upgraded the map(s) on my GPS and wanted to program the trip I was making. I passed the CSP, who had someone pulled over, and stopped on the shoulder about 100 yards beyond him. I turned on my 4-way flashers and started to program the GPS.

I was really concentrating on this when I was startled by a faint tapping on my driver's side window. I quickly looked up and didn't see anyone. When I looked in the mirror I saw the cruiser right behind me. I finally saw the officer about even with my rear door (probably a good, safe place for him to be for what he was doing).

I rolled down my window and put my hands on the steering wheel. He asked "Are you OK? I saw you were hunched forward like maybe something was wrong."

I said "Oh, no, I'm fine, I just pulled over to program my GPS."

Then he said "Well, your doing it the right way by pulling over. Lots of people try to do it while they're driving."

I said "Yea, that and text on cell phones too."

We both laughed and he said "Have a good day."

I replied (sincerely) "You be safe."

He was very young looking but had obviously been well trained. I'm glad he checked on an old timer like me b/c I coulda been having a heart attack or something.

He didn't ask for my license or registration and I didn't offer to show him my CHL (we're not required to in Colo). I wonder if he ran my plates cause if he did, he would have seen that I was on the dangerous persons list b/c of my CHL.

Anyway, certainly a positive encounter.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    This is good to hear.

VIP Member
    Nice to hear about good encounters, thanks for the post.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

It was a good encounter but LEO situational awareness may not have been good if as you say, your vehicle registration has you listed on the DP list without any unique tag segregating CCW carriers from the actual dangerous persons then he should have confirmed you were legal. Maybe I'm wrong or don't understand the purpose of the DP list.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

good to hear about a good cop encunter for once.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I don't know about Colorado but in Missouri the indorsement is on your drivers license not on your car tags

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I do not remember anything on my Colorado application concerning anything about vehicles, they have my SSN and drivers licence number. I do not think running your plates will reveal your carry status. I know people started rumors along those lines when the CC law was first vote in, but I believe it is just a rumor.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Semper FI

In Colorado some county sheriffs enter your name in the database as a person of interest. I also heard that all LEOs are in the same database as a person of interest to alert other LEOs (this is only a rumor). Douglas County refused to enter the name and holds the list private. I heard Arapahoe County was one that did enter the names.

In Tx if they run your tags on a car registered to you it shows if you have a CHL
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

El Paso County does not enter names into the Colorado Criminal Database.

Counties that do:
    Adams, Alamosa, Archuleta, Arapahoe, Baca, Bent, Boulder, Broomfield, Clear Creek, Crowley, Denver, Delta, Dolores, Eagle, lbert, Fremont, Garfield, Gilpin, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Jefferson, Kit Carson, Lake, La Plata, Larimer, Lincoln, Logan, Mesa, Moffat, Montezuma, Montrose, Otero, Ouray, Park, Pitkin, Prowers, Rio Blanco, Rio Grande, San Juan, Teller, Yuma

If you live in one of those counties and want your name off the list, contact you local Sheriff/politician. They will need your vote in the future, so let them know your stance on CC and 2A.

It's more common now.

Don't cite me as a reference, but I think some agencies cross-check the license plate with the registered owner of the vehicle, and then the owner with the CHL database.

I have yet to hear confirmation of any county in Colorado that does not submit their info to the "List", or if they even have any control over it.

IIRC the CBI (Co. Bureau of Investigation) is who attaches the permit to the license plate - READ - if you have a permit, and the plate is registered to you, you are on the CBI list, and when your plate gets run, it gets a CBI flag that the officer has to open to find out if it is a warrant, conviction status, person of interest...
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

In Ohio, its linked to your plates. They know before they come up to the car if they have run your plates first. By law, we must notify here, so he will know if he runs them with your drivers license.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found raped and dead in an alley, strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker took two to the chest.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    In Colorado some county sheriffs enter your name in the database as a person of interest. I also heard that all LEOs are in the same database as a person of interest to alert other LEOs (this is only a rumor). Douglas County refused to enter the name and holds the list private. I heard Arapahoe County was one that did enter the names.
    So there is nothing in the data base to tell if teh person is a Dangerous Person, CCW holder or a LEO. Thats just plain crazy, the Database should come back with which catagory you were entered in!

In Michigan when the officer runs the plate it comes back that you are a CCW holder. It is also up to us to inform the officer as soon as approched that we are, and if we are carrying. I havn't had the pleasure yet, but from the contacts with LEO's in the process of getting my CCW I do not expect any trouble if it does occur.
    Only thing I need to rememeber is to say "I am a licensed Concealed Weapons Permit holder!" not "I have a gun!"

jfl
    I think there are many more "good" encounters (that I would call normal) than "bad" ones, as long as you do your part; attitude, respect, communication will go a long way towards a "good" (normal) encounter.
    Also the fact that people are more likely to report problems than normal situations. "News are created when something go wrong."
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links