Defensive Carry banner

Cc @ post office

7K views 85 replies 48 participants last post by  64zebra 
#1 ·
Hello Friends,

Can we CC at post office ? I looked into Texas CHL book and didnt mention about post office. No 30.06 sign(s) at the post office (enterance) Under Section 46.03 (3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court. Is Post office partly of government office?

#2 ·
:gah::gah::gah:
:nono::nono::nono:
Where is the pop-corn ???

Sorry, couldn't resist; this is the most beaten up dead horse around.

For once I'll say: use the search !!!

#22 ·
That is correct; except that if you honestly didn't know about the statute, and there's no sign, you have a good defense at trial.

#8 ·
Concealed Carry in the Post Office

Some say yes, some say no.

As for me, I obey this sign:

You're free to make up your own mind.

As others have said, this is truly a :deadhorse: topic.

Please use the :search: function.

#10 ·
No carry in Fed Bldgs. :hand1:

That's why I go about 5 miles out of my way to go to a Post Office Contractor site. It is a store front, leased and operated by a Post Office contractor.
Also because there are no lines at the contractor location, (35 - 50 minute wait at the main Post Office.)
Try it, you'll like it. :smile:

#11 ·
If Federal said no carry at post office, I can respect that. Its no problem at all. They should put up 30.06 sign anyway ? What I'm trying to say if they dont put 30.06 signs on the enterance door, it will make me think it's ok to carry ?

IE: Hospital has 30.06 sign (legal sign- meet requirement) some Hospital has 30.06 sign (not legal sign letter block too small) I have heard that people say yes you can carry, no you cant carry. :confused:

#13 ·
Do the Fed's have to put up signs everywhere warning you can't brew and sell your own beer without a liquor license? There are scores of laws and no signs hanging everywhere to warn you. Ignorance of the law is no excuse in court. Federal law says no guns in federal buildings. Most people would read that to include park service buildings etc....

#12 ·
Basically it is not the "No carry in Federal buildings" CFR citation (law) that gets you on this one. It another CFR (law) that says no carry in Post Office. That's where the basic misunderstanding comes in. People will argue that PO's are not Federal Buildings anymore. But it doesn't matter if they are not. The PO is included in another federal regulation that specifically off limits guns in Post Offices. And that regulation requires them to post it too. The specific citation shows clearly in the previous posted picture of the sign in this thread. It is a entirely different CFR where it is contained from the Federal Buildings regulation.

#18 ·
You could try this link:

NRA-ILA ::

It isn't all the CFR's but the laws the NRA feels relate to gun owners.

#20 ·
Happy to help. Just glad you are asking the question rather than making assumptions.

#28 ·
This is reminding me of something that happened a couple of weeks ago. I was in the post office when another post middle aged guy swung open the door. He took one look at (what I assume is) the metal detector and then proceeded to cut between the door frame and the bars! He entered without going through the metal detector!

#29 ·
Sorry I'm so late... :popcorn: :rofl:

Seriously, because this is such a touchy area and seems to be different not only state to state but even town to town, not wanting to be the test case, I just pop my handgun in the car safe. :yup:

#30 ·
yep, touchy topic, too bad nobody will make case law for us :twak:

those signs in the PO are usually posted near the back portion of the building by the counters, so you only see them after you're in the building, and fyi...the sign does not state the entire section of USC...the missing subsection says no carry unless " for other legal purpose"...thats the debate...is licensed carry a legal purpose under this section...who will ever know

#32 ·
as z64 SAID....

"those signs in the PO are usually posted near the back portion of the building by the counters, so you only see them after you're in the building, and fyi...the sign does not state the entire section of USC...the missing subsection says no carry unless " for other legal purpose"...thats the debate...is licensed carry a legal purpose under this section...who will ever know"

I know several hummm, lets say people who know the law, that have stated that it means if you are legal on the street out in front the PO then you are good to go in the common areas for the public inside the PO building.

But no one is going to tell you that and the Postal officals sure are not. I pointed out the missing section (C) to my local postmaster, and his reply was, "Well, I never knew that".

#33 ·
So long as the feds vociferously claim relevance on the question, I maintain a PO box elsewhere (at a non-USPS facility). Works very well and sidesteps the issue until resolved in favor of sanity. In the meantime, while we're all pressing for that, I'm nobody's legal target.

#35 ·
That picture can't say it any clearer.I recommend you take heed and follow the
signs warnings as you now dealing with the Feds which means you have to go to Federal Court which tends to be way out of the way in my state over an hour to each one.Like one of the posters said this issue seems to come up at least every month.Where I live the post office has signs and metal detectors
to me that sounds like no carry!

#36 ·
I'd like to throw a monkey wrench in this.

Subsection (d)(3) states "subsection (a) [carrying of firearms] shall not apply to the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes."

Now I ask, what exactly is "other lawful purpose". :popcorn:

This is doubly annoying because PA has the same provision relating to the carry at primary and secondary schools.

#48 ·
Subsection (d)(3) states "subsection (a) [carrying of firearms] shall not apply to the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes."
Anybody been hunting in a post office lately? Heck if you can hunt there, totin' a roscoe should be a breeze!

Has any one you know ever set off the metal detector alarm at the post office by accident??? Any one want to be a test subject? Usually the trouble starts in the back. I wonder if they have a metal detector at the back entrance?
I wonder who at the post office is going to try and stop me if I set off an alarm.

Hummm...seems some here advocate breaking the law...

Rick
No, but I would advocate testing a law that is ill conceived or worded. There's a discernible difference between breaking the law and civil disobedience.

#38 ·

Now I ask, what exactly is "other lawful purpose". :popcorn:
It would seem to mean: CHL is kosher. But, what have the test cases (in criminal court) shown? Does anybody have examples??

#45 ·
Sure, you can. You can also be the next case prosecuted, because almost certainly you will be claimed to have been in violation of the law ... no matter the fact that the clittle clause is in their seemingly exempting "lawful use" (ie, CHL). It's not seen that way by the claimants (the gov't that's taking you to task).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.