Cc @ post office

This is a discussion on Cc @ post office within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I see metal detector it gives me pause. Rare that I must go inside PO, I have probably forgotten. Does anyone know if someone ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cc @ post office

When I see metal detector it gives me pause.

Rare that I must go inside PO, I have probably forgotten.

Does anyone know if someone has been convicted of this?(just carrying) I don't know of any.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

Post Office...a couple of points...

I get most of my mail at a Post Office box I've had for years. I don't carry there, but the most dangerous thing I do every day is take my 1911 out of the holster in the parking lot & the put it back in when I return to the car. Most days I drive an almost new Corvette & the tight cockpit makes it a fairly difficult task...esp. putting it back in the holster. It's ridiculous to have to do that. Sometimes, I just leave it lying on the passenger seat covered by a magazine or jacket until I get to a place that I can get partially out of the car to have more room.

Secondly, the Post Office will ship handguns. I'm a FFL dealer and Master Dealer for Wilson Combat. I ship lots of handguns there. In my city, they're much easier to deal with than UPS or FedEX & are far more convenient. Plus, it's less expensive. I ship enough guns there that they don't even ask me the routine questions they're supposed to...Is anything perishible, Is anything potentially dangerous, etc., etc. When they see the size of the box, they know what's in it.

So, apparently they don't consider a handgun in a box to be a "Concealed Handgun"! If that's the case, how can they apply a double standard if it's concealed on your person? I suspect that even they haven't thought about that.

Rankin Arms Company
    Master Dealer, Wilson Combat
    Joe Rankin - Clay and Wings - Level III Shooting Instructor
    601-953-6615
    Rankin Arms Company
    www.rankinarms.com
    Wilson Combat Master Dealer
    Nighthawk Custom Preferred Dealer

"Life is tough...it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post
    Subsection (d)(3) states "subsection (a) [carrying of firearms] shall not apply to the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes."
    Anybody been hunting in a post office lately? Heck if you can hunt there, totin' a roscoe should be a breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Has any one you know ever set off the metal detector alarm at the post office by accident??? Any one want to be a test subject? Usually the trouble starts in the back. I wonder if they have a metal detector at the back entrance?
    I wonder who at the post office is going to try and stop me if I set off an alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Hummm...seems some here advocate breaking the law...

Rick
    No, but I would advocate testing a law that is ill conceived or worded. There's a discernible difference between breaking the law and civil disobedience.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYcarry View Post
    Those aren't metal detectors, those are the same things store use, so you don't steal their shipping supplies. Least the Post Office around here.
    +1 I am sure they are not metal detectors around here.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    No, but I would advocate testing a law that is ill conceived or worded. There's a discernible difference between breaking the law and civil disobedience.
    Press on then...you be right up there as the numeral uno. Talk is cheap! While you are at it...makes sure you tell them that you're just being disobedient.

Rick

VIP Member
    Attention Ladies and Gents: Unless you can provide with a reliable or a bunch of reliable links that show that you can carry peacefully (legally) in a post office, we will continue to affirm that it is not legal to carry in a post office.
    Since I have not seen yet one single solitary quote from a USPS official or otherwise federal showing on paper "Yes you can carry" we will not do the stupid thing and even discuss the probability that maybe you can 'cause the wording is weird. The last thing we want is having a less than attentive member end up wearing steel bracelets because he or she did not read through one of these posts.

If you feel that a stand should be made and the wording tested, by all means do it yourself. Contact the proper authorities telling them when, where and how you pretend to carry in the post office and let us know AFTER the fact and the results of your experiment. But do not try to incite or confuse members that are actually trying to abide by the law and are doing the smart thing by asking and being informed..
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    If you feel that a stand should be made and the wording tested, by all means do it yourself. Contact the proper authorities telling them when, where and how you pretend to carry in the post office and let us know AFTER the fact and the results of your experiment. But do not try to incite or confuse members that are actually trying to abide by the law and are doing the smart thing by asking and being informed..
    Actually, this has already been tested. The man was arrested and convicted for having a weapon in his car in the parking lot. (No, you cannot leave your gun in the car, either.)

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Actually, this has already been tested. The man was arrested and convicted for having a weapon in his car in the parking lot. (No, you cannot leave your gun in the car, either.)
    Now I'm not sure if this issue has been beaten to death as well, or if it warrants a new thread, but the law seems clear to me that you can't carry in federal BUILDINGS. Does this really include the parking lot? My normal procedure is disarming and locking my gun in my glove box in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by be44321 View Post
    Now I'm not sure if this issue has been beaten to death as well, or if it warrants a new thread, but the law seems clear to me that you can't carry in federal BUILDINGS. Does this really include the parking lot? My normal procedure is disarming and locking my gun in my glove box in the parking lot.
    For those that feel that this thread is a well beaten and fairly decomposed horse... feel free to "not post". I see good questions being asked and some good and some vague answers being presented.

I agree with those that leave the side arm in the vehicle. I will not go into the Post Office and take that chance. I wait in the car while my wife gets the mail. I would like to see where in the statutes it says you can't carry in your own vehicle. No, I don't park in the building so whats the problem? Do the feds over rule the Castle Doctrine as well? Home or vehicle.

The only dead beaten horse in this thread are those that continually beat that drum. The question was asked, the OP taken to task and those that keep flaming over this should be respectful and not add to duplicity and poor manners.
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
    minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
    by the clean end"

According to the text of the law:

(1) The term ''Federal facility'' means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo View Post
    I agree with those that leave the side arm in the vehicle. I will not go into the Post Office and take that chance. I wait in the car while my wife gets the mail. I would like to see where in the statutes it says you can't carry in your own vehicle. No, I don't park in the building so whats the problem?
    The problem is it against the law. Of course, if you think it fine then by all means...

It is not that you cannot carry in your vehicle but rather you cannot carry on Federal property. Period.

Now, in the particular case where the man was arrested, convicted and lost on appeal, he was an employee parked in the employee area. All the arguments were tried (twice) and failed, including the car being an extension of the home nonsense. This case was particularly interesting because they tried to use Heller as a defense during the appeal.

For those who feel comfortable breaking the law on Federal property, heed the words of the judge onappeal:

As previously addressed in this Court's prior opinion, the postal regulation at issue (39 C.F.R. § 232.1(l)) passes Second Amendment constitutional muster and is reasonable as applied to Dorosan. The Government has a significant interest in protecting the integrity of the purposes to which it has dedicated the property (facilitating postal transactions) and ensuring the security of postal employees and the public who must: (1) visit postal property to conduct official and personal business; (2) wait single file in roped off lines inside of postal facilities; (3) idle in vehicles single file in "snorkel lanes" on postal property to use "drive and drop" mail receptacles placed outside of the Post Office building; and (4) carry cash or other legal tender for stamps, money orders, passports and other goods and services provided by the United States Postal Service.
    Please note the bolded text. If carrying is prohibited idling in the 'snorkel lanes' it is not too different than idling in the connected parking lot.

If you go to the post office leave your gun at home.

All I see in that judge's statement is the same old BS reasoning that creates "Free Fire" zones. Does NOTHING to promote safety. ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    All I see in that judge's statement is the same old BS reasoning that creates "Free Fire" zones. Does NOTHING to promote safety. ridiculous.
    It has nothing to do with whether it promotes safety and everything to do whether it is legal. The judge weighed the facts with the law: guilty and decision upheld. Post office property is off limits.

There is no useful debate here.

VIP Member

Posted conspicuously at each public entrance

US Code
    18 USC 930

Session

Public Law
    110-177

Section

Statutes at Large Volume STAT. Page(s)
    18 USC 930 2007

930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.
    No such posting around here.

Your move.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    The problem is it against the law. Of course, if you think it fine then by all means...

It is not that you cannot carry in your vehicle but rather you cannot carry on Federal property. Period.

Now, in the particular case where the man was arrested, convicted and lost on appeal, he was an employee parked in the employee area. All the arguments were tried (twice) and failed, including the car being an extension of the home nonsense. This case was particularly interesting because they tried to use Heller as a defense during the appeal.

For those who feel comfortable breaking the law on Federal property, heed the words of the judge onappeal:

Please note the bolded text. If carrying is prohibited idling in the 'snorkel lanes' it is not too different than idling in the connected parking lot.

If you go to the post office leave your gun at home.
    Selfdefense,

Thanks for answering my question about leaving in my car in the parking lot, and for citing the court decision. Now I am curious how it can be illegal to carry on federal property and not just buildings, when you can legally carry into a federal courthouse and check your firearm in the public entry area. They are even required to provide a secure area to store your firearm. I would say that you are not only on the property, but inside the building at that point. Thoughts?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links