Anyone else waiting in Texas?

This is a discussion on Anyone else waiting in Texas? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my CHL class on Feb 7th and am currently going crazy. DPS says it'll take 5 weeks before I'm even in the system, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else waiting in Texas?

Anyone else waiting in Texas?

Took my CHL class on Feb 7th and am currently going crazy. DPS says it'll take 5 weeks before I'm even in the system, and then another 6 weeks or so after that before I get the plastic..............
    What does everyone else do to take their minds off the wait??

My record is squeaky clean so hopefully I can zip through without any snags.
    Anyone in Texas just recently get their CHL? Would be interested to know how long it is currently taking.......

2. Remove Ads

Wife sent her paperwork in on Dec. 16th and her license in the mail. At least the web site says she has been approved and the license is on the way.

Good luck with the wait.

Now is the time to look into methods of carry. Figure out how your going to carry, what holster you want, get it ordered, and start to carry around the house to get a feel for it and work the kinks out.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Yeah, to add to my impatience....I shipped my new XD 40 subcompact (stainless ) to Scott at Springer Precision for a trigger job and some other goodies..... Have my PX4 at the house but I don't plan on carrying that.
    I plan to order a supertuck next week and also get their belt with the velcro behind it, I think the clips would be a little too obvious.
    Also toying around the idea of a smartcarry or that kangaroo deal for suit/tux days (I have a bajillion weddings to go to this summer).

Can't wait to get my XD back!!! Getting everything polished/coated in whatever that stuff is.....IonBond maybe... Got the carry/combat trigger job and a set of the TFO sights. Oh and I have a lasermax guide rod sitting here, also patiently waiting :)
    It's only been 2 1/2 weeks since I shipped it off, hopefully it won't be too much longer. I've heard good things about Scott and his work, I know i'll be blown away when I get it back.

Oh, and did I mention my wife hates the idea of me carrying, thats a whole 'nother issue

So your wife will get hers with a wait time of about two months, that rocks. I hope my wait is that short. I've heard nightmares but I'm hoping they've fixed the understaffing issues by now.

[QUOTE=MaleNursePX4;1033455]
    [QUOTE]

Get lots of range time in...
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Quote Originally Posted by MaleNursePX4 View Post
    Took my CHL class on Feb 7th and am currently going crazy. DPS says it'll take 5 weeks before I'm even in the system, and then another 6 weeks or so after that before I get the plastic..............

My record is squeaky clean so hopefully I can zip through without any snags.
    Anyone in Texas just recently get their CHL? Would be interested to know how long it is currently taking.......
    Here's a good Texas forum, there's an area dedicated to wait times members are currently experiencing:

TexasCHLforum.com • Index page

In the past year, wait times have increased to 6 months in some cases. If you get your plastic in 6 weeks after the mandatory 4 to 5 week waiting period after DPS receives your papers, you will be extremely blessed and probably be able to walk on water next.

You being 'squeaky' clean helps, but your address history can also slow things down. Those who have moved around a lot will most likely be delayed because it takes a while to check with all the Police Departments of those areas. When that happens, DPS is at the mercy of other agencies and how fast they respond to the DPS request. Another item hanging up a lot of folks these days is when they receive a letter back from DPS requesting either more information, or informing them that their fingerprints are not acceptable. If that happens, your wait time begins all over again once they have what they asked for in their hands.

I sent in my renewal packet back in December, honestly don't look for the renewed plastic until mid-March sometime..... even though I am also 'squeaky clean' and a former Texas Police Chief.

Find a range and improve your skills while you wait.

me too

I mailed the app Feb 9th, so we're in the same boat. One member suggested getting your carry rig together. I have been monitoring several classifieds looking for a kahr p40. When I go to my local range for a session this weekend, I plan to ask the owner to price me one. I would go ahead and order the m-tac, but thats really counting my chickens prematurely. I've seen lots of holsters for sale because the owner bought it in preperation for a specific gun, but never bought the gun.

My wait time will probably be longer than most because I listed 5 addresses(in two cities). Keep us posted on your status.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    Here's a good Texas forum, there's an area dedicated to wait times members are currently experiencing:

TexasCHLforum.com • Index page

In the past year, wait times have increased to 6 months in some cases. If you get your plastic in 6 weeks after the mandatory 4 to 5 week waiting period after DPS receives your papers, you will be extremely blessed and probably be able to walk on water next.

You being 'squeaky' clean helps, but your address history can also slow things down. Those who have moved around a lot will most likely be delayed because it takes a while to check with all the Police Departments of those areas. When that happens, DPS is at the mercy of other agencies and how fast they respond to the DPS request. Another item hanging up a lot of folks these days is when they receive a letter back from DPS requesting either more information, or informing them that their fingerprints are not acceptable. If that happens, your wait time begins all over again once they have what they asked for in their hands.

I sent in my renewal packet back in December, honestly don't look for the renewed plastic until mid-March sometime..... even though I am also 'squeaky clean' and a former Texas Police Chief.

Find a range and improve your skills while you wait.

Hmm, well I only listed my current address, and then two others from College Station from when I was at A&M (same area.....) So hopefully that won't be too big of an issue.
    Maybe a longer wait time would be a good thing (not for me.........for the wife to get used to the idea

Once I get my XD back i'll be hitting up the range more often. I put 100 rounds through it when I bought it and got the biggest blood blister of my life, hopefully the work from springer will take care of that issue.

The Texas Gulf Coast is taking longer than it should, because of "issues" surrounding Hurricane Ike. Mine took 150 days, while folks in Dallas and other areas are receiving theirs in as little as 35 days.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

I just got my plastic 2 weeks ago, it took about 4 and a half months from mailing the application to receiving the license.
    NRA Member

98 days but that was almost a year ago

while waiting;
    1. figure out how you will carry
    2. study all the Tx concealed carry laws so they are memorized
    3. review the carry laws for states you may be traveling into while carrying
    4. range time
    5. start looking for 30.06 signs so you will know places to avoid

142 days. Got mine in November.
    Supposedly it's not quite so bad now.... but it will feel like a *long* time.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I applied 23 Dec, waiting 8 weeks 3 days 4 hours 22 minutes, patiently druming my fingers on the desk and reading DC. The only thing I would add to the list is to carry at home as much as you can to get used to carrying a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    while waiting;
    1. figure out how you will carry
    2. study all the Tx concealed carry laws so they are memorized
    3. review the carry laws for states you may be traveling into while carrying
    4. range time
    5. start looking for 30.06 signs so you will know places to avoid

73 Days back in Nov.
    Weapons list suppressed...........

6 weeks? Thats a little too optimistic.

Just call me an optimist.....

I was just going by what the DPS told me yesterday when I called, they wouldn't tell me something that wasn't true....would they

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links