What other non-resident CCW will fill the gaps that a FL CCW does not?

This is a discussion on What other non-resident CCW will fill the gaps that a FL CCW does not? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have noticed that many of you have non-resident CCW permits. I assumes that is to fill in the blanks left by your current state. ...

I have noticed that many of you have non-resident CCW permits. I assumes that is to fill in the blanks left by your current state. What other non-res would be a good fit for an addition to my Florida CCW? I am not even sure which states accept out of state non-resident apps.
    2A is not negotiable

I do because I can and I do not trust fickle politicians to change the rules at any time. Look at WY. I have FL, UT and AZ. I think UT is a good second one. Hurry before they make folks come to UT for the course. $10 renewal for 5 years.

VIP Member
    NH & PA are good ones for $20 and $26. Print the form off and send with copy of Your permit.

VIP Member
    Go to Handgunlaw.us and build yourself a map.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

The Florida permit (especialy for a resident of Florida) is about as good as they get. Utah non-res is another widely recognized permit. New Hampshire non-res is cheap and easy to get and heps with duplication.

Personally, I use a non-res Florida and a non-res Virginia

CCW's

Quote Originally Posted by ltc-usa View Post
    I do because I can and I do not trust fickle politicians to change the rules at any time. Look at WY. I have FL, UT and AZ. I think UT is a good second one. Hurry before they make folks come to UT for the course. $10 renewal for 5 years.
    I'll in the process of applying for a NV/UT CCW. I'm considering applying for the FL permit as well. But I'm waiting to see if it's really worth it. UT & FL have states that almost match as well. I'm still taking a "wait & see" attitude about a FL CCW permit.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I'm considering applying for CCW permits that will give my coverage in Connecticut & Maine. I have family in those states so it would be helpful for future trips back east.

Connecticut has a non-resident permit available. Maine is a little more a challenge. If I can acquire at least one of these two states that would be great. My sister will be mailing a non-resident permit application in the near future. She's stopping by her local police station for an application for me.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I looked into this a while back. FL pretty much covers anything available. I think UT gets you one more mid-west state, although I cant remember which one. I decided it wasnt worth pursuing anything else ATM.

CT wasn't a problem to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    I'm considering applying for CCW permits that will give my coverage in Connecticut & Maine. I have family in those states so it would be helpful for future trips back east.

Connecticut has a non-resident permit available. Maine is a little more a challenge. If I can acquire at least one of these two states that would be great. My sister will be mailing a non-resident permit application in the near future. She's stopping by her local police station for an application for me.
    I too have family in CT and applied for their non-resident permit. As I recall it took awhile but I got it without a hitch.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I like the FL and UT permits. They are very similar in states but things can change. Just this week in the UT newspapers, UT BCI was getting complaints that some UT instructors in other states are rubber stamping the applications without proper training. There were rumblings that some states were not happy. If several states drop out then FL looks better. Just better to have some backup permits.

VIP Member

You can give DPS a call in CT 860-685-8441. They will send out the Non-Res app.

Maine State Police 207-624-7210 and They will send out the package. You can also get Maine on line at their site and print it off.

Both are easy to get. Good Luck.

If I were to pick one it would be FL. One reason is that Fl does not recognize permits that are not of the state of residence. So even if FL does have reciprocity with Utah, for example, it will not recognize your non-residence Utah license.

The other reason is that it has reciprocity with so many states. I think only Utah, and TX are comparable. I would have renewed my TX permit, but it did not offer but maybe one state that FL or Utah did not, and I did not want to go to TX to get the renewal training. That would have been only about 50 miles, but did not see that I needed it.

I still have Utah and AZ in addition to FL. Not sure I am going to keep AZ, but plan to keep Utah and FL as long as they will let me. Both have reciprocity with NM, but cover more states.

Regards,
    Jerry

I have CCW from Fl w/FL Non-drivers Id card,UT,PA,CT,NH, and Maine. I like to collect things. I have non-drivers ID from FL,NV,CA,AZ. Never know what may come down the pike.

FL and UT are the best for non-res permits, but remember a number of states only accept their own permit, like CT,MASS,Maine. You should have your own state's permit as well, because a few states don't honor any 3rd party permits.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Maine is a little more a challenge.
    Maine honors Minnesota non-resident permits and Minnesota is shall-issue for non-residents.

Look into one of those.

About the best resource I have found for figuring this sort of thing out is HERE. You can check states to see what permits they honor as well as pile on permits and see your coverage change.

As a resident of NC it looks like the best I could do is 40 states by adding Utah and Minnesota. Florida wouldn't give me anything NC and UT don't already - but UT gives me 3 FL wouldn't.

Links